Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

Question, am I the only one who.....???

Dumb question, but why would someone want a harsh ride during normal street driving? I had an S4 for a long time with a modified suspension and I felt like my teeth were going to fall out on rough roads. Loved the car on smooth roads but the harsh ride day-to-day got real old. I really like the Tour suspension setting on the Blackwing, not boring and doesn’t wear me out.

Dumb question, but why would someone want a harsh ride during normal street driving? I had an S4 for a long time with a modified suspension and I felt like my teeth were going to fall out on rough roads. Loved the car on smooth roads but the harsh ride day-to-day got real old. I really like the Tour suspension setting on the Blackwing, not boring and doesn’t wear me out.
I prefer the sport setting unless I know the road is bad. It’s not harsh under most circumstances. Tour is a bit floaty at times.

I use the softest suspension setting all the time - MyMode and V-Mode. I've taken it through 100 miles of twisty canyons with up to 0.75 Gs indicated on the dash, all while in softest suspension mode. It felt planted the whole time.

But I've also experienced unexpected squirm and general uneasiness in very basic turns in the city, so it has been a mixed bag for me.

I bought the Caddy to avoid being beaten to death like I am in the ZL1 1LE. I can just drive it (unadjustable suspension - always in Race mode) if I want punishment. :)

The 2023 CT5 Blackwing has almost 5,000 miles on it. The car is an outstanding vehicle that I look forward to driving for quite some time. The Adaptive Active Ride Control adjustment (if that is the right term) is minimal. The ride/suspension seems very similar when set to "Touring" and "Track". Blackwing is a sports car but one would expect a very noticeable difference when set to touring mode. One may describe the difference as very stiff suspension vs. extremely stiff. As a driver, it is no problem but the passengers would prefer not to feel every little bump even a seam in the pavement.

The mechanic at the local Cadillac dealership that is the way the car is built. ACDelco (the manufacturer of the shocks) referred me to the local dealership when asked. Why have a suspension setting when the difference is barely perceivable?

Is this an intentional by design?

Do other Blackwing owners notice a greater difference with the suspension settings and is this a defect in this car?

Is there a software or mechanical adjustment available to the mechanic that would change the current to the electromagnets beyond those available to the driver?

I would go to great lengths to have a short conversation with the designing engineer.

Any and all insight is appreciated. If there is another thread that addresses the problem above, please indicate so.

The 2023 CT5 Blackwing has almost 5,000 miles on it. The car is an outstanding vehicle that I look forward to driving for quite some time. The Adaptive Active Ride Control adjustment (if that is the right term) is minimal. The ride/suspension seems very similar when set to "Touring" and "Track". Blackwing is a sports car but one would expect a very noticeable difference when set to touring mode. One may describe the difference as very stiff suspension vs. extremely stiff. As a driver, it is no problem but the passengers would prefer not to feel every little bump even a seam in the pavement.

The mechanic at the local Cadillac dealership that is the way the car is built. ACDelco (the manufacturer of the shocks) referred me to the local dealership when asked. Why have a suspension setting when the difference is barely perceivable?

Is this an intentional by design?

Do other Blackwing owners notice a greater difference with the suspension settings and is this a defect in this car?

Is there a software or mechanical adjustment available to the mechanic that would change the current to the electromagnets beyond those available to the driver?

I would go to great lengths to have a short conversation with the designing engineer.

Any and all insight is appreciated. If there is another thread that addresses the problem above, please indicate so.
Most likely that's just how it is. There's only so much magic you can engineer into the suspension with 19 inch wheels. The general consensus (mine included) is that tour mode is amazingly comfortable given the car can also, with the press of a button, rip your face off around a race track. I drive mine every day on awful NJ roads and it's actually softer than my last (less capable) car, an Alfa Giulia.

By chance, do you still have yellow shipping blocks installed in the front suspension? Dealers frequently have missed them.

Most likely that's just how it is. There's only so much magic you can engineer into the suspension with 19 inch wheels. The general consensus (mine included) is that tour mode is amazingly comfortable given the car can also, with the press of a button, rip your face off around a race track. I drive mine every day on awful NJ roads and it's actually softer than my last (less capable) car, an Alfa Giulia.

By chance, do you still have yellow shipping blocks installed in the front suspension? Dealers frequently have missed them.
Thank you. The shipping blocks suggestion is great. There is something yellow at the very top of the spring on the front wheels. Without taking off the wheel, it is difficult to see exactly what is going on but you may be correct. That is certainly something the dealer shall check. I assume that the car also ships with those same blocks on the rear wheels. It is very difficult to see springs on the rear. Much appreciated.

I easily notice the difference between settings.
Thank you. The shipping blocks suggestion is great. There is something yellow at the very top of the spring on the front wheels. Without taking off the wheel, it is difficult to see exactly what is going on but you may be correct. That is certainly something the dealer shall check. I assume that the car also ships with those same blocks on the rear wheels. It is very difficult to see springs on the rear. Much appreciated.
Just the front, I think. 5k miles and the shipping blocks are in there? Shame on the dealer, if so.

I easily notice the difference between settings.

Just the front, I think. 5k miles and the shipping blocks are in there? Shame on the dealer, if so.
Yeah @jrhammer it's front-only (and leave them in the trunk if you ever need to get the car on a flatbed tow truck). If you see the yellow, go back and crack some skulls at the dealer and then enjoy the magride magic like the rest of us.

Yeah @jrhammer it's front-only (and leave them in the trunk if you ever need to get the car on a flatbed tow truck). If you see the yellow, go back and crack some skulls at the dealer and then enjoy the magride magic like the rest of us.
This is the best picture I can get at the moment. Will try to do better.

Attachments

• IMG_3285.jpg
    IMG_3285.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 59
I also don’t think they are needed for flatbed towing. They’re used when transporting on a vehicle carrier which is not particularly flat. Besides the car would need to be jacked up to put them back on.

If you have pictures of the real blocks, please send.

I've got My Mode as follows for fun street driving:
Steering: Tour (first notch) --> IMO the more weight the less feel
Brake Feel: Sport (middle notch) --> not too 'grabby' but sharp response on backroads
Suspension: Sport (middle notch) --> seems like better body control on twisty roads
Engine Sound: Sport (third notch) --> I'm in CA

Like OP in the town I live the roads are kinda broken up so I switch to Tour mode until I hit smooth roads

I've got My Mode as follows for fun street driving:
Steering: Tour (first notch) --> IMO the more weight the less feel
Brake Feel: Sport (middle notch) --> not too 'grabby' but sharp response on backroads
Suspension: Sport (middle notch) --> seems like better body control on twisty roads
Engine Sound: Sport (third notch) --> I'm in CA

Like OP in the town I live the roads are kinda broken up so I switch to Tour mode until I hit smooth roads

Yep my exact set up except for sound. I let her bark because frankly this is one of the best sounding v6's I've driven.

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Delaware Cadillac

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners

Back