Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

Detailing thread

I had a little free time last night and worked on more paint correction. I found a nice paint chip on the leading edge of the passenger door where it meets the front fender. The amount of defects I'm finding is ridiculous. I towed the car home in an enclosed trailer from the dealer who left all the wrappers on it and did not wash it. It still has 4 miles on it.

Paint chip
View attachment 11661

Passenger side before. Notice the two 6-7" circle areas where it appears someone spot sanded dirt nibs or something then tried to quickly polish out the sanding marks.

View attachment 11662

The lower part of the fender where the vent is was buffed by someone who should not be holding a buffer. Hard to see in the photo but it has buffer trails/holograms.

View attachment 11663

After griots fast correcting cream with a griots microfiber pad and then griots perfecting cream with a Rupes yellow polishing pad.

View attachment 11664

After FCC and MF pad (First stage of correction)

View attachment 11665

After both stages of correction

View attachment 11666

The paint looks much deeper, wetter and more black after correcting. Really noticeable in person. Hoping to finish the car this weekend. My wife's birthday is today so I might need to spend some time with her.
View attachment 11667
upside down head GIF

Nice work! What do you plan to do about the paint chip?

upside down head GIF

Nice work! What do you plan to do about the paint chip?

Thank you.

I'm ordering some touch up paint. My wife just got a different model Black Raven Caddy so I'm going to need some touchup eventually. I also found two paint scrapes on the drivers front wheel well edge so I need to touch those up and I'm not done with the paint correction so who knows what else I will find besides all the bubbles, drips, dirt nibs, etc. My 2003 2500HD has better paint quality. It's very frustrating.

Blackwing gets full PPF week of 29th.

Her vehicle gets full front, lowers and rear bumper the same week.

Last edited:
I had a little free time last night and worked on more paint correction. I found a nice paint chip on the leading edge of the passenger door where it meets the front fender. The amount of defects I'm finding is ridiculous. I towed the car home in an enclosed trailer from the dealer who left all the wrappers on it and did not wash it. It still has 4 miles on it.

Paint chip
View attachment 11661

Passenger side before. Notice the two 6-7" circle areas where it appears someone spot sanded dirt nibs or something then tried to quickly polish out the sanding marks.

View attachment 11662

The lower part of the fender where the vent is was buffed by someone who should not be holding a buffer. Hard to see in the photo but it has buffer trails/holograms.

View attachment 11663

After griots fast correcting cream with a griots microfiber pad and then griots perfecting cream with a Rupes yellow polishing pad.

View attachment 11664

After FCC and MF pad (First stage of correction)

View attachment 11665

After both stages of correction

View attachment 11666

The paint looks much deeper, wetter and more black after correcting. Really noticeable in person. Hoping to finish the car this weekend. My wife's birthday is today so I might need to spend some time with her.
View attachment 11667
That lift is cheating haha! Very jealous of that over my quickjacks. But also your photos are why I swore off black paint for good. My car sat for 3 months so I had to run fcc w/ a microfiber pad over every panel to mow down all the surface love marks. Fortunately I didn't have any chips or poor rotary polish marks, just a handful of paint nibs. I will say I have never had to use that aggressive of a pad and compound on a new car before. There's still some areas that I need to touch up that unfortunately was too tired to notice before applying ceramic

That lift is cheating haha! Very jealous of that over my quickjacks. But also your photos are why I swore off black paint for good. My car sat for 3 months so I had to run fcc w/ a microfiber pad over every panel to mow down all the surface love marks. Fortunately I didn't have any chips or poor rotary polish marks, just a handful of paint nibs. I will say I have never had to use that aggressive of a pad and compound on a new car before. There's still some areas that I need to touch up that unfortunately was too tired to notice before applying ceramic

HAHA, it has it's pros and cons for detailing. I've had it 10 years now. Worth every penny. I actually just picked up a 4 post for my attached garage. That would work better for detailing (with wheels on) but not as much room in that garage. I also got a bridge jack for the 4 post.
tempImaged14Dvn.png

I love the wave blue and infrared but black always looks good, especially since I had to drop all CF. I'm getting a full PPF wrap to help reduce my stress levels. My wife's Black raven Escalade had horrible defects and swirls, RIDS etc. Used pretty much the same combo.

You can't tell me Lansing doesn't have some dude who looks like Super Mario kicking doors and grilles into alignment with his foot.

Don't forget hoods. Same dude, same technique.

I know GM has a pretty bad reputation but I was genuinely surprised what they shipped to me. The car drives GREAT. But the quality control is really sad.

Thank you.

I'm ordering some touch up paint. My wife just got a different model Black Raven Caddy so I'm going to need some touchup eventually. I also found to paint scrapes on the drivers front wheel well edge so I need to touch those up and I'm not done with the paint correction so who knows what else I will find besides all the bubbles, drips, dirt nibs, etc. My 2003 2500HD has better paint quality. It's very frustrating.

Blackwing gets full PPF week of 29th.

Her vehicle gets full front, lowers and rear bumper the same week.
Don't make yourself batshit crazy. Touch it up as best you can and let the PPF take care of the rest. Only you ( and the internet) will know it's chipped😉.

Recently had my dark-emerald frost matte green 4v BW detailed and Llumar PPF done, full car including all carbon fiber (1 & 2), costing close to 6,000 here in the Tampa area

Don't make yourself batshit crazy. Touch it up as best you can and let the PPF take care of the rest. Only you ( and the internet) will know it's chipped😉.

Like @tallSteve said: It's not so simple.

My wife, who is a medical professional, says I am neurotic.

A little more progress over the weekend.

tempImage30SX65.png

tempImageBtQBXx.png
tempImageZcgRyd.png

tempImagenaC16m.png

Beauty shot just because I love the tech bronze wheels

tempImagewwhShO.png

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Delaware Cadillac

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels