Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

Oil Pressure CT4-V BW 6MT

dr-sicel

V-Series Cadillac(s)?
2023 CT4-V Blackwing
After reading some posts about oil pressure at idle when car is at full temp, I thought I'd run this by folks here:

in my pic from yesterday, you can see I have <300 mi, driven it like a grandma going to church, and at full temp at idle it typically hovers around 19-20psi, but has gone as low as 17psi as seen in the pic.

Factory oil and is at full level.

All good? any concerns?

Attachments

• IMG_8223.jpg
    IMG_8223.jpg
    733.9 KB · Views: 103
What does your oil pressure reading look like under a light load at 40-45 mph? Just cruising you should be at around the 40-50psi range, but with a heavier load that number will be much higher (like 70-80psi plus).

From my understanding, these engines like a lot of oil pressure, but if you think it is below where it should be, I would 100% address it before the warning light comes up (see my post about low oil pressure LOLOLOL).

Overall, I wouldn't be too worried, unless your oil pressure is way low (and stays low) when on the throttle!

I wouldn’t worry about low pressure at idle at this time. Your motor needs more time to break-in. Follow break-in procedure in manual making sure to vary rpm’s. Don’t be afraid to give it some gas, just watch the tach and don't overshoot the recommended max. A new motor will break-in more successfully if it experiences higher pressures (oil, turbo boost, combustion chamber etc.) Also, don’t be afraid to downshift (use rev match if manual) engine braking is also helpful to the break-in process. I’m at about 12k miles on mine and see 20-21 psi fully warmed up at idle and an occasional 19 when the oil is in need of replacement. Enjoy and don’t drive like a grandma.

What does your oil pressure reading look like under a light load at 40-45 mph? Just cruising you should be at around the 40-50psi range, but with a heavier load that number will be much higher (like 70-80psi plus).

From my understanding, these engines like a lot of oil pressure, but if you think it is below where it should be, I would 100% address it before the warning light comes up (see my post about low oil pressure LOLOLOL).

Overall, I wouldn't be too worried, unless your oil pressure is way low (and stays low) when on the throttle!
Appreciate your comments - the oil pressure is higher at higher rpms as you said. For the last few hundred miles, seems to be pretty stable at idle, though lower than some have noted, but certainly comes up as soon as I'm on the throttle. Almost 800 miles now, haha

I wouldn’t worry about low pressure at idle at this time. Your motor needs more time to break-in. Follow break-in procedure in manual making sure to vary rpm’s. Don’t be afraid to give it some gas, just watch the tach and don't overshoot the recommended max. A new motor will break-in more successfully if it experiences higher pressures (oil, turbo boost, combustion chamber etc.) Also, don’t be afraid to downshift (use rev match if manual) engine braking is also helpful to the break-in process. I’m at about 12k miles on mine and see 20-21 psi fully warmed up at idle and an occasional 19 when the oil is in need of replacement. Enjoy and don’t drive like a grandma.
Might've been your comment that made me pay attention - good points about the break in - and I've definitely stayed w/in the parameters! But now can have some more fun (at almost 800 mi now). What a car :)

Something interesting to add here....When I went to Spring Mountain lasts July and my oil temps hovered around 300 degrees, the PSI would drop to single digits. I saw 9 PSI at one point FWIW. No issues with the car either day I was there.

My pressure stays between 25-30 lbs till about 55 and up.Called dealer and was told that is normal for 2.7.

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Delaware Cadillac

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners

Back