Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

Oil Changes

Both the 4BW and 5BW are pretty simple oil changes. No dry sump, just drain and fill.

5BW LT4 uses a PF64 filter and 10qts of 0W-40. Either the ESP Dexos2 or the new rebranded Supercar oil. 18 ft. lbs on the drain plug.

Screen Shot 2022-09-02 at 7.32.48 PM.png
Screen Shot 2022-09-02 at 7.36.03 PM.png

The 4BW LF4 gets away with some less expensive 5w-30 Dexos1, which comes in 5qt jugs for less than $25 at Walmart. It uses a PF63 filter and calls for 7qts.

Screen Shot 2022-09-02 at 7.33.18 PM.png
Screen Shot 2022-09-02 at 7.34.03 PM.png

If you want the filter cap wrench it is a 15 flute. You don't really need this but some folks like to use the proper tool.
Screen Shot 2022-09-02 at 7.44.04 PM.png

Here is the link to the GM Techlink reference for all the motors and filters/capacities.
Screen Shot 2022-09-02 at 7.50.11 PM.png

Last edited:
I do find it strange that the Techlink doc states 9qts for the LT4 on the 5BW and Dexos1, while the LT1/LT4 on the Camaro calls for more expensive 10qts and Dexos2. This may be why some dealers are putting in the standard 0w-40 Dexos1 during the dealer oil changes. Maybe a different oil pan for one less quart? Not sure...

Last edited:
You answered my question. I was wondering if there was a plastic panel underneath like on my Dodge Challenger. I will take a look and see if my 5BW warrants getting a "Fumoto Check Valve". I have it to replace the oil drain bolt on my Dodge since it doesn't hang down too low to get hit if I bottom out. It makes life very easy to change your oil and the service techs appreciate it also. No stripped or cross threaded bolts, no oil spills.

I do find it strange that the Techlink doc states 9qts for the LT4 on the 5BW and Dexos1, while the LT1/LT4 on the Camaro calls for more expensive 10qts and Dexos2. This may be why some dealers are putting in the standard 0w-40 Dexos1 during the dealer oil changes. Maybe a different oil pan for one less quart? Not sure...
Yeah, this is the first I've seen a Dexos1 for the LT4. It has to be a typo. There is no Dexos1 0W40 anyway...https://www.gmdexos.com/brands/dexos1/index.html

It's very simple, there is only one oil for the CT5VBW...Mobil 1 ESP (Dexos2) ESP 0W40...that's it. It'll be called Mobil 1 Supercar Dexos R soon, which will make it even more confusing (and expensive).

Yeah, this is the first I've seen a Dexos1 for the LT4. It has to be a typo. There is no Dexos1 0W40 anyway...https://www.gmdexos.com/brands/dexos1/index.html

It's very simple, there is only one oil for the CT5VBW...Mobil 1 ESP (Dexos2) ESP 0W40...that's it. It'll be called Mobil 1 Supercar Dexos R soon, which will make it even more confusing (and expensive).
I agree. Not a good document to make a typo. :)

Last edited:

IMG_3528[1].JPG

Don't think it's a typo. You need to get this stuff. A little hard to find, but part stores can get it. A little pricey at $13/qt.

Info from Mobil website:

Is Mobil 1 Supercar motor oil being used in any other GM engines?
Only the highest performance GM engines are being factory filled with Mobil 1 Supercar motor oil. This includes the most powerful Corvette and Camaro models that feature the LT1, LT2, or LT4 engines, and any future engines that require a dexos®-approved motor oil.

Is Mobil 1 Supercar 0W-40 motor the same as Mobil 1 0W-40 oil?
Mobil 1 Supercar 0W-40 motor oil is the result of almost 24 months of grueling tests and precise engineering. While the viscosity is identical, the formulation of Mobil 1 Supercar 0W-40 motor oil is specifically designed to guarantee it meets the strict dexos®-spec required for all seventh-generation and later Corvette models and it is not interchangeable with Mobil 1 0W-40.

Was not reading manual correctly. Caddy and Chevy call for Dexos 2 for LT4.

Last edited:
Although, there is definitely a difference in recommendations between Chevy and Caddy. Chey is looking for Dexos2 0W-40 on these engines and Caddy wants Dexos1. Supposed to be the same engine...

Wonder if there is any actual difference between Dexos 1 & 2?

There are tons of articles on it. At a high level, Dexos2 supports both diesel and gas engines, formulated to meet European emissions and fuel economy.

if you really want to geek out over the oil then head over to Bob the Oil Guy forum where you can get into long debates over oil. :)

Starting to see now. That logo on the Supercar oil is not Dexos 1, it's DexosR. Slowly getting there...

Last edited:
And finally, there is this (just need to keep reading). Never hurts to read it all:

Can't get the pic to show in the body of the message. If you open the file it shows the oil recommendations from the owner's manual. Dexos 2 for the LT4..

No typo..

View attachment Oil.jpg

Last edited:
Excuse my slowness. Definitely a typo on the Techlink thing, but the owners manuals seems correct...

Got some ESP locally at Autozone for $9.99 a quart. I don’t think they have completed the supercar branding change. Where I usually buy oil, JEGS and Summit Racing, they don’t even have it, which I find odd.

Got some ESP locally at Autozone for $9.99 a quart. I don’t think they have completed the supercar branding change. Where I usually buy oil, JEGS and Summit Racing, they don’t even have it, which I find odd.
It is still transitioning over but you can find it at Walmart online for less than $10 per qt.

Speedway sells it as well but more expensive than Walmart.

It is still transitioning over but you can find it at Walmart online for less than $10 per qt.

Speedway sells it as well but more expensive than Walmart.

I can't remember the last time I checked out of Autozone online without a 20% off discount code. They are always available, and free shipping. $7.99 is about the best I've found.

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Delaware Cadillac

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners

Back