Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

Strange dealership service tactic- scheduling oil changes in advance?

Throat Yogurt

Seasoned Member
V-Series Cadillac(s)?
2022 CT4-V Blackwing N0460548
On Friday I got a call from my local dealership (Holman in NJ) to ask if I wanted to schedule my next oil change. I explained that I was just there for an oil change 3 weeks ago. "Yes, we know, but we wanted to get you scheduled for your next service, because spaces are filling up fast". I explained to her that even if I wanted to schedule my next oil change I couldn't because the car sets its own maintenance schedule based on how and how much I drive. My current oil life is at 75%, and I have no way of knowing when I will need my next change. She, however, was undeterred: "I understand that, but appointment dates are filling up fast and we want to make sure you can get in for an appointment." I politely thanked her and let her know I'd be scheduling an appointment when the car told me it was needed.

Just to be sure, I went onto their website and, sure enough, pretty much any day or time I want is available for a service appointment, starting tomorrow. I guess I respect the hustle, but come on...don't waste my time with this.

Unrelated Blackwing photo for you to enjoy:
013c14a70830d35477f465e889b77c2419b4fb3701.jpg

On Friday I got a call from my local dealership (Holman in NJ) to ask if I wanted to schedule my next oil change. I explained that I was just there for an oil change 3 weeks ago. "Yes, we know, but we wanted to get you scheduled for your next service, because spaces are filling up fast". I explained to her that even if I wanted to schedule my next oil change I couldn't because the car sets its own maintenance schedule based on how and how much I drive. My current oil life is at 75%, and I have no way of knowing when I will need my next change. She, however, was undeterred: "I understand that, but appointment dates are filling up fast and we want to make sure you can get in for an appointment." I politely thanked her and let her know I'd be scheduling an appointment when the car told me it was needed.

Just to be sure, I went onto their website and, sure enough, pretty much any day or time I want is available for a service appointment, starting tomorrow. I guess I respect the hustle, but come on...don't waste my time with this.

Unrelated Blackwing photo for you to enjoy:

I really wonder what becomes of the service side of the business at all these dealers as they shift the whole market to EVs. I own a Tesla Model 3 and the only thing I have done in the past 4 years is a set of tires, cabin AC filter and washer fluid refills. I do my own oil changes on the 4BW so as long as nothing actually breaks for warranty repair I never plan on going there. The dealers get so much extra business when customers bring their cars in for simple oil changes. They always come back with a report saying your battery failed the load test, your tires need replacing, you need to flush all the fluids, blah, blah.

I buy tires at Costco when they are buy 3 get one free with free installation and road hazard. Oil changes at home with oil and filter from Walmart. I order air filters online and swap them myself. Maybe change the rear diff fluid although it doesn't actually call for it, but that is easy at home as well.

All the other fluids last a long time so that really only leaves stuff that breaks, electronics, sensors, AC systems, etc. Once out of warranty the cost at a dealer will kill you so you might as well try to find a local mechanic anyway.

My wife goes to the Toyota dealer for oil changes, which is fine. It's her car. Now, they charge EXTRA to rotate the tires! Every time she goes, it needs this or that on top of the oil. She asks me, I ask her what the book says. Her Oldsmobile dealer was even worse years ago. It's like that Seinfeld bit, "hey, you need a new johnson rod". And the prices they charge!

Last edited:
My wife goes to the Toyota dealer for oil changes, which is fine. It's her car. Now, they charge EXTRA to rotate the tires! Every time she goes, it needs this or that on top of the oil. She asks me, I ask her what the book says. Her Oldsmobile dealer was even worse years ago. It's like that Seinfeld bit, "hey, you need a new john rod". And the prices they charge!
It's true. I tell my mother-in-law all the time. Just say "no." They take advantage and say she needs all this stuff done on her car and it only has 25,000 miles on it.

Last edited:
Boss lady had her Denali in for regular check up not too long ago. They took it upon themselves to replace the plugs, air filter, wipers, and couple other small things. Never asked them to do more than an oil/filter. When they said the bill was $8XX I laughed. When they explained what they changed I told them I never asked for it and that they should interview their tech that did the work. Literally everything they changed out was done by myself days or weeks before depending on the part. Pretty sure the wipers had yet to even be used. Walked away with keys and said I refuse to pay for service not requested. Left with car and an unpaid bill. Owner called me within an hour and made up for it all in the end.

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Delaware Cadillac

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners

Back