Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

Detailing thread

Don't make yourself batshit crazy. Touch it up as best you can and let the PPF take care of the rest. Only you ( and the internet) will know it's chipped😉.
THIS ^^^^^^^ !

How much of a PIA are those tech bronze wheels to keep clean? Looking at them gives lights up all my OCD neural connections.

Haven't driven my car much so I will reply based off my experience owning many mesh style wheels. I coat the wheels with a paint coating which makes cleaning them much easier and love wheel woollie brushes to clean the barrels. I just use a microfiber to clean the spokes. I don't find them to be too difficult. On my blackwing, it has CCB so I think cleaning will be just soap and water or a quick blast with the pressure washer for the most part.

Nice work. I use griots with my high-speed directional polisher and Adam products for my orbitals
Thank you.

I used a rotary for years with a lot of menzerna products and a couple years ago started trying the newer DA machines. I was really impressed with them, especially the microfiber pads for cutting. So now I currently have too many machines. I never tried the Adams products. Way back a lot of their stuff was just rebranded Chemical guys and I was never very impressed with CG so I just didn't bother. Big score for Adams getting the OEMS to offer their products though. I'm sure it's good stuff. I just have way too many products to try anything else right now.

My first real entry into machine polishing was the Porter Cable 7424, then I got a rotary and used that combo for well over a decade. It look a long time for me to think it was worth trying the newer DA with microfiber pads. (Why change if what I'm using is working?) I'm not a Griots fan boy but I do like several of their products and currently own 3 of their DA machines. There are so many good products on the market these days compared to 20 years ago when I started doing this. I am a big fan of Rupes pads as well.

Last edited:
Haven't driven my car much so I will reply based off my experience owning many mesh style wheels. I coat the wheels with a paint coating which makes cleaning them much easier and love wheel woollie brushes to clean the barrels. I just use a microfiber to clean the spokes. I don't find them to be too difficult. On my blackwing, it has CCB so I think cleaning will be just soap and water or a quick blast with the pressure washer for the most part.

Thank you.

I used a rotary for years with a lot of menzerna products and a couple years ago started trying the newer DA machines. I was really impressed with them, especially the microfiber pads for cutting. So now I currently have too many machines. I never tried the Adams products. Way back a lot of their stuff was just rebranded Chemical guys and I was never very impressed with CG so I just didn't bother. Big score for Adams getting the OEMS to offer their products though. I'm sure it's good stuff. I just have way too many products to try anything else right now.

My first real entry into machine polishing was the Porter Cable 7424, then I got a rotary and used that combo for well over a decade. It look a long time for me to think it was worth trying the newer DA with microfiber pads. (Why change if what I'm using is working?) I'm not a Griots fan boy but I do like several of their products and current own 3 of their DA machines. There are so many good products on the market these days compared to 20 years ago when I started doing this. I am a big fan of Rupes pads as well.
I use the $99 Bauer long throw DA. Then I switched out the 6in back plate to a Lake Country 5 in aero back plate. I've had good luck with LC waffle pads. I have way more control with a 5 in pad and it stays cooler, so the paint never gets burned. Plus it's easier on the machine and the pads.

I agree that there are so many amazing compounds and polishes, as I used to use meguiars m101 or 105 but they seem difficult to use compared to some of the newer stuff. Lately I have had good luck with Shine Supply which is local to me.

What's the paint like on the BW? Is it soft like a Japanese car or hard like a German car?

I use the $99 Bauer long throw DA. Then I switched out the 6in back plate to a Lake Country 5 in aero back plate. I've had good luck with LC waffle pads. I have way more control with a 5 in pad and it stays cooler, so the paint never gets burned. Plus it's easier on the machine and the pads.

I agree that there are so many amazing compounds and polishes, as I used to use meguiars m101 or 105 but they seem difficult to use compared to some of the newer stuff. Lately I have had good luck with Shine Supply which is local to me.

What's the paint like on the BW? Is it soft like a Japanese car or hard like a German car?

I have a few friends who use that machine and like it. I tend to use 5" pads as well. I have not used Shine Supply but see them mentioned a lot.

The Black Raven is super soft. Softer then our black Subaru paint was and softer than our black Porsche paint was.

GM used to be known for having hard clear. Especially Corvettes like the C5. The C6 is when I believe paint switched and came softer. I think the switch to more environmentally friendly paints really did a number on both paint quality and having some hardness.

I have a few friends who use that machine and like it. I tend to use 5" pads as well. I have not used Shine Supply but see them mentioned a lot.

The Black Raven is super soft. Softer then our black Subaru paint was and softer than our black Porsche paint was.

GM used to be known for having hard clear. Especially Corvettes like the C5. The C6 is when I believe paint switched and came softer. I think the switch to more environmentally friendly paints really did a number on both paint quality and having some hardness.

I dunno, my electron blue C5 z06 has super soft clear. You look at it hard and it swirls. That's why I got full PPF on the blackwing, mostly for swirls.

How much of a PIA are those tech bronze wheels to keep clean? Looking at them gives lights up all my OCD neural connections.
I have the tech bronze wheels with steel brakes. They get pretty coated with dust after just 100 miles, but they don't actually look too bad dusted up, ha. As for cleaning...not that bad. I use a speed master brush first, and then a microfiber mitt. Also, Meguiar's Ultimate wheel cleaner with iron remover works wonders. I can can get all the wheels and tires clean in about 15 minutes.

