Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

4BW LF4 Oil Consumption

raptor5244

Seasoned Member
V-Series Cadillac(s)?
2022 CT4-V Blackwing - 46-381
Hey, for those that change their own oil I am curious if you noticed any oil consumption between oil changes? I did my first oil change at 1,000 miles and then another at 2,500 miles, or 50% on the oil meter. I just did another change at 4500 miles, 40% on the oil meter and I noticed I was about a quart or so low. I saw a TSB that discusses what is considered normal or not. Just curious what others have experienced. See the TSB link and a snippet on aggressive driving. I have a M6 and keep rev match on but I don't track the car at all.

Screenshot 2024-01-01 at 2.09.58 PM.png

Last edited:
Are you filling with 7.0 quarts with each oil and filter change?

Are you filling with 7.0 quarts with each oil and filter change?
Yep, the only difference on this last oil change was I used the UPF63R filter instead of the PF63. I am only at 4500 miles so far so not sure if these LF4s tend burn a bit of oil during break-in or if turbo engines burn more in general. I don't drive a lot as I work from home. Maybe 3-4k miles per year.

I read that TSB and started wondering if it is normal for this engine or not?

I will keep a closer eye on the oil level for the next couple months.

Wait, so you've done 3 oil changes in 4500 total miles? Why?
The first one at 1000 miles is the initial oil change. Some do it at 500 miles, some around 1000. This can be debated to death and the LF4 doesn't specifically call for it but I prefer to get that initial oil out of there as a best practice as I have done with all my performance cars over the years.

As for the 2nd oil change at 2,500 miles, it was based off the built-in oil monitor system, which was at 40% remaining. The oil monitoring system factors in time as well as mileage since last oil change. My car is a 2022 and I don't drive a lot so the oil monitor will prompt me to change the oil based on time vs. the typical 5000-7500 miles some folks get between oil changes. For example, I was at 9 months since the last change and at 38% on the oil life monitor, but only drove 2000 miles since last change. At 12 months the monitor will say it is time for an oil change anyway.

Furthermore, if you research these LF4 V6 engines, it is recommended to change the oil a little sooner than waiting for 25% on the oil monitor. Nice guidance here from @WONT TAP

Screenshot 2024-01-01 at 6.41.16 PM.png

I have 3,800 miles on mine and at the first oil change the level was almost full. My first oil change was at 2,000 miles.

Are you resetting the oil life monitor after each change?

Are you resetting the oil life monitor after each change?
Yep, that is the easy part of the DIY oil change, ;) but valid point.

The algorithm of the oil life monitor has improved over the years. It tracks number of cold starts, time running after start, engine RPMs, load, etc. Since I don't drive much and take shorter trips I am sure it factors this in and reflects it in the calculation. If I still did a nice hour long highway commute I am sure I would get 8-10k miles before changes.

My main concern was oil consumption. Losing a quart over 2000 miles and 9 months may not be too bad based on that TSB I linked and considering I don't drive much, shorter trips, manual transmission with rev match and I don't baby it. Maybe it is excessive because the engine is still breaking in? The TSB says to wait until the engine has at least 4000 miles before measuring oil consumption anyway. I will start tracking it at each fuel fill up and see if I notice anything.

I’m learning this platform so can’t answer about the LF4 but you asked in general about turbo engines. My Focus RS which I drove from new for about 36K miles never burned oil and it was a turbo 4 cyl 2.3l and saw 5-6 track events.

I’m learning this platform so can’t answer about the LF4 but you asked in general about turbo engines. My Focus RS which I drove from new for about 36K miles never burned oil and it was a turbo 4 cyl 2.3l and saw 5-6 track events.
Yeah, it is interesting since when you research the topic it seems like "it depends" on the engine and design, etc.

For example, this write up from BMW states it very clearly but then my son has a Honda Civic with a 1.5l turbo and doesn't seem to consume any oil.

"Once a new or remanufactured engine has accumulated 10,000 miles, oil consumption can be considered if there is a drastic change in the engine oil consumption rate (e.g., the engine oil consumption rate triples) under similar driving conditions.

Engines equipped with a turbocharger(s) will consume more engine oil than normally aspirated engines (non-turbocharged). The additional oil that is consumed in a turbocharged engine is mainly due to the turbocharger lubrication requirements. Some of the engine oil normally migrates past the turbocharger turbine bearing seals and will enter the intake tract of the engine. All turbocharged engines also require a complex crankcase ventilation system. The crankcase ventilation system needs to maintain a small vacuum on the crankcase and not allow the crankcase to be pressurized.

