Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

CT4-V 4BW OEM brake pad life

Cadillac CT4-V model

Alex71

V-Series Cadillac(s)?
Ct4v blackwing
Hey guys, I searched the forums but couldn't find a similar thread... How many miles are you all getting from your stock brake pads with normal driving - no track use? I have 13K miles on my car and the brakes are squealing. I haven't had a chance to take the wheels off yet, but if these pads have that short of a lifespan I will just replace them now. If others are getting more life out of them I'll take it to the dealer.

Thanks

Up until recently, you would put pad lube on the edges of Brembo pads where they contact the caliper to prevent squealing. I just installed an OEM set this week on my 5BW and saw they no longer include / use that lube (I think it's part of their copper-free setup.) Thankfully my factory pads never squealed (did for a bit in my V3.)

I guess it's going to be hard to find a 4bw with more miles than that ;) I picked mine up in November 2021, so pretty close to the beginning.

Anyway, my brakes have been quiet until a week ago.

Up until recently, you would put pad lube on the edges of Brembo pads where they contact the caliper to prevent squealing. I just installed an OEM set this week on my 5BW and saw they no longer include / use that lube (I think it's part of their copper-free setup.) Thankfully my factory pads never squealed (did for a bit in my V3.)
How many miles did you get from the first set? Tracked or all street?

If they are squeaking badly one thing that you can do is get some heat in them to "clean" the mating surface of the pad/rotor. On a "racetrack" get up to at least 100mph and brake really hard down to about 10mph. By really hard, I mean almost into ABS. Using the G-meter will help...0.8Gs should do it. Do this 2 or 3 times in a row and it might help some.

there's a pad sensor that wears through and alerts you in the dash when they are done. as soon as it says they are done they are DONE. don't wait any longer. i'm on my second set of rear pads and third set of fronts at 5k, but that is in a 5 with a lot of track use.

If they are squeaking badly one thing that you can do is get some heat in them to "clean" the mating surface of the pad/rotor. On a "racetrack" get up to at least 100mph and brake really hard down to about 10mph. By really hard, I mean almost into ABS. Using the G-meter will help...0.8Gs should do it. Do this 2 or 3 times in a row and it might help some.
Planning to do that when the opportunity comes up...

4BW with about 12K miles. I, too, noticed my break pads squeaking more now. Never noticed it until recently that weather is nicer and I have the windows down.

On my 5bw, the brakes squeak unless I do that bedding process (high speed -> heavy braking a few times). Not sure why it comes back though. It's not very luxury automobile, rolling up to stoplights squeaking. sigh

there's a pad sensor that wears through and alerts you in the dash when they are done. as soon as it says they are done they are DONE. don't wait any longer. i'm on my second set of rear pads and third set of fronts at 5k, but that is in a 5 with a lot of track use.
How much are is a set front and rear for the 5?

Here’s pics showing how done they are when the sensor alerts you in the dash

Attachments

• FB820271-44B4-45D9-8596-01DA575160C2.jpeg
    FB820271-44B4-45D9-8596-01DA575160C2.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 142
  • 2301899B-3CB4-4F17-8D54-2A935BD877E0.jpeg
    2301899B-3CB4-4F17-8D54-2A935BD877E0.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 143
  • 505C5E05-F05A-469B-933B-C7371771F2BA.jpeg
    505C5E05-F05A-469B-933B-C7371771F2BA.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 142
Mine squeal like a school bus in warm weather with only 6k on the car. In cold weather they are fine. The dealer won’t do anything about it despite acknowledging they are obnoxiously loud.

[Pardon the threadjack, but...]

Anybody trying aftermarket pads, for DD or track? I'd be curious how that impacts the brake-by-wire system. Not sure I'd want to be the guinea pig for that...

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Delaware Cadillac

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners

Back