Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

Detailing thread

I've got to take my 5 back to detailer because I got a rock chip somehow coming home Saturday night from car show... Will have to replace the PPF and see what the paint looks like.... Made me sick when I saw it!
IMG_5495.jpg

I've got to take my 5 back to detailer because I got a rock chip somehow coming home Saturday night from car show... Will have to replace the PPF and see what the paint looks like.... Made me sick when I saw it!
View attachment 11456
is it through the ppf? Hopefully the ppf protected it .. this will happen over time...I would not replace unless it's really bad. This is the intent for ppf. . you will keep getting rock hits depending on where you are

Seeing that is making me second guess getting PPF. My cars usually get hammered down low on the front bumper. I really hadn’t planned on replacing the PPF from rock chip damage. Looks a lot worse size wise than it would have been without PPF. Hopefully it didn’t penetrate through.

View attachment 11456
That’s not a chip that’s a freaking crater! Absolutely paint work there bummer

Seeing that is making me second guess getting PPF. My cars usually get hammered down low on the front bumper. I really hadn’t planned on replacing the PPF from rock chip damage. Looks a lot worse size wise than it would have been without PPF. Hopefully it didn’t penetrate through.
I hear you, but nothing is impenetrable. I'd just think of how many more chips I'd have had without it.
FYI... they do have slightly thicker ppf's available for extra protection too if you think you're at a higher risk than typical.

I think it might be through the PPF but will see... I will be replacing the PPF and repairing it no matter what! To me that looks like a dog turd on the 18th green at Augusta Nationals! Oh well, it happens I guess, and people wonder why I don't drive it all the time...... I have the self healing PPF so maybe I will get lucky?

I think it might be through the PPF but will see... I will be replacing the PPF and repairing it no matter what! To me that looks like a dog turd on the 18th green at Augusta Nationals! Oh well, it happens I guess, and people wonder why I don't drive it all the time...... I have the self healing PPF so maybe I will get lucky?

It won't heal that. Only the very top thin layer of the PPF will heal fine scratches or swirls.

I also had some rocks penetrate the PPF on the X3M. Usually the paint is spared unless the impact was enough to dent the panel. I had them put 10mil PPF on the front of the blackwing to help with that.

I do echo the sentiments of others here that if you replace the PPF every time it catches a rock that it's kinda defeating the point of the PPF. Just get it replaced at set intervals once you collect more rock tears.

Thought it looks like you are lucky that it's on that small panel. If replacing have them replace it with 10mil film.

It won't heal that. Only the very top thin layer of the PPF will heal fine scratches or swirls.

I also had some rocks penetrate the PPF on the X3M. Usually the paint is spared unless the impact was enough to dent the panel. I had them put 10mil PPF on the front of the blackwing to help with that.

I do echo the sentiments of others here that if you replace the PPF every time it catches a rock that it's kinda defeating the point of the PPF. Just get it replaced at set intervals once you collect more rock tears.

Thought it looks like you are lucky that it's on that small panel. If replacing have them replace it with 10mil film.
I see everyone's point, and I have one other place that has a chip but that looks like shit and I cant stand to look at that.....

That was really my point. The PPF seems to show rock chips in a more pronounced way since the film impact site gets torn. I would wait until I accumulated a fair amount before replacing. - I'm not an endless money dispenser.

I do the same thing with minor bumper scrapes that occur when people think it's OK to use the bumper check method when parking. When I lived in LA it was impossible to keep a DD car from getting a lot of bumper rash. I would wait long enough for a serious one that took out a bumper or fender and then do the repair. Thank God I haven't lived in LA for 10 years and don't have to deal with those apes anymore.

I don't know what hell happened because I didn't hear or see anything that would cause me to be alarmed.. I was on one the best road in the area (PGBT) and did not get behind any trucks.... Shit happens, I will get it looked at and repaired, only problem is I don't want to uncover the car to see it! UGH!!!!!!!

I see everyone's point, and I have one other place that has a chip but that looks like shit and I cant stand to look at that.....
I'm like you in that respect. Every time I'd go on vacation I'd leave my SS with my body guy for touch up or more (didn't have PPF). I believe that you got the LLumar Valor (that I'm getting right now)... and it has a crazy 12 yr warranty. I'll check with my guy (picking up car tomorrow?) And you check with yours to see what it covers (supplies, labor, type of damage/wear, number of times,...?). Maybe you'll luck out. 🤞

I don't know what hell happened because I didn't hear or see anything that would cause me to be alarmed.. I was on one the best road in the area (PGBT) and did not get behind any trucks.... Shit happens, I will get it looked at and repaired, only problem is I don't want to uncover the car to see it! UGH!!!!!!!
I had a mark like that on the lower front bumper and peeled the PPF off and no markings underneath.

View attachment 11456
If that stone would have skipped along, maybe a far different story! Thankfully it appears it did not. :)

This is exactly why I've never gotten PPF on my cars. Because I know that as soon as I do, a brick will fall off the truck in front of me.
Nah, stuff self heals man.
Like if Terminator2000 and Wolverine had a baby - it'll just grow a new hood: paint procreation film ;)

Just got my car back from the detailed and just wanted to give them a shout-out. I had never used them but they did a great job with the PPF on the front clip. They also fixed the one place I found on the paint which wasn't the paint but some adhesive left from what ever they had over the car. If you are in the Indy area, Two Guys Window Tinting does great work.

I had a little free time last night and worked on more paint correction. I found a nice paint chip on the leading edge of the passenger door where it meets the front fender. The amount of defects I'm finding is ridiculous. I towed the car home in an enclosed trailer from the dealer who left all the wrappers on it and did not wash it. It still has 4 miles on it.

Paint chip
tempImagegp1eyh.png

Passenger side before. Notice the two 6-7" circle areas where it appears someone spot sanded dirt nibs or something then tried to quickly polish out the sanding marks.

tempImageZFghrN.png

The lower part of the fender where the vent is was buffed by someone who should not be holding a buffer. Hard to see in the photo but it has buffer trails/holograms.

tempImage0dyDg5.png

After griots fast correcting cream with a griots microfiber pad and then griots perfecting cream with a Rupes yellow polishing pad.

tempImagedcYTTO.png

After FCC and MF pad (First stage of correction)

tempImaged8Xqyb.png

After both stages of correction

tempImageYkaipX.png

The paint looks much deeper, wetter and more black after correcting. Really noticeable in person. Hoping to finish the car this weekend. My wife's birthday is today so I might need to spend some time with her.
tempImageOZDX89.png

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Delaware Cadillac

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners