Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

WHAT to do!? Need a few opinions....

Jojo44

V-Series Cadillac(s)?
4BW - 6sp
Ill try to keep the scenario short. I found a 4BW on the showroom floor very close to how I would have ordered it and fell in love. The dealer pointed out that it was one of the frist 250 4BW produced and a pretty unique and special car, thus, why they were at the price point they were. Yes, very much over MSRP. I did some digging into the first 250 cars and quickly realized this WAS unique. I bought it and I absolutley LOVE the car! HOWEVER, I know find out that it is NOT one of the frist 250 cars produced even thoguht it has a 46-222 vin. I have contacted the dealer who has DUG his heels in that it is and that i just don't know what I am talkign about. His quote "YOUR CAR IS 1 OF THE ORIGIONAL 250.....PERIOD!" It does not have the sill plates or the "Collector Series" badge. What course of action do I have? What would any of you do in an effort to right the situation? Is there a contact at Cadillac that can confirm or deny what my car is? Thoguths are much appreciated...

Do you have anything (email, text, etc.)? If so, then I think (not a lawyer) it's a condition of sale. Otherwise probably no legal recourse and you have to decide if telling your story and shaming the dealer in social media forums will be worth the effort and risk.

Sorry this happened to you. Hard to know if you had an incompetent deal vs a dishonest dealer...

Yikes. I would start by asking the dealer if they can tell you what your 46-222 signifies. Bet they can't.

It's too bad that you didn't find this forum sooner. I doubt that there is any legal recource unless the selling documentation lists it as a Collector Series which I doubt.

I hate to confirm this to you but you BW is not a "Collector Series" car I know this because my 4 BW is 41-223, and my 5BW is 86-043 with all the badging that goes with the first 250 cars... As far as what to do, I don't know, but I would probably sue for false advertising??

Yikes. I would start by asking the dealer if they can tell you what your 46-222 signifies. Bet they can't.
His origional reply was that my car is #46 of 222 because that is what his Caddilac rep told him. Sad but true. I have it in writing.
Do you have anything (email, text, etc.)? If so, then I think (not a lawyer) it's a condition of sale. Otherwise probably no legal recourse and you have to decide if telling your story and shaming the dealer in social media forums will be worth the effort and risk.

Sorry this happened to you. Hard to know if you had an incompetent deal vs a dishonest dealer...
Yes, This sale was only two weeks ago and I have gone back and forth with him 3 times, all in writing. He has been kind but his last e-mail took a turn when he stated "I really don't have the time or patience to write lenghty e-mails' . He very clearly states in FULL CAPS and BOLD FONT that my car is 1/250...PERIOD.

I am not looking to shame him as I beleive his intentions were sincere, I just think that he was out over his skis and possibly had bad information from ....his Cadillac Rep, of all people. I feel like I am at a stalemate with him and am looking for a different course of action. I'd like to avoid legal action as i pride myself on NOT being litigious. Is anyone aware of a Cadillac contact that I could reach out to?

I would eat this guys lunch!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You should kick it up the ladder, as I would send a letter to Steve Carlisle and inform him of this, and then I would bury/shame the dealer/sales guy all over social media! But that's just me because I like to go scorched earth!

Attachments

• 278566785_684896486177602_7833281931437246477_n.jpg
    278566785_684896486177602_7833281931437246477_n.jpg
    185.7 KB · Views: 104
  • 242113920_4413586502059363_7483864799851202338_n.jpg
    242113920_4413586502059363_7483864799851202338_n.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 119
His origional reply was that my car is #46 of 222 because that is what his Caddilac rep told him. Sad but true. I have it in writing.

Yes, This sale was only two weeks ago and I have gone back and forth with him 3 times, all in writing. He has been kind but his last e-mail took a turn when he stated "I really don't have the time or patience to write lenghty e-mails' . He very clearly states in FULL CAPS and BOLD FONT that my car is 1/250...PERIOD.

I am not looking to shame him as I beleive his intentions were sincere, I just think that he was out over his skis and possibly had bad information from ....his Cadillac Rep, of all people. I feel like I am at a stalemate with him and am looking for a different course of action. I'd like to avoid legal action as i pride myself on NOT being litigious. Is anyone aware of a Cadillac contact that I could reach out to?
IMO, you will have very little luck reaching out to corporate. You’ll receive the standard response that the dealers operate independently.

I’d fight ignorance with facts. Find documentation showing what it actually means to have a Collector Series and then show that your car does not have those things.

Often times, a strongly worded letter in legalese will force their hand.

