Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

Wait is over, but had some issues

astacun

Hi,

After waiting for almost 2 years, I finally picked up my 6MT CT5V BW this weekend. Car is amazing and like everyone says, it is definitely worth the wait.

Unfortunately, after only 40 miles I already had an issue. Yesterday, I drove it and when I started the car to drive back home, I noticed a rough idle and idle rpm lowered to about 600 RPM and the engine shut off. I started the car again and the engine fired back up, but I still noticed a somewhat rough idle, but the car is new so I don’t have a good reference point. Later driving back home on the freeway after about 6 miles, it gave me the “Reduced acceleration drive with care” message and threw a cel. When I got home, I hooked it up to my OBD2 scanner and it read a P0101 “Mass or volume air flow A circuit range/performance”. I checked the engine compartment but couldn’t see any loose hoses or loose connectors. I also checked the air box and it was clean. The car doesn’t have any other symptoms.

I read online that this can be a symptom of a bad battery, so I hooked it up to my battery tender and charged up the battery. I then cleared the code and went for a drive. No issues. I have driven probably about 6 miles and the code or message haven’t popped back up. I still notice a somewhat rough idle and relatively low idle rpm after the initial cold start period. Is the rough idle normal for these engines? I also own a 991.2 GT3 and that car idles rough, but the BW seems to be rougher dropping rpm’s really low that it feels as if the engine is about to shut off. I wonder if it has a dirty MAF sensor or a vacuum leak. I called the service department and they said to bring it in if the code reappears.

Has anyone here had a similar issue? Is the low rpm idle and somewhat rough idle normal? I am hoping this was just related to low charge on the battery, but I am worried it could be something more serious. Any ideas/suggestions?

Thanks in advance,
Ed
IMG_7794.jpeg
IMG_7797.jpeg

UPDATE:

I found the problem. I hate to admit it, but clearly I didn’t look carefully enough at the air intake. I guess my wife has been right all along, apparently I don’t look carefully enough. According to her, I “man look” for stuff. Anyways, I looked more carefully and noticed the big rubber hose that goes from the air box to the throttle body was not properly mated to the air box and had popped out. After some elbow grease, I was able to install it properly and now the low rpm rough idle has resolved. I will keep an eye on it in case it pops off again. Hopefully, this was a fluke and won’t be a recurring problem. I am glad I found the issue and it was nothing serious.

Thanks to all that replied.

Last edited:
We've seen a few cars with battery issues. Happened more last year after many cars had sat in storage lots for many months over winter. When was your car built?

Beautiful 5BW, but I'm biased. Take some pix and post them in the Infrared section, even though it's Radiant Red.

Congrats!

We've seen a few cars with battery issues. Happened more last year after many cars had sat in storage lots for many months over winter. When was your car built?

The car was built on 5/25 and delivered to the dealership on 7/12. So it sat for almost 2 months.

Beautiful 5BW, but I'm biased. Take some pix and post them in the Infrared section, even though it's Radiant Red.

Congrats!

Thank you! I love the color. I am having the roof wrapped in gloss black and black badges installed, as well. I will post some pictures later.

Hi,

After waiting for almost 2 years, I finally picked up my 6MT CT5V BW this weekend. Car is amazing and like everyone says, it is definitely worth the wait.

Unfortunately, after only 40 miles I already had an issue. Yesterday, I drove it and when I started the car to drive back home, I noticed a rough idle and idle rpm lowered to about 600 RPM and the engine shut off. I started the car again and the engine fired back up, but I still noticed a somewhat rough idle, but the car is new so I don’t have a good reference point. Later driving back home on the freeway after about 6 miles, it gave me the “Reduced acceleration drive with care” message and threw a cel. When I got home, I hooked it up to my OBD2 scanner and it read a P0101 “Mass or volume air flow A circuit range/performance”. I checked the engine compartment but couldn’t see any loose hoses or loose connectors. I also checked the air box and it was clean. The car doesn’t have any other symptoms.

I read online that this can be a symptom of a bad battery, so I hooked it up to my battery tender and charged up the battery. I then cleared the code and went for a drive. No issues. I have driven probably about 6 miles and the code or message haven’t popped back up. I still notice a somewhat rough idle and relatively low idle rpm after the initial cold start period. Is the rough idle normal for these engines? I also own a 991.2 GT3 and that car idles rough, but the BW seems to be rougher dropping rpm’s really low that it feels as if the engine is about to shut off. I wonder if it has a dirty MAF sensor or a vacuum leak. I called the service department and they said to bring it in if the code reappears.

Has anyone here had a similar issue? Is the low rpm idle and somewhat rough idle normal? I am hoping this was just related to low charge on the battery, but I am worried it could be something more serious. Any ideas/suggestions?

Thanks in advance,
EdView attachment 20392View attachment 20391
Damn these pictures are making me even more impatient for my radiant red one to arrive. Looks great.

The idle isn't sewing machine smooth, so probably fine after getting the battery to full charge.

If it's still idling low/rough, even without throwing a code, I would take it in for the dealership to diagnose.

Mine sat almost 6 months and the battery has been completely fine. More importantly, it never idles "rough", and certainly never approaches stalling.

I'm sure it can be diagnosed and corrected. You bought a stunning car, I offer my congrats and welcome to the club!!

UPDATE:

I found the problem. I hate to admit it, but clearly I didn’t look carefully enough at the air intake. I guess my wife has been right all along, apparently I don’t look carefully enough. According to her, I “man look” for stuff. Anyways, I looked more carefully and noticed the big rubber hose that goes from the air box to the throttle body was not properly mated to the air box and had popped out. I have attached a picture. After some elbow grease, I was able to install it properly and now the low rpm rough idle has resolved. I will keep an eye on it in case it pops off again. Hopefully, this was a fluke and won’t be a recurring problem. I am glad I found the issue and it was nothing serious.

Thanks to all that replied.
IMG_7853.jpeg

This? ^

Congrats on the delivery !!

Love the color :)

UPDATE:

I found the problem. I hate to admit it, but clearly I didn’t look carefully enough at the air intake. I guess my wife has been right all along, apparently I don’t look carefully enough. According to her, I “man look” for stuff. Anyways, I looked more carefully and noticed the big rubber hose that goes from the air box to the throttle body was not properly mated to the air box and had popped out. I have attached a picture. After some elbow grease, I was able to install it properly and now the low rpm rough idle has resolved. I will keep an eye on it in case it pops off again. Hopefully, this was a fluke and won’t be a recurring problem. I am glad I found the issue and it was nothing serious.

Thanks to all that replied. View attachment 20395
Nice that you found something easy to fix yourself. Much better than having to put it the dealer's hands, I'd say.

"Man Look"!! :ROFLMAO: That's funny!

Give your engine bay a really good/slow look over...mine had several things that were loose, not hooked up or open.

Glad the issue is resolved. Congrats and have fun!

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Delaware Cadillac

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners

Back