Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

CT5-V Anyone know highest decibels of sound?

CT5-V Model

Badillac

Seasoned Member
V-Series Cadillac(s)?
2022 BW5 6MT
Hey, hoping someone can help me out here. I know it can range based on your engine sound settings but anyone know what the loudest is (for stock)? Anyone ever have theirs tested or been flagged at low dB tracks?

I've only found two things online. C&D article from 2021 says it will hit 90dB with valves wide open & a quick Google search shows this but seems low (maybe they mean sound inside the cabin?):
Noise @ idle49 dB
Noise @ 70 mph73 dB

Thanks!

Hey, hoping someone can help me out here. I know it can range based on your engine sound settings but anyone know what the loudest is (for stock)? Anyone ever have theirs tested or been flagged at low dB tracks?

I've only found two things online. C&D article from 2021 says it will hit 90dB with valves wide open & a quick Google search shows this but seems low (maybe they mean sound inside the cabin?):
Noise @ idle49 dB
Noise @ 70 mph73 dB

Thanks!
I believe C&D and other mags measure all sound inside the car, including full throttle.

I was curious about this. I was planning to do a 90 dB track day at Laguna Seca and am really hoping I can run full sound and not get black flagged

I was curious about this. I was planning to do a 90 dB track day at Laguna Seca and am really hoping I can run full sound and not get black flagged
Awesome!! Me too! I'll be there on the 31st. You too? Most of the track days I've done are 103dB but if I remember correctly, I've done a 93 dB one w/out issue. We'll see what happens- fingers crossed for both of us.

I'll be there on the 17th of February. I believe that my car (CT4-V BW) is quieter than your 5 BW.

I survived a day at Lime Rock in my 4BW just fine. It's technically 88db, but there was some pretty loud stuff there and I don't think it was an unmuffled day.

It's unclear to me how/where they're measuring and I know Laguna is famously strict.

And Laguna puts theirs mid way up a hill straight so that you're under full load. I guess I'll know soon enough

As I recall, there's a decibel meter app for your phone that records the highest db reading. You could set the phone down on the ground, drive a little ways, turn around, and come back past the phone at full chat... See what db it records.

FYI, I used that app at a Blackhawks hockey game. During full fan cheering, it was 110db! Wish I would have had that app the last time I saw Slayer...

Ok, so my 5BW clocked in at 93.2dB at Laguna Seca. @yalfred, you should be good in your 4BW.

I know ChampCar has a "standard" db limit they state in their rulebook. And it's about 96dba @ 50 ft, iirc.

But it is usually dictated by the track. Some tracks like Daytona really don't care mainly because it's right next to an airport and you can't get accurate readings there anyway. But other tracks are pretty sensitive to the spl issue. One track I've worked has no less than three permanent meters around the track and are very quick to black flag you for sound violations.

Chris E.

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Delaware Cadillac

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners