Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

Rear Diff Fluid

Glad I have all my VW tools, still. Torx and triple squares for days.
I have everything up to T55. Of course this is larger…..Picked up a T70 and it seems to fit from a quick test fit without getting the car in the air

I have everything up to T55. Of course this is larger…..Picked up a T70 and it seems to fit from a quick test fit without getting the car in the air
Just changed mine. Extremely easy to do. It is in fact a t70. Plugs get retightened to 50nm.

I know it’s similar, but I used 14mm hex socket. Direct fit to my 4BW.
EFC06DA0-FC96-4997-BED4-21FA9FE6DDD5.jpeg

Could look this up, but since folks have direct experience, what’s the rear diff capacity on the 5BW?

Last edited:
Anyone change the diff fluid on a 4BW yet?

I called. Dealer did not know. They said somebody from service needs to dig into the service manual, as the car is too new and it doesn’t show under the parts list. They had several options which 2 of them listed above. Didn’t know which one is the correct item.
Big surprise that dealer didn’t know. They suck

I did. 15 minutes work. No issues.

Is there just the one drain and fill via the rear facing plugs? I thought I read something about a driver side and passengers side. Maybe one is for the cooler?

So there is no procedure for sucking the oil out of the cooler loop? This is my first vehicle with a diff cooler.

Look at my pic above ( with the orange glove). The bottom plug is for drain. The one above it is for filling.

Thanks, that is what I thought but I saw this on the Tapout Tuning site and I was wondering if there was more to it on these cars since I saw drivers side and passenger side...

Screen Shot 2022-09-07 at 8.17.05 AM.png

Thanks, that is what I thought but I saw this on the Tapout Tuning site and I was wondering if there was more to it on these cars since I saw drivers side and passenger side...

View attachment 12498
I've never heard of the passenger's side fluid. I does not mean that I'm not wrong. Haven't heard about it in the Camaro world as well. Also, the fluid number that I used for the rear diff was 19418501. Different number for 5BW. I followed the owners manual and added 1.3 qt (not 1.6 as this doc indicate).

You do not want to mess with the ELSD fluid just the diff fluid itself. Treat it as if it did not have ELSD and it was a standard diff.

I took my ZL1 1LE in for the diff service and I was quoted an outrageous amount of money which prompted a talk with the Service Manager. Ultimately, we figured out that they had quoted the ELSD service and not the standard diff service.

I was just looking at the FSM for the 5BW. For diff fluid replacement it just mentioned the one set of drain and fill plugs.

I can't find a procedure to flush the diff cooler and it looks like the diff cooler is actually tied into the transmission fluid cooler.

I was just looking at the FSM for the 5BW. For diff fluid replacement it just mentioned the one set of drain and fill plugs.

I can't find a procedure to flush the diff cooler and it looks like the diff cooler is actually tied into the transmission fluid cooler.
That could mean two different things. They share the same cooler, but independent fluid lines or they share the same fluid (highly unlikely).

Regarding the amount of fluid to replace does the FSM say to add a the specific amount or to fill until fluid flows from the top hole?

Anyone know where to get the factory service manual for the 5BW at a decent price?

That could mean two different things. They share the same cooler, but independent fluid lines or they share the same fluid (highly unlikely).

Regarding the amount of fluid to replace does the FSM say to add a the specific amount or to fill until fluid flows from the top hole?
The FSM only talks about filling the trans and the diff as far as I can tell. Manu trans they say to fell until it it 1/8th in below the fill plug.

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Delaware Cadillac

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners

Back