Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

Dealer installed front license plate

That's what I am going to ask for. A new bumper is probably $400 (cost to them) and the labor and paint would be similar to repair the bumper. Interesting I called the dealer's body shop and they do fill in the holes about $1000... so don't know what to believe now.

If I don't sign the paperwork at some point can they sell the car without my agreement?

Oh man, I just cried inside a bit for you! Really SUCKS!!

That's what I am going to ask for. A new bumper is probably $400 (cost to them) and the labor and paint would be similar to repair the bumper. Interesting I called the dealer's body shop and they do fill in the holes about $1000... so don't know what to believe now.

If I don't sign the paperwork at some point can they sell the car without my agreement?
I think there may be a time limit on how long you can hold out before they sell it on you. I thought I read somewhere in the paperwork in the beginning when we reserved them. I'll have to dig out my paperwork to double check.

I think there may be a time limit on how long you can hold out before they sell it on you. I thought I read somewhere in the paperwork in the beginning when we reserved them. I'll have to dig out my paperwork to double check.
Pretty sure it’s 2 weeks. Not positive when that time starts though.

although it sucks I'd take it and deal with it, and the measly 500.00 or you will loose the car shortly I believe. It's a lot more special than a reorder.

Get corporate involved. $1,000 as I had said previously is more like it.

Get corporate involved. $1,000 as I had said previously is more like it.
I think the problem with corporate is, they will take the corporate line of being required by law to put it on, blah, blah, blah. Might be worth it though.

Such a shame. Too many people with their heads up their a** to make a call. I bought a Vette in NJ years ago. They didn't put the front tag bracket on any Vette without asking (NJ requires two tags for the record).

I think the problem with corporate is, they will take the corporate line of being required by law to put it on, blah, blah, blah. Might be worth it though.

Such a shame. Too many people with their heads up their a** to make a call. I bought a Vette in NJ years ago. They didn't put the front tag bracket on any Vette without asking (NJ requires two tags for the record).
Just to protect yourself from them potentially selling it out from under you while you negotiate an equitable settlement.

Just to protect yourself from them potentially selling it out from under you while you negotiate an equitable settlement.
Yeah, I have opened a claim with Cadillac as well. The funny thing is Cadillac says it's all been resolved since they offer to fix it and free service. I informed the rep that the offer to fix it is no longer on the table since the body shop won't make the repair supposedly.

Man really sorry to hear and see this. I would just aporoach it with dealer as a special car and this being a big deal, asking if they can give you a new bumper and wuite that cost, work a deal out. Hope they understand you did nothing wrong and you explained dont drill holes and they missed it. Hope the claim process works as well. You can replace a bumper, you can not get another 250

just an update looks like I will be able to get a $1k credit from the dealer and take the car as is. not the ideal situation but looking forward to having the car.
Just out of curiosity, when you say credit, do you mean towards the price of the car or, with the dealership on parts and service?

Did you quote a new fascia painted? I would ask them for a quote.

so I might be the only one that got $1100 off the MSRP of the car for the front holes. This is what we agreed to. The dealer won't fix the holes and wants no responsibility for any repairs. I will have to find my own body shop and either fill in the holes or leave the front plate on. If I leave the front plate on there are some nice V logo blank plates I could install. Either way, I am just happy to pick up my car tomorrow.

Did you quote a new fascia painted? I would ask them for a quote.
They claim they did nothing wrong since a front license plate is required by California law.. I disagree and it's up to the driver of the car to have the front license plate. The dealership claims they install the front plate on every car for liability reasons so they did nothing wrong. I am just glad we worked something out and I get the car, after all, it's really about the drive and manual.. which the bumper won't affect.

Dude... that is pure bologna. You could have given them a stick up bubblegum, secured the license plate, driven 10 feet off the lot and taken the plate off. They would have been clear of liability and then it would all have been on you after that. Or you could have just signed a waiver as you suspected.

Your dealer jumped the gun and made a mistake, end of story. The "we had to do it" is just to cover their own incompetence and try to avoid any future liability. Sad that they didn't take full responsibility.

California Code, Vehicle Code - VEH § 11713.17​

(a) Following the retail sale or lease of a motor vehicle for which the department issues two license plates, a dealer may not deliver the motor vehicle unless either of the following occurs:
(1) The motor vehicle is equipped with a bracket or other means of securing a front license plate.​
(2) The dealer obtains a signed written acknowledgment from the person taking delivery of the motor vehicle acknowledging both of the following:​
(A) The person expressly refused installation of a bracket or other means of securing the front license plate.​
(B) The person understands that California law requires a license plate to be displayed from and securely fastened to the front of the motor vehicle and that the hardware necessary to securely fasten the front plate is available from the dealer.​
(b) A manufacturer or distributor may not sell or distribute in this state a new motor vehicle for which the department issues two license plates, unless that motor vehicle is equipped or provided with a bracket or other means of securing the license plates.
I’d love for them to site 1 case where a dealership was actually held liable.

yeah, I agree guys, but my options were limited. I am sure they wouldn't care if I didn't purchase the car. They would mark it up and someone would have bought it. anyways I picked it up and of course, they made me sign a front license plate waiver.. haha.. The drive home was amazing the car is so well refined.. feels more torque than my old ats-v. The car felt so great I forgot about the front license plate holes. The only issue I had was the front drivers' glass had a scratch, but it seems like it's in the glass, you can't actually feel it on the outside or inside. The dealership said they would replace the glass.

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Delaware Cadillac

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners

Back