Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

PSA Regarding CT5 Blackwing SD Cards for PDR and Surround Vision Recorder

AbsurdBuffalo

Seasoned Member
V-Series Cadillac(s)?
2022 CT5-V Blackwing
Wanted to share some learnings from last night regarding the SD card formatting for the PDR and Surround Vision Recorder.

First, the PDR (SD card slot next to steering wheel)

Card format must be Fat32. If your card is formatted in exFAT (it will be if you buy a brand new one and don't stick it in a computer), the PDR system can format the card properly. However, if your SD card is formatted in NTFS, PDR cannot format in Fat32. You will need to re-format the card back into exFAT via windows then let the PDR do it's thing.

A note if your SD card is over 32gb:
Windows cannot easily format SD cards in Fat32 over 32gb. Linux can. So can your PDR as long as you format the card BACK into exFAT (this is the easiest option)

Second, Surround Vision Recorder:

This is the SD card slot in the trunk (if equipped). This must also be Fat32 formatted. If you have the PDR, simply format your SD card via the PDR as mentioned above, remove the card from PDR, and install in the trunk. The SVR system is apparently incapable of formatting cards. If you don't have PDR, but do have SVR (i'm not sure if this is possible, but if it is), and want to use a card bigger than 32gb, you will need to format in Fat32 using some form of Linux or alternate methods on Windows.

While on the subject of SVR, which is part of the parking package, this is basically a 360view dashcam. It will automatically start recording when accessory power, or the car is turned on if an SD card is present. Videos can be viewed directly from the 'video recorder' app on the main infotainment screen. From this screen you can save videos of interest so they don't get overwritten. Videos are saved in 5 min blocks. No audio. Video includes front, rear, left, and right cameras. It's actually quite nifty.

The PDR can also be set to record automatically when the car is turned on. Both the PDR and SVR can record at the same time.

The TL:DR is,

SD cards must be Fat32 format. Windows sucks at doing this if over 32gb. The SVR is a 360deg dashcam.

Also, this is for a 5BW. 4BW folks, the PDR section would apply. The SVR section doesn't as it looks like it's not an option on the 4.

Great info. Thanks very much for this.

@AbsurdBuffalo , is your car auto or manual? I'm curious if it has "automatic parking assist." The configurator says that "automatic parking assist with braking" isn't available with the manual, but I'm wondering if it's just the braking that doesn't work, or the whole thing. I have had this feature on a manual car before.

@AbsurdBuffalo , is your car auto or manual? I'm curious if it has "automatic parking assist." The configurator says that "automatic parking assist with braking" isn't available with the manual, but I'm wondering if it's just the braking that doesn't work, or the whole thing. I have had this feature on a manual car before.
Mine is a manual. I've not seen the park assist thing yet, but I've also not gotten through all the buttons and features yet. I'll look next time I'm near the car

This is amazing.. I had no idea the car even came with a dashcam recorder!

So, without PDR but with Surround Vision I'll still be able to have an SD card in and it will act as a dash cam?
No, I think it is the other way around. PDR works as Dash cam.

With the CT4 that may be the case. With the CT5 when the Parking Package is selected, HD Surround Vision and Surround Vision Recorder is included but the website isn't 100% clear on what those features exactly due if you don't get PDR...

With the CT4 that may be the case. With the CT5 when the Parking Package is selected, HD Surround Vision and Surround Vision Recorder is included but the website isn't 100% clear on what those features exactly due if you don't get PDR...

PDR and SVR are two different systems part of two different packages and use two different apps on the infotainment screen. If you have the surround vision but no PDR, your surround vision should still be able to record.

The two packages (parking and PDR) can be optioned separately on the configurator. If one required the other, it would say something about it when trying to option it on the website.

@quikag confirmed for me he has this feature. Like me he skipped the PDR.

PDR can indeed be used as a dash cam. SVR is also a dash cam.

PDR = only front camera with telemetry overlaid. Can be set up to start recording when car is turned on (dash cam mode)

SVR = Front, rear, left, right cameras. No telemetry overlaid. No audio. Can also be set up to start recording when car is turned on

PDR = only front camera with telemetry overlaid. Can be set up to start recording when car is turned on (dash cam mode)

SVR = Front, rear, left, right cameras. No telemetry overlaid. No audio. Can also be set up to start recording when car is turned on

Thanks, guys. Much appreciated!

Thanks, guys. Much appreciated!

It would be neat to see SRV footage of a track event , it sounds like it would record cars beside you and behind you , then you can see some great action , on and off track .

I was waiting until I could test this in my car but the PDR can indeed use a card that is exFAT formatted so no issues with big cards. This was one of the improvements with the PDR2 that is in the V and C8. The surround vision recorder does appear to only work with FAT32 formatted cards.

This is the tool I use on Windows to format cars over 32 GB as FAT32.

What is the largest size card that will work?

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Delaware Cadillac

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners

Back