Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

CT5-V 2023 CT5-V Blackwing Order Banks Closed!?

CT5-V Model
Wonder what this means for the 4 BW counterparts. I'm pretty peeved considering that my '22 order got moved back to a '23 but my dealer hasn't had ANY allocations for a 6 speed yet, and it's already been 5 months since Cadillac decided to move production to '23 with no word on the status of my order..
4BW could follow later, its known that the 5BW has more demand (V8+manual) and so the 4BW has less wait times.

However if the 5BW order books are closed then the I can't imagine the same won't happen to the 4BW in a few months. Assuming this is all legit and not just some nonsensical info that was poorly reported on.

I'm really hoping they've misspoken & mean the special editions ordering is closed...
I confirmed with my buddy at Caddy. The banks are completely closed for CT5-V Blackwings. They're still accepting CT5-Vs and 4-V Blackwings. He said it's reminiscent of the CT6-V closing allocation and then being discontinued. I hope not but if you look we're losing a ton of V8 high horsepower cars due to emissions constraints.
This Is How It Ends The End GIF by Breaking Bad

4BWs seem to be pretty easy to get. Sewell had several unspoken ones inbound when I checked and were willing to place an order for me.

Fortunately a friend already had the spec I wanted ordered and built from my local dealer and decided to go with a used 5BW instead. Unfortunately what is now my car was built over a month ago and is stuck in the MP goat pen.

I confirmed with my buddy at Caddy. The banks are completely closed for CT5-V Blackwings. They're still accepting CT5-Vs and 4-V Blackwings. He said it's reminiscent of the CT6-V closing allocation and then being discontinued. I hope not but if you look we're losing a ton of V8 high horsepower cars due to emissions constraints.
This seems so odd for it to be cancelled after '23 when they have said the semi aniline leather upgraded seats will be available separately from the carbon seats at a later date and those magnesium wheels are still supposed to be coming.

I guess all we can hope is that '24s still happen if its true the 23 order books are closed.

Although it wouldn't be the first time (CT6-V) that Cadillac has done a 180 and changed their tune or cancelled things shortly after.

I just picked my car up a few days ago and my dealer told me the same thing. I thought at the time he meant that their dealership was just not taking additional orders, but it is in line with this post. Seems so crazy, that they are limiting production so dramatically. It almost seems like Cadillac only wants to sell enough of the car to generate hype, and for the positive effect it has on the brand image, rather then it being a car they are leaning into and trying to meet demand. They have created quite a frenzy, and maybe they are just trying to keep it going. Anyone know if the BW models are vehicles are profitable for Cadillac, from the build numbers it seems not.

I second what the other poster said about being really grateful I got my 5BW, I know some of you have been waiting for a really long time.

Remember GM stopped taking orders for the Z06 for the rest of the calendar year, I wonder if this is just a misunderstanding that they aren't taking new orders until they can get caught up.

As an aside, I asked about the magnesium wheels in another group that has a bunch of GM folks in it. While nobody came right out and said it, I was left with the impression that the one set that was stolen and sold on e-bay was just a proof of concept and Cadillac never decided to put them in to production. I'd love to have a set myself but I don't think it's ever happening.

Emissions is a numbers game for GM. A couple hundred BWs equals virtually ZERO difference in their emissions average with hundreds of thousands of other higher MPG vehicles.

Emissions is a numbers game for GM. A couple hundred BWs equals virtually ZERO difference in their emissions average with hundreds of thousands of other higher MPG vehicles.
Maybe, and I know Subaru sells a lot more (or at least used to) Wrx STi's than Cadillac sells BWs, but the general consensus is the STi was canceled because of emissions challenges. So it's plausible

If it is true that '23 orders are over, if they plan on '24 models is there typically a time/month that orders will start?

the general consensus is the STi was canceled because of emissions challenges. So it's plausible

The Subaru EJ engine was cancelled due to emissions. This had been announced well in advance.

A guy on NASIOC who claims insider info and has a history of a couple of correct predictions says that Subaru was simply unable to tune the new FA motor to a state that an STI model would need.

That claim seems supported by the history of the FA in the WRX. When the VA chassis was rolled for 2015, the WRX got a new FA20 but the STI soldiered on with the old EJ25. With the VB chassis in 2022, the WRX got a displacement bump from 2.0 to 2.4. This was done to address driveability issues with the FA20, but seems to have left no room to increase displacement further for an STI motor.

The Subaru EJ engine was cancelled due to emissions. This had been announced well in advance.

A guy on NASIOC who claims insider info and has a history of a couple of correct predictions says that Subaru was simply unable to tune the new FA motor to a state that an STI model would need.

That claim seems supported by the history of the FA in the WRX. When the VA chassis was rolled for 2015, the WRX got a new FA20 but the STI soldiered on with the old EJ25. With the VB chassis in 2022, the WRX got a displacement bump from 2.0 to 2.4. This was done to address driveability issues with the FA20, but seems to have left no room to increase displacement further for an STI motor.
I see, good info, thanks. I read articles talking about emissions being at least part of the reason. I'm no expert so I'll leave that discussion to those who are.