You never mentioned (or I missed it).
What do you want the dealer to do? What are you asking them for? Refund? Buy back?
EXCELLENT Question! I just love this 'Little Firecracker' (as i call it) and have no interest in giving it back. I needed a 4dr ripper to be able to pick up my 5 and 7yo from school from time-to-time and this is exactly what I was after. I did use the "well, it's a pretty unique car" thoguht to justify what I was paying over MSRP. So I'd be fine just getting back what I paid over MSRP and both move on. However!, He hasn't taken ANY ownership of the issue and has only DUG in that it is in fact a 1/250. He said that he has sent everything to his Cadillac Factory Rep and that she is looking into it.....Im hoping for a decent reolution but am not holding my breath.
IMO, you will have very little luck reaching out to corporate. You’ll receive the standard response that the dealers operate independently.

I’d fight ignorance with facts. Find documentation showing what it actually means to have a Collector Series and then show that your car does not have those things.

Often times, a strongly worded letter in legalese will force their hand.
This was my origional tack. Ive sent him links directly from Cadillac's website. He says that he has no idea what "Collector Series" means and that he never mentions that it was a "Collector Series" car. To his credit, he has not been able to link a 1/250 car and 'Collector Series' and he didn't actually ever say "Collector Series". He's only claimed emphatically, that "YOUR CAR IS 1 OF THE ORIGIONAL 250...PERIOD" in writing. And, of course that is was one of the first 250 throughout the sales process. The sales guy brough it up many times and another sales guy mentioned it in passing.
To date, his response has only been to fight the facts with a more sophisticated level of ignorance!

Last edited:
EXCELLENT Question! I just love this 'Little Firecracker' (as i call it) and have no interest in giving it back. I needed a 4dr ripper to be able to pick up my 5 and 7yo from school from time-to-time and this is exactly what I was after. I did use the "well, it's a pretty unique car" thoguht to justify what I was paying over MSRP. So I'd be fine just getting back what I paid over MSRP and both move on. However!, He hasn't taken ANY ownership of the issue and has only DUG in that it is in fact a 1/250. He said that he has sent everything to his Cadillac Factory Rep and that she is looking into it.....Im hoping for a decent reolution but am not holding my breath.

This was my origional tack. Ive sent him links directly from Cadillac's website. He says that he has no idea what "Collector Series" means and that he never mentions that it was a "Collector Series" car. To his credit, he has not been able to link a 1/250 car and 'Collector Series' and he didn't actually ever say "Collector Series". He's only claimed emphatically, that "YOUR CAR IS 1 OF THE ORIGIONAL 250...PERIOD" in writing. And, of course that is was one of the first 250 throughout the sales process. The sales guy brough it up many times and another sales guy mentioned it in passing.
To date, his response has only been to fight the facts with a more sophisticated level of ignorance!

How much did you pay over MSRP? Do share.

Technically it is not one of the first 250, since Cadillac assembles both automatics and manual transmission cars simultaneously. Both version share the last 4 digits of the VIN and they are differentiated by either 41 for automatic or 46 manually transmissions (see Tall Steve's previous post from earlier) in the 12th and 13th position of the VIN. It was one of the first 250 automatic transmission versions built but most likely not one of the first overall 250 built which, I believe are considered part of Collectors Series.

So I have one of the 250, and its pretty cool to be able to say that. But wanna know what's even cooler? Actually having a Blackwing.

Don't sweat the little plaque on the door and just drive the hell out of it. The difference in the monetary value of the car is negligible.

So I have one of the 250, and its pretty cool to be able to say that. But wanna know what's even cooler? Actually having a Blackwing.

Don't sweat the little plaque on the door and just drive the hell out of it. The difference in the monetary value of the car is negligible.
^ this. I don't see how the first 250 will really be worth any more than any other car. The sill and plaque are cool and all, but unless you're just putting the thing in storage and never using it the value difference will probably be minimal.

I was kind of thinking the same thing at first. I am also of the mind: Buyer Beware. And maybe @Jojo44 should have known what to look for on a 1 of 250 car (e.g. sill plate signature and collector series plate). But then I think about how most of us have probably been on the bad end of some purchase where we are promised one thing but get something less. And we've been pretty pissed about it. So imagine just how amplified that feeling would be with $65k+ purchase.

It's not the lack of plaque but rather the principle of the matter. The fact that the salesman is adamant about 1/250 and he refuses to even just stand down for moment to do a small bit of research on this is reason enough. Plus there is the premise of paying a premium for something that was supposedly "special". I am leaning towards @Tall Steve on this one and thinking scorched earth.

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Delaware Cadillac

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners

Back