Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

CT5-V PTM modes for daily driving?

CT5-V Model

Ergoc5

Seasoned Member
Do you guys turn on PTM for daily driving? I have used dry when weather was good and roads were dry but mostly I have not set PTM (off by default). I know PTM wet is more for a wet track setting (at least that's what I have heard) and I haven't tried the PTM snow mode yet. In general what is the best PTM setting for:

Drag racing on good surface/drag strip
Spirited driving on dry roads
Driving on wet/damp surfaces

I generally don't use PTM.
Thanks

MatthewAMEL put up some excellent charts about how Drive Modes, PTM, traction control, stability control, and other stuff all interact in this post.

Doesn't answer your question, but I thought it would be good reference info for the discussion.

MatthewAMEL put up some excellent charts about how Drive Modes, PTM, traction control, stability control, and other stuff all interact in this post.

Doesn't answer your question, but I thought it would be good reference info for the discussion.
Thanks! I was looking online as well but could not find much ....I think the Savage Geese video had some good info as well.

So no PTM in my mode for the street?
Nope. There is far too much entropy in driving on the road for me to push the car that hard. Do I really need to be able to floor the throttle coming out of a corner and let the car figure out the amount of power for maximum acceleration? It’s plenty with just the right foot and keeping all the other safety aids in full effect.

So I pecked the above out on my phone and then thought about it. I might try PTM-Sport if I want to do something like hoon it a bit pulling out in to traffic. I also think it’s interesting that some folks are using PTM-Wet in the rain. I’ve just never felt the need.

PTM on the street is pretty pointless, if your pushing the car hard enough to need PTM your at risk of the coppers. For simple enjoyment sport would be completely adequate.

I think this is one of those cases of having so many options and overthinking it.

Unless you want the placebo affect of throwing it in PTM but sport will be all you'd need with these cars, or a nicely setup V mode.

PTM on the street is pretty pointless, if your pushing the car hard enough to need PTM your at risk of the coppers. For simple enjoyment sport would be completely adequate.

I think this is one of those cases of having so many options and overthinking it.

Unless you want the placebo affect of throwing it in PTM but sport will be all you'd need with these cars, or a nicely setup V mode.
How many miles do you have on your BW? ;)

I have used ptm dry occasionally when the roads are dry and weather is good. it's amazing how this car hooks though compared to the V2 I had...the back end sways a bit with heavier throttle but I haven't spun the rears yet unexpectedly....it was much easier to spin the rears in the V2. I am always judicious with throttle application. in lower gears though.

Yes. But different cars behave differently. Past performance is no guarantee of future results - as they say :)

Incorrect in this case. PTM has been available since the C6 ZR1 and its purpose is for use on the race track to help smooth torque delivery to the drive wheels. Nothing about its application has changed since its introduction. It has increased in performance (on the track) given the advances in GM's chassis controls, which include the improvements in MSRC. However, As Sean and Exia stated, if you're actually activating PTM on the road, then you're asking for trouble.

I activate it every time I drive when it is dry and warm out. The car is much more fun in PTM mode.

And how do you activate it?

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Delaware Cadillac

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners