Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

Question, am I the only one who.....???

ClassaxV

Seasoned Member
V-Series Cadillac(s)?
2023 CT4 V Blackwing Raven Black, SkyCool 6spd
Drives in MyMode with the suspension fairly stiff but shifts back and forth from it to Tour mode just before crossing train tracks or rough patches of road....

I’ve been driving in Sport more and more often. I have My Mode in soft suspension setting and use it on crappy stretches of road. The car just feels so much better to me in Sport.

I pull out of the garage in MyMode (full stealth) and immediately go to track and stay in track till the next morning. Train tracks, pot holes, speed bumps, it handles them all incredibly well

I pull out of the garage in MyMode (full stealth) and immediately go to track and stay in track till the next morning. Train tracks, pot holes, speed bumps, it handles them all incredibly well
REALLY?!!? Wow, to me you can really tell the difference between Tour, Sport and Track. The thing about stiff suspension is it not only transfers road feel to the seat of your pants, on rough pavement it also transfers the shocks and vibrations to the chassis which over time eventually turns into vibrations and rattles. Fine in a sports car but for one that doubles as a daily luxury commuter, I figure better to not subject the chassis to the abuse when not needed. Tour mode is pillow soft where as my normal semi-firm (Sport) suspension seems good for most streets but TRACK mode is simply too stiff for going over expansion joints for long stretches IMHO.

I use the Tour suspension setting in town with My mode. The roads are not great and I don’t drive like I’m on a track. If I want to do something aggressive I hit V mode twice (set to Track Dry). Those are the only two settings I ever use on the street.

Drives in MyMode with the suspension fairly stiff but shifts back and forth from it to Tour mode just before crossing train tracks or rough patches of road....
This is exactly what I do.

I'm still just trying to by one, but I can ABSOLUTELY see myself doing just that.

At SM they strong suggest to NOT use track setting on street. Rim damage is a highly likely outcome. Of course your roads may vary,.......My corner of the country, sport mode is just fine.

Talk about an engaging vehicle to drive, not only does the manual offer the opportunity to row my own gears in the transmission, but I suddenly realize I've been using the mode switch to actively calibrate the suspension in a similar fashion.... There is a construction zone on a highway here where the asphalt is horrible and every day there is a different set of potholes, Im in Mymode(sport) suspension right up to it, flick to Tour mode (soft) float over the rough stuff then back to Mymode for the more agile feel I prefer for the rest of the trip. Get to my favorite technical section flip to Vmode on the glass smooth pavement and then back to Mymode for the rest of my commute,

The thing is I have and have had other vehicles with modes but the transition from one to the other either was very noticeable or WAY TOO SLOW. Where as on the BW the various modes are very distinct from each other, not just from engine tuning but suspension as well. Not only that but the transition from one to the others is practically instant. You can feel the difference in the steering, brakes, engine sound, and suspension immediately, well before the display resets.

It's a fun time to be alive!

REALLY?!!? Wow, to me you can really tell the difference between Tour, Sport and Track. The thing about stiff suspension is it not only transfers road feel to the seat of your pants, on rough pavement it also transfers the shocks and vibrations to the chassis which over time eventually turns into vibrations and rattles. Fine in a sports car but for one that doubles as a daily luxury commuter, I figure better to not subject the chassis to the abuse when not needed. Tour mode is pillow soft where as my normal semi-firm (Sport) suspension seems good for most streets but TRACK mode is simply too stiff for going over expansion joints for long stretches IMHO.
I HATED track mode on my c8 - you felt EVERYTHING and the slightest crack or bump was a bone jarring experience. The BW Track Mode feels like sport in the C8 and for the most part the roads haven’t been bad. I road tripped it from TN to OH in touring though just for the unknowns. My daily commute is also only 5 miles, but I may start using V Mode with exhaust open and suspension soft

At SM they strong suggest to NOT use track setting on street. Rim damage is a highly likely outcome. Of course your roads may vary,.......My corner of the country, sport mode is just fine.
Someone is really saying this at Spring Mountain? I wish Mythbusters was still around to do an episode on this, because a damper setting is really not going to make any difference at all when you hit a rim damaging pothole at 50mph.

Hahahaha I do the same

Isn't the entire point of magride v.4.0 is that it reacts to road conditions? It's not a "dumb" setting that just makes it stiff all the time, it reads the road conditions and adjusts accordingly. Spring Mountain is as much a urban legend mill as it is a learning center.

Isn't the entire point of magride v.4.0 is that it reacts to road conditions? It's not a "dumb" setting that just makes it stiff all the time, it reads the road conditions and adjusts accordingly. Spring Mountain is as much a urban legend mill as it is a learning center.
Yea but it’s not gonna soften up to tour mode when you have it set to track mode stiffness.

You have to think about what the suspension is designed to do and trying to achieve. In a general sense, suspension is designed to keep the the tires in contact with road. A secondary component is to increase passenger comfort by reducing the rate and frequency of road conditions transferred to the chassis (dampening). Some performance cars may also use suspension to control body roll. On a really high performance car there is also the need to communicate grip levels and alter chassis dynamics ie brake dive, anit squat, over & understeer, turnin feel and rate ect.... to/for the driver. That usually means going stiffer.

Each mode has certain thresholds with regard to how much dampening, body attitude control ect are different. Track mode let's me feel every thing on the pavement and exactly how much grip the tires have at any given time, and corners super flat with almost no brake dive or squat. The car is on rails! But its also becomes a princess and the pea, on the street you feel every expansion joint, every ripple, everything all the time, and hitting a pothole in this mode even minor ones, well I don't know your roads but there are some here that will make you physically pull over and check the car for damage afterward. It's not that suspension can't react fast enough its that the dampening is set to communicate the feel of the road so the threshold for the dampening is going to transfer a ton of that shock to the chassis because in effect that's what we are asking it to do. Tour is the opposite it seems like its number one thing is to isolate the driver from even the most vicious impacts, but it comes at the price of increased body roll, brake dive, squat, and vagueness for the grip levels, which is great if you're on rough tarmac because the dampening rate is so high.

So yeah the suspension reads and reacts to BOTH the road and driver inputs far faster, each mode is optimized for certain thresholds to achieve certain objectives, so it is not a dumb single-setting system but it has the same principle as eating soup with a fork, it can be done, but it's not the right tool for the job and the threshold for success will be far different is one uses a spoon.

You have to think about what the suspension is designed to do and trying to achieve. In a general sense, suspension is designed to keep the the tires in contact with road. A secondary component is to increase passenger comfort by reducing the rate and frequency of road conditions transferred to the chassis (dampening). Some performance cars may also use suspension to control body roll. On a really high performance car there is also the need to communicate grip levels and alter chassis dynamics ie brake dive, anit squat, over & understeer, turnin feel and rate ect.... to/for the driver. That usually means going stiffer.

Each mode has certain thresholds with regard to how much dampening, body attitude control ect are different. Track mode let's me feel every thing on the pavement and exactly how much grip the tires have at any given time, and corners super flat with almost no brake dive or squat. The car is on rails! But its also becomes a princess and the pea, on the street you feel every expansion joint, every ripple, everything all the time, and hitting a pothole in this mode even minor ones, well I don't know your roads but there are some here that will make you physically pull over and check the car for damage afterward. It's not that suspension can't react fast enough its that the dampening is set to communicate the feel of the road so the threshold for the dampening is going to transfer a ton of that shock to the chassis because in effect that's what we are asking it to do. Tour is the opposite it seems like its number one thing is to isolate the driver from even the most vicious impacts, but it comes at the price of increased body roll, brake dive, squat, and vagueness for the grip levels, which is great if you're on rough tarmac because the dampening rate is so high.

So yeah the suspension reads and reacts to BOTH the road and driver inputs far faster, each mode is optimized for certain thresholds to achieve certain objectives, so it is not a dumb single-setting system but it has the same principle as eating soup with a fork, it can be done, but it's not the right tool for the job and the threshold for success will be far different is one uses a spoon.
That was a great explanation, well done sir...

Well said

I only use My Mode or V mode.

My mode is basically everything in tour but exhaust in track. V mode is track for powertrain and exhaust but sport suspension and tour steering with PTM set to whatever I'm feeling.

I don't like sport and track modes on their own because the artificial steering weight annoys the hell out of me. On a track sport steering is fine with me but on the backroads it annoys me, to heavy and it's definitely to heavy for normal street driving.

So I only use the two custom modes.

Someone is really saying this at Spring Mountain? I wish Mythbusters was still around to do an episode on this, because a damper setting is really not going to make any difference at all when you hit a rim damaging pothole at 50mph.
I'm guessing they carried that advice from the Corvette school where it's probably reasonable advice. The GS and Z06 have a known reputation of breaking inner barrels of their wheels. I personally wouldn't be too worried about the 4BW wheels nor the 5BW since the wheels aren't nearly as wide.

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Delaware Cadillac

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners

Back