Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

CT5-V PTM modes for daily driving?

CT5-V Model
Damn, posted the wrong one... One more time..
Thanks for posting this....I am still learning wow...looking forward to Spring Mountain in April to learn the car. From this it looks like PTM is only available in Track mode or via customized settings through V mode. I also found it interesting that PTM modes also control available engine power? So if PTM is not engaged is full engine power enabled? It looks like PTM is only meant for the track technically. I know there are other things you can do with double tap and press and hold of the TC button.

Thanks for posting this....I am still learning wow...looking forward to Spring Mountain in April to learn the car. From this it looks like PTM is only available in Track mode or via customized settings through V mode. I also found it interesting that PTM modes also control available engine power? So if PTM is not engaged is full engine power enabled? It looks like PTM is only meant for the track technically. I know there are other things you can do with double tap and press and hold of the TC button.
You can engage PTM thru the thumb control on the steering wheel also, and if I'm correct you can be in sport or track.... I don't play around with it much so I forget.. When I'm about to give someone the sauce I just push the V button and jam!

I have mine set up when I double tap the V button....
I know how the PTM modes are selected. I'm trying to understand what he thinks I meant by "activated" in my earlier post. I don't think he understands what I meant.

Just for clarity: I want to know how he (or anyone else) knows that PTM is actually doing its thing while driving on the road? My gut tells me that most of ya'all don't know, at all. But that's just an educated guess. ;-)

I know how the PTM modes are selected. I'm trying to understand what he thinks I meant by "activated" in my earlier post. I don't think he understands what I meant.

Just for clarity: I want to know how he (or anyone else) knows that PTM is actually doing its thing while driving on the road? My gut tells me that most of ya'all don't know, at all. But that's just an educated guess. ;-)
Oh,, my bad..

Can you explain what you mean because I'm a dumbass and don't understand. Are you saying we don't know shit about setting our cars up, or are you saying we cant tell when PTM is activated? I can only tell on track when its really working..... I learned this from SM.

Me on Summit Point over eight years ago, in my 2010 ZR1. Turn the volume way up. Listen to the engine stutter a bit as I start my turn-in to turn 10. BRRRRT. That misfire is the PTM doing its thing.

If you're getting that on the road, then you're asking for trouble.

Me on Summit Point over eight years ago, in my 2010 ZR1. Turn the volume way up. Listen to the engine stutter a bit as I start my turn-in to turn 10. BRRRRT. That misfire is the PTM doing its thing.

I see what you are saying and agree 100%, and why I don't play around with it very much on the streets...

Will try it in the spring 😀...I guess it allows a little bit more sliding the backend
You are in the northeast like me. So for sure wait till spring. Then give it a try. Do be careful. As you mention the car will rotate quite a bit. Enjoy!

hehe.. double tap.. lol
We trained 2 in the chest 1 in the head.

I do have to look into all the ptm info and familiarize myself before the spring.

gun GIF by AKBAN Detant

Maybe you aren't taking your bw to the RIGHT roads cuz you're scared or something. #AskForYourMoneyBack #ThemsFightinWords

Ron Burgundy Battle GIF

Last edited:
Yes you have full power as long as you have traction. PTM will dial back power to limit wheelspin under high/full throttle. If TC is on it will use the brakes to stop wheelspin.

I’ve been using MyMode with traction control off to achieve better wheel spin from a takeoff. Is this a good idea? One does need to be careful as the car can start slipping sideways.

Yes you have full power as long as you have traction. PTM will dial back power to limit wheelspin under high/full throttle. If TC is on it will use the brakes to stop wheelspin.
And it will cut fuel as well.

Based on the sounds it appears that PTM is pulling timing slightly to modulate power, as opposed to cutting fuel and letting the car fall on its face as it does with TC.

As I've said in other threads, on wet roads I have found PTM-wet to be very valuable. The car is much more stable and predictable, and actually lets you accelerate out of corners.

I agree with the above that in the dry, you need to be doing some hooning-ass shit on a public road for PTM to intervene in PTM-dry, sport, etc. That being said, I do use PTM-dry on back roads and on one specific area of my commute where the road is very bumpy coming out of a tight corner leading into a steep hill, and if TC is engaged the car gets very confused and TC tries to shut everything down. PTM allows the car to accelerate out of the corner and up the hill.

Figured out the modes after Spring Mountain and also saw the V button double tap thing that @Tall Steve mentioned before. Question - for those with manual transmission what does the powertrain setting (engine/shift) in V mode do? I can see it makes a difference in the auto cars with shift points but not sure what it does in a manual car. I had it in sport setting, shifted it to track...will try it out tomorrow.

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Delaware Cadillac

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners

Back