Whatever the reason, the main reason I'm here is because there is no more STi 🙁. BW is a much nicer car though so I'm glad in a lot of ways.

Could this mean the end to the BW 5?

No. I really doubt it. GM does many things right, but they've never been good about creating exclusivity.

If it is in demand, GM till try to make as many as they can and for as long as they can.

I personally think the CT5 V Blackwing is going to be in production for a loooong time. The Blackwing engineers have made a golden goose and the GM bean counters are going to work her for all she's worth until she's begging for a humane death.

The way things are going GM is probably going to come up with a special edition for every year just to milk the most out of this.

Here is probably their product strategy along with the tagline for each year.

2023: 120 anniversary edition

2024: 20 years of V Edition. "Yep we've been shoving z06 engines into your grandpa's car for 20 years now, get some nice new badges and some stickers to celebrate."

2025: Final Edition. "It's the end of an era, get yours now, because it's all over after this."

2026: Encore Edition. "The cheering was so loud when we got off the stage, that we decided to do one final go at it. It's seriously over after this."

2027: Resurrection Edition. "We killed the beast but it wouldn't stay dead. Due to popular demand we resurrected the Blackwing. Nevermind production only stopped for a few weeks while we retooled the factory."

2028: 125th Anniversary Edition. "What kinda bs anniversary was 120 anyway?? This is the anniversary edition you really want."

2029: 25 years of V Edition. "Yeah, 20 years ain't a real anniversary either. Get the stickers that really matter"

2030: Chinese Blackwing Edition: "The legendary Cavalier nameplate returns as an EV subcompact SUV with an 800hp trimotor Ultium drivetrain in SS trim. To make room at the Lansing plant, all Blackwing production has moved to China, the only place in the world that still makes and buys sedans.

New features include:
Cadillac Smart Comrade Driver: broadcasts all your movements to a special Blackwing concierge service based in Chengdu.

All body panels now feature paint across the entire surface.

Orders go to instant 2000 status if you work for the US government or live near a military base."

2031: Blackwing leMans Victory Edition: "Finally after 8 years of trying, Cadillac wins Lemans. Of course all of the manufacturers have pulled out and Cadilliac was the only factory team, but no matter, a win is a win. Stickers for days yo."

2032: Blackwing 10th anniversary. "How have we been making this same car for 10 years? Let's celebrate our procrastination with a sticker package."

2033: Blackwing CT4 surround view edition. "We heard you, the CT4 BW now comes with a 360 camera."

No. I really doubt it. GM does many things right, but they've never been good about creating exclusivity.

If it is in demand, GM till try to make as many as they can and for as long as they can.

I personally think the CT5 V Blackwing is going to be in production for a loooong time. The Blackwing engineers have made a golden goose and the GM bean counters are going to work her for all she's worth until she's begging for a humane death.

The way things are going GM is probably going to come up with a special edition for every year just to milk the most out of this.

Here is probably their product strategy along with the tagline for each year.

2023: 120 anniversary edition

2024: 20 years of V Edition. "Yep we've been shoving z06 engines into your grandpa's car for 20 years now, get some nice new badges and some stickers to celebrate."

2025: Final Edition. "It's the end of an era, get yours now, because it's all over after this."

2026: Encore Edition. "The cheering was so loud when we got off the stage, that we decided to do one final go at it. It's seriously over after this."

2027: Resurrection Edition. "We killed the beast but it wouldn't stay dead. Due to popular demand we resurrected the Blackwing. Nevermind production only stopped for a few weeks while we retooled the factory."

2028: 125th Anniversary Edition. "What kinda bs anniversary was 120 anyway?? This is the anniversary edition you really want."

2029: 25 years of V Edition. "Yeah, 20 years ain't a real anniversary either. Get the stickers that really matter"

2030: Chinese Blackwing Edition: "The legendary Cavalier nameplate returns as an EV subcompact SUV with an 800hp trimotor Ultium drivetrain in SS trim. To make room at the Lansing plant, all Blackwing production has moved to China, the only place in the world that still makes and buys sedans.

New features include:
Cadillac Smart Comrade Driver: broadcasts all your movements to a special Blackwing concierge service based in Chengdu.

All body panels now feature paint across the entire surface.

Orders go to instant 2000 status if you work for the US government or live near a military base."

2031: Blackwing leMans Victory Edition: "Finally after 8 years of trying, Cadillac wins Lemans. Of course all of the manufacturers have pulled out and Cadilliac was the only factory team, but no matter, a win is a win. Stickers for days yo."

2032: Blackwing 10th anniversary. "How have we been making this same car for 10 years? Let's celebrate our procrastination with a sticker package."

2033: Blackwing CT4 surround view edition. "We heard you, the CT4 BW now comes with a 360 camera."
I must say... you put wayyyy too much effort into that post. Lol

I must say... you put wayyyy too much effort into that post. Lol
Ya we need more mouth-breathing FB-dad memes.
Awesome post 56! But I think you went OTT in one spot: no frickin way they ever paint the entire surface of a body panel. Suspension of disbelief only carries so far.

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Delaware Cadillac

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners

Back