Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

CT4-V Windshield Replacement Woes (Don't be like Me)

Cadillac CT4-V model

Ybeezy

V-Series Cadillac(s)?
2022 Cadillac CT4-V BW
tl:dr Safelite Sucks, Cadillac Sucks, Windshields Suck, Basketball hoops suck

So this is a quasi vent/rant about the complete pain in the a its been replacing my windshield.

Long story short, I parked too close to my basketball court and a random gust of wind dropped the hoop right onto my driver side. Normally I wouldn't care if the window was just cracked but this actually shattered a small area into the car (right where the HUD is) so there are small amounts of glass all over the dash. I vacuumed as much of it as I could but we all know it is nearly impossible to get all glass off.

No big deal, I thought. Sent a request to safelite that same day (16 sept) with a repair date for the 23rd of sept.

Safelite calls me ON THE 21st saying that this needs to be ordered through the dealership and quotes me 1300 plus 5-10 business days for delivery. Why they didn't verify this the day I submitted or the following Monday is beyond me but that's besides the point.

2 weeks (Oct 5) go by and Safelite is crickets...no contact or update what so ever. Ended up contacting support who said to wait another week and to contact them again if I hear nothing..

It's now Oct 12th and With no update still from my Local Safelite, I call the number Support gave me and was assured they would look into the matter and contact the local safelite.

I FINALLY get a call from my local facility and guess what? THEY NEVER VERIFIED THAT CADILLAC ORDERED THE PART. I would have literally waited forever if I didn't follow up.

It is FOR SURE ORDERED now, they assure me and I'll be contacted in 5 to 10 business days to reschedule. Fingers Crossed.

Oct. 25 I get the long awaited email that they are ready to schedule me and luckily there is an opening the very next morning. I even shell out the extra 15 bucks to be the First stop of the day.

Oct. 26 I'm up early like it's Christmas day. I get contacted by Safelite tech that he is on the way and all is right in the world. I pull my car out of the garage, its the first time its been outside since sept 16th.

Safelite tech arrives, marvels at the ride, then pulls out the windshield.

"Ohhh Noo" he whispers...He looks at the car, then his windshield, then the car then his windshield...

IT'S THE WRONG WINDSHIELD

The one they brought did not have the cutout for the Rain sensing wipers or Data recorder. FML. Tech calls his supervisor and packs up then heads out, letting me know I should receive a call shortly.

About two hours later that call comes in and the news isn't good. Cadillac is now claiming that specific windshield is backordered and they aren't sure if they will be able to ordered one any time soon. Safelites advice to me? "Try again maybe in a month or something."

So that's it. It's been close to 4 weeks since that call and I'm going to attempt again to get this replaced but I have absolutely zero faith in either Safelite or Cadillac. If you've made it this far, I truly appreciate you and for the love of jeebus if you must park in front of your hoop, Make sure its Fully filled with water and brought down to its lowest level!

Wow, this story really sucks balls. Hope you're on your way real soon.

Crazy, but on Saturday I took my ride to my brother-in-law as I just got my car back from PPF/Tint/Cermaic and I parked (it was night-time) in front of his hoop. He comes running out of the house yelling NO NO not there and explained the hoop just came down the night before from a bad rain/windstorm and barely missed his truck (his hoop was full of water and had a 50lb sandbag on top. Granted it was 50/60 mph winds Friday night.

Moral to my story, look at my surroundings before parking my whip, especially at night!

Good luck brother.

So I assume they ordered a base CT4 windshield? Damn, man...that sucks. Good thing you have a garage! 🤬

So I assume they ordered a base CT4 windshield? Damn, man...that sucks. Good thing you have a garage! 🤬
Haha..I was only outside because it gets hot as balls here in Bakersfield and my wife is the one who gets the kids everyday (2017 highlander no remote start ) so our deal was that I park outside during the day and move back in during the night since I work from home and rarely leave the house.

She came home that Friday and was honking her horn like crazy and I went out to see a nice fresh hoop in my windshield.

Wow, this story really sucks balls. Hope you're on your way real soon.

Crazy, but on Saturday I took my ride to my brother-in-law as I just got my car back from PPF/Tint/Cermaic and I parked (it was night-time) in front of his hoop. He comes running out of the house yelling NO NO not there and explained the hoop just came down the night before from a bad rain/windstorm and barely missed his truck (his hoop was full of water and had a 50lb sandbag on top. Granted it was 50/60 mph winds Friday night.