I used to go crazy cleaning the silver wheels on the bmw. The m-sport pads were grippier and made more dust than the non m-sports apparently. I even got black wheels for my winters cause I was sick of it. I know you guy say brushes are great, but elbow grease was the only thing that seemed to work.

Then I put ceramic akebono pads on, and all was right with the world. So much easier.

C212070A-8C62-40EE-B18E-83F24BCB3122.jpeg

I dunno, my electron blue C5 z06 has super soft clear. You look at it hard and it swirls. That's why I got full PPF on the blackwing, mostly for swirls.
I will rephrase that. Most C5 vettes had very hard clear. :) There's always exceptions. Like BMW's in the early 2000's usually had harder clear but the jet black ones were awfully soft and swirled incredibly easy.

But I agree with the full PPF. It's the same reason my blackwing is getting full PPF. I want to do this paint correction once and then focus on enjoying it. I don't need to get stressed if a passenger touches the paint on accident or closes the door wrong.

Just picked up my 5MT last night - and trying to understand all the great info on here. Any recommendations for a good (and reasonable) PPF/Ceramic guy in the Detroit area? Also - thinking of waiting maybe until spring to do it - bank account needs to recover a bit, LOL. However, may want to at least coat the wheels before any brake dust builds up. What is a recommended DIY ceramic spray that I can use on the wheels? And, I'd like to PPF the door sills to start with - is PPF hard to DIY? Thanks!

Just picked up my 5MT last night - and trying to understand all the great info on here. Any recommendations for a good (and reasonable) PPF/Ceramic guy in the Detroit area? Also - thinking of waiting maybe until spring to do it - bank account needs to recover a bit, LOL. However, may want to at least coat the wheels before any brake dust builds up. What is a recommended DIY ceramic spray that I can use on the wheels? And, I'd like to PPF the door sills to start with - is PPF hard to DIY? Thanks!
I've used Adam's products on my wheels before and was pleased with the procedure and results.

PPF dyi is not really a thing. It's very difficult for most people who have no experience. Even those who have worked with wraps and window tint have challenges. Ive tinted windows before on a few vehicles and I bought PPF off eBay about 10 years ago. It was precut and cheap stuff but I was only using it for track days. I can tell you it was a shit show to trying to apply it. The hood turned out but anything with an angle it looked terrible.

Like many things, it's a skill and your best finding the best installer you can, product is important but application is way more important.

You don't want them cutting your paint up or doing a hack job on your 100k BW.

BTW..Congratulations on scoring a BW!

If your low on funds, at least get the front bumper and lights and possibly the hood and fenders done in ppf. Wax the rest of the car yourself until you can ceramic or PPF the whole car.

The going rate for xpel ppf:

$400-500 per panel
$100 for pair of headlights, or pair of mirrors or door sills or top of the rear bumper by the trunk lid.
Door edge guards about $25 per door.

I got quotes to do the front clip( full hood, fenders, bumper, headlights, mirrors) $3k out the door and another guy quoted me $2200.

Whole car in PPF with Ceramic on top is $6k-$8500.

I've gotten quotes for paint correction and ceramic on the whole car for as low as $700 for 2 year protection all the way up to $2k for the top grade pro stuff which supposed to last 7 yrs :rolleyes: :ROFLMAO: ( assuming you never scratch the car).

BTW..Congratulations on scoring a BW!

If your low on funds, at least get the front bumper and lights and possibly the hood and fenders done in ppf. Wax the rest of the car yourself until you can ceramic or PPF the whole car.

The going rate for xpel ppf:

$400-500 per panel
$100 for pair of headlights, or pair of mirrors or door sills or top of the rear bumper by the trunk lid.
Door edge guards about $25 per door.

I got quotes to do the front clip( full hood, fenders, bumper, headlights, mirrors) $3k out the door and another guy quoted me $2200.

Whole car in PPF with Ceramic on top is $6k-$8500.

I've gotten quotes for paint correction and ceramic on the whole car for as low as $700 for 2 year protection all the way up to $2k for the top grade pro stuff which supposed to last 7 yrs :rolleyes: :ROFLMAO: ( assuming you never scratch the car).
Thx for this detailed info, @Neveready! Much appreciated and very helpful. I think I will go with the staggered approach - front parts first and more later. Need to read up on DIY ceramic, maybe that's an option?

PPF dyi is not really a thing. It's very difficult for most people who have no experience. Even those who have worked with wraps and window tint have challenges. Ive tinted windows before on a few vehicles and I bought PPF off eBay about 10 years ago. It was precut and cheap stuff but I was only using it for track days. I can tell you it was a shit show to trying to apply it. The hood turned out but anything with an angle it looked terrible.

Like many things, it's a skill and your best finding the best installer you can, product is important but application is way more important.

You don't want them cutting your paint up or doing a hack job on your 100k BW.
Right on...great advice, thx!

Diamond Detailz if you're willing to travel to Washington TwP. He's now done 4 Blackwings including mine. Young kid, but stands behind his work and is trusted with heavy metal like local McLaren 720s.

Finally got some time to give her a quick first detail.

This is after foam cannon, iron remover, and finished with a spray wax. I'll be PPF'ing soon so this is an intermediate step.

Attachments

• 20220823_151056.jpg
    20220823_151056.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 101
  • 20220823_175152.jpg
    20220823_175152.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 89
  • 20220823_175218.jpg
    20220823_175218.jpg
    968 KB · Views: 99
  • 20220823_192438.jpg
    20220823_192438.jpg