Pressurizing the engine crankcase can lead to external engine oil leaks and increased engine oil consumption via the piston rings and valve seals. When the load and the boost level of a turbocharged engine is varied, the path of the crankcase pressure is changed. During the crankcase ventilation path transition, a small amount of engine oil will pass through the crankcase ventilation system and is additionally consumed. Oil residue found in these crankcase ventilation hoses is a normal condition for properly operating turbocharged engine. The additional engine oil consumption of a turbocharged engine, as compared to a normally aspirated engine, is normal and not a defect."

Yeah, it is interesting since when you research the topic it seems like "it depends" on the engine and design, etc.

For example, this write up from BMW states it very clearly but then my son has a Honda Civic with a 1.5l turbo and doesn't seem to consume any oil.

"Once a new or remanufactured engine has accumulated 10,000 miles, oil consumption can be considered if there is a drastic change in the engine oil consumption rate (e.g., the engine oil consumption rate triples) under similar driving conditions.

Engines equipped with a turbocharger(s) will consume more engine oil than normally aspirated engines (non-turbocharged). The additional oil that is consumed in a turbocharged engine is mainly due to the turbocharger lubrication requirements. Some of the engine oil normally migrates past the turbocharger turbine bearing seals and will enter the intake tract of the engine. All turbocharged engines also require a complex crankcase ventilation system. The crankcase ventilation system needs to maintain a small vacuum on the crankcase and not allow the crankcase to be pressurized.

Pressurizing the engine crankcase can lead to external engine oil leaks and increased engine oil consumption via the piston rings and valve seals. When the load and the boost level of a turbocharged engine is varied, the path of the crankcase pressure is changed. During the crankcase ventilation path transition, a small amount of engine oil will pass through the crankcase ventilation system and is additionally consumed. Oil residue found in these crankcase ventilation hoses is a normal condition for properly operating turbocharged engine. The additional engine oil consumption of a turbocharged engine, as compared to a normally aspirated engine, is normal and not a defect."
Keep an eye on your son's oil level. The 1.5L Turbo has an oil dilution problem in which the oil level goes up since gas is mixing with the oil in higher than normal amounts. That said, change your oil every 3k miles on that engine.

I did my first at 500 miles, 2nd at 2500 miles & about to do my third as I just hit 5k miles today. There is no such thing as doing too many oil changes 🤷‍♂️
Haven't noticed any consumption but I'm also not measuring the exact amount coming out. I've been driving very "aggressively" the last 2000 miles or so & the dipstick shows the same. I'll see how much drains out this weekend.

Hey I also had a Focus RS before I got my Midnight Steel ‘24 4BW! Also never had oil consumption on the RS in almost 50k miles.

Hey I also had a Focus RS before I got my Midnight Steel ‘24 4BW! Also never had oil consumption on the RS in almost 50k miles.
Nice, the RS was a great car and I think the Blackwing is an excellent upgrade that keeps a lot of the same great fun/feel the RS had, with a significant improvement in ride quality. I wish I could have kept the RS but have no regrets with the Blackwing.

I have a 2023 CTV-4BW. It's an Atlanta Raceway IMSA special edition and I'm not interested in trying to work around the side skirts and the big chin spoiler.

Plus, I have $2600 in bonuses on my GM credit card that I can spend on maintenance and accessories. I can sit in the dealer's nice waiting room and occasionally munch on great cookies. A female dealer staff member makes them, she's paid for it and she deserves it.

Strange situation to me, I've always done my own oil changes for 60 yrs.

To the point, I had the oil changed at 680 miles, religiously followed the breakin guidance. Now at 2680 miles, the oil is absolutely at the top of the dipstick.

Car runs beautifully. Don

Last edited:
Did my own break in oil/diff change just shy of 1500 miles and now did the second one at just over 7k. It used about a 1/4 of a quart in that 5500 miles so not bad at all as far as I’m concerned. Especially considering how much fun I had with it during that time. My car is an A10 though.

Last edited:
Did my own break in oil/diff change just shy of 1500 miles and now did the second one at just over 7k. It used about a 1/4 of a quart in that 5500 miles so not bad at all as far as I’m concerned. Especially considering how much fun I had with it during that time. My car is an A10 though.
I would bet that driven in same manner and same mileage that it will be 1/2 or less of that amount next change at least it should be. Glad to see you monitor it and nothing seems out of normalcy as of now.

One has to take an almost scientific procedure to determine oil usage rates. Consistent conditions for checking the level are step one. I think an overnight rest on level ground is the generally preferred process.

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Delaware Cadillac

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners

Back