Moral to my story, look at my surroundings before parking my whip, especially at night!

Good luck brother.
I should have known better quite honestly. I had been playing bball every day with my youngest son and he was wanting the hoop higher the day before. I didn't even think about how much water was in there either but if I would have dropped the hoop back to its lowest than it wouldn't have fell. I think about that everyday now.

Two days before with a fresh wash....then...

Look how they massacred my boy

Attachments

• Fresh_wash.jpg
    Fresh_wash.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 127
  • 20221005_094534.jpg
    20221005_094534.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 130
Two days before with a fresh wash....then...

Look how they massacred my boy
I'm going to go out on a limb and say that windshield protection film wouldn't have prevented the damage to the winshield in this situation.

Try to look at the bright side, at least it didn't hit the roof or side pillar and put a nasty dent it in. The windshield can be replaced with almost no evidence it was ever touched.
+1 to this.

For sure the repair woes are frustrating as hell, but I think you dodged a bullet considering it could have it somewhere else...

Try to look at the bright side, at least it didn't hit the roof or side pillar and put a nasty dent it in. The windshield can be replaced with almost no evidence it was ever touched.
Dents can be pulled and repainted/repaired. Glass not so much. If there is no replacement in sight, I think I'd take the dent that needs repair. At least it would still be driveable.

I had a similar experience with Safelite on my 2019 V...their customer service with me was terrible...all I wanted to do was talk to someone live, nope, not going to happen. I finally just ordered the windshield from Cadillac and had them install it. Doubtful that I would use Safelite in the future.

Safelite used to be good, now they’re trash. USAA is tied to them and they replace my Palisade windshield with an aftermarket one. Didn’t realize that it had scratches on it until I had the glass tinted.

Safelite used to be good, now they’re trash. USAA is tied to them and they replace my Palisade windshield with an aftermarket one. Didn’t realize that it had scratches on it until I had the glass tinted.
Agreed... 20+ years ago they replaced my grand prix gtp windshield (special coated for HUD) and did a great job rather inexpensively!

Man what an absolutely HORRIBLE story! We all feel your pain!

I do agree that the bright side is that it could have left a nasty dent, but it's still hard to think about that when your answer to the windshield is "try back in a month" like WTF!

I would be just as pissed as you, man. I sincerely hope you can get that windshield in soon. Maybe try ordering directly from Cadillac or look for another (aftermarket) vendor?

I joined to chipped winshield club today!

They're putting in an overpass and toll lanes near my house. So there are concrete and gravel bombs everywhere.

Getting on a curving on ramp a truck got me, the car ahead of me and a Range Rover that was behind me when he appeared to either drop a wheel or drift onto the shoulder ahead of us.

I've never heard one hit so hard. Never had that one penatrate that deeply into the glass either. I will say my car faired the best of the three. Beamer took a dent to the roof along with a long crack up and down the winshield. And the range rover took a hit dead center . Crazy how much damage it took.

Replacement glass is on backorder , at least 6weeks. Estimated Replacement cost with labor from the dealer is $1256.81.

I'm livid but I take that over a dent. Welcome to Houston

Attachments

• 16805373904146235784859937867848.jpg
    16805373904146235784859937867848.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 85
  • 16805375373337322509570844915305.jpg
    16805375373337322509570844915305.jpg
    914.9 KB · Views: 88
  • 16805375920925674597213530440482.jpg
    16805375920925674597213530440482.jpg
    776.2 KB · Views: 91
6 weeks?? I'd call Safelite to see if they have a quicker option (just make sure you tell them which glass related options you have like rain sensor, camera, etc.)

You mentioned a replacement cost but I hope that's not out of pocket? Whenever something HITS YOU it's covered under comprehensive and in my experience windshields are usually free or $50 thru insurance.

Mine took 4 months to come in, just got it replaced last week. I wanted the OEM. Could have gotten high quality aftermarket quicker.

Yeah, I've been waiting on Safelite (who ordered OEM via a dealer) since Feb 6th. No ETA on the backordered part.
Not sure why I even worry about it, driving out here in AZ you get pelted by rocks constantly and the new one will just get damaged immediately anyways, but...

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Delaware Cadillac

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners

Back