Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

CT4-V Windshield Replacement Woes (Don't be like Me)

Cadillac CT4-V model
Yeah, I've been waiting on Safelite (who ordered OEM via a dealer) since Feb 6th. No ETA on the backordered part.
Not sure why I even worry about it, driving out here in AZ you get pelted by rocks constantly and the new one will just get damaged immediately anyways, but...

Mine was backordered with no ETA and my glass installer actually had an aftermarket one on the way when the dealership called him and said the OEM glass had just shown up. Just GM things, I guess.... 😅

Safelite was insanely expensive when I called them a few years ago to replace a windshield on another vehicle. Local shop got me a brand named one (OEM supplier) for literally 1/4 of the Safelite quote.

Windshields are a wear item - no need for an OEM one.

Oof, going to be dealing with a windshield replacement soon myself and this thread does not inspire confidence. I may just wait until they finish the 1.5yr road project near my house before I pull the trigger on a replacement since the crack isnt really in my eyeline and a new piece of glass is likely to get blasted again sooner than later.

Went to the eye doctor yesterday and decided to take my Expedition since there is a lot of repaving near their office. Thank goodness I did. A stone kicked up, I think from a bus, bounced up the hood, off the windshield, and then bounced along the roof about three or four times! Surprisingly, I don't think it damaged anything. I need to go and take a good look.

Any leads on where to get a a replacement windshield. OEM or aftermarket but need PDR and HUD compatible.

My car is finally in getting re-ppf'ed after my car was hit while parked at the end of last year (had to wait for insurance, then parts, then for everything to cure and then for me to find time to be able to part with my car for a few days... damn I love this thing! ).

... my point is that while it's there I'm also going to have them ppf the windshield after following this thread.

Also found out (through this forum & my detailer/ppf guy) there are inexpensive ($15-30) screen protectors (like you'd put on your phone) on amazon that you can get for your touch screen... and if it sucks you just take it off. I'll let you all know how I like it.

My car is finally in getting re-ppf'ed after my car was hit while parked at the end of last year (had to wait for insurance, then parts, then for everything to cure and then for me to find time to be able to part with my car for a few days... damn I love this thing! ).

... my point is that while it's there I'm also going to have them ppf the windshield after following this thread.

Also found out (through this forum & my detailer/ppf guy) there are inexpensive ($15-30) screen protectors (like you'd put on your phone) on amazon that you can get for your touch screen... and if it sucks you just take it off. I'll let you all know how I like it.
Was told by the PPF shop that windshield specific protection film is very expensive and only good for a couple years. Basically not something they recommend. Interested in what you find out.

Was told by the PPF shop that windshield specific protection film is very expensive and only good for a couple years. Basically not something they recommend. Interested in what you find out.
I'll keep you posted. Ty
They mentioned it but didn't push it when I got my full car wrapped last year (which has a 12 yr warranty!)... but since I needed to be back in and I've been reading about sourcing issues I figured to check this out.

Any leads on where to get a a replacement windshield. OEM or aftermarket but need PDR and HUD compatible.
Any chance you got this resolved? I joined the cracked windshield club today driving home in Houston on I-45. I now need to find a replacement and will likely be paying out of pocket. Would like the cheapest, functioning option given the car is likely being traded-in in the near future.

Any chance you got this resolved? I joined the cracked windshield club today driving home in Houston on I-45. I now need to find a replacement and will likely be paying out of pocket. Would like the cheapest, functioning option given the car is likely being traded-in in the near future.
Still on backorder with no ETA. Called a few local places and being told it's OEM only.

I'm firmly in the camp that you don't want to put that stuff on your windshield. I really don't think it would have prevented that damage.

Safelite used to be good, now they’re trash. USAA is tied to them and they replace my Palisade windshield with an aftermarket one. Didn’t realize that it had scratches on it until I had the glass tinted.

I'm also with USAA and although Safelite handles the glass claims, you don't have to use them. See below.

You mentioned a replacement cost but I hope that's not out of pocket? Whenever something HITS YOU it's covered under comprehensive and in my experience windshields are usually free or $50 thru insurance.

Please keep in mind that every state has different rules and regulations when it comes to insurance, coverages and deductibles. Heck, it can even vary between companies in the same state.

So...

I work for an insurance company. When I get a rock chip or crack, I know that in my state (NC) I can choose the shop that does the work, so even though Safelite schedules the repair and handles the payments for USAA, I request a different shop. One of my coworkers handles glass claims, and so I call her and ask who to use. The first thing she always says is "don't use Safelite".

The tech who did my last windshield learned to do it working for, and was trained by, Safelite. He said that there are a lot of newbies there who get the training and then quit as soon as they can. It's a real numbers oriented company and they want the techs to do as many jobs as they can in as short a time as possible. That's understandable, but not when it comes to our babies!

Also, regardless of the shop, you can always request that they send their most experience tech. It may not work, but for me, it always has, and with the exception of a mirror falling off once, I've not had any issues with replacement windshields.

You never know what you're going to find on I-45!!! Or downtown Houton where homeless people have been known to throw rocks at random cars in the morning. Thankfully, I have avoided that so far, but it happened to a coworker...

I got a few quotes. Dealership quoted $875 plus install and calibration. Safe lite was $1050 out the door. A local shop quotes $1485 out the door for FYG Chinese brand. I have HUD and PDR btw. Not sure I trust Safelite but also don’t want to get ripped off. Any input on cost from those who’ve replaced a windshield would be appreciated.

Last edited:
How critical is OEM glass for a non-HUD vehicle? Will I still be able to see the flashing collision Leds with the Walmart glass? My insurance is full replacement glass thru Safelite and in AZ I expect 100% chance of a re-break within a year

How critical is OEM glass for a non-HUD vehicle? Will I still be able to see the flashing collision Leds with the Walmart glass? My insurance is full replacement glass thru Safelite and in AZ I expect 100% chance of a re-break within a year
Has anyone gotten their windshield replaced recently? Just got a good sized rock chip/crack in mine. Curious if the dealer may be able to get an OEM windshield quicker than a glass replacement company - assuming all options are on back order. In Massachusetts there is zero deductible on glass. Insurance company will probably sway me towards which ever is cheaper.

I just got mine replaced last week after letting the original crack propagate for the last several months. Ran the claim thru USAA, Safelite did the work, I dont have a HUD so the glass is fine for me. Whatever they installed was aftermarket but says Made in USA and only took a week to get. The billed amount to insurance was $580.

Last edited:
Has anyone gotten their windshield replaced recently? Just got a good sized rock chip/crack in mine. Curious if the dealer may be able to get an OEM windshield quicker than a glass replacement company - assuming all options are on back order. In Massachusetts there is zero deductible on glass. Insurance company will probably sway me towards which ever is cheaper.
I got a chip on my 4BW windshield and the guys at Sewell Cadillac had their glass guy repair it and you could not even tell after they were done.....

Maybe look into a repair as its very cheap....

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Delaware Cadillac

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners

Back