Welcome to the Cadillac V-Net's new V-Series Forums!

Oh No!

Tuna

Seasoned Member
V-Series Cadillac(s)?
'11 V Wagon, ( '13 427 Vette & '14 ATS)
Over the weekend, I noticed that the intercooler coolant was a little low. So I added some. Only to have some of it leak out under the nose of the V Wagon.
I get down on my hands and knees and I see that the intercooler radiator is wet on the bottom.
So, the V Wagon is at my favorite dealer's service department.

I hope it's a simple fix!

Tuna

Seasoned Member
V-Series Cadillac(s)?
It is a simple fix but not cheap.
The heat exchanger (radiator) is leaking and must be replaced.

BTW, my dealer loaned me an XT5 while my V Wagon is in the shop. I've been wanting to test drive one just to see if the big SUV might be something I would want. The answer is NO!

The XT5 is huge. It towers over my other cars (Vette, ATS and CTS). It's wider than all of them - the outside mirrors just barely cleared the door frame into my garage. The seats are not very supportive and the thing leans when it is turned at any speed - does not inspire any confidence if I need to maneuver quickly.
I'll be very happy to get my V Wagon back.

Last edited:

Tuna

Seasoned Member
V-Series Cadillac(s)?
Oh Yeah!
All is good again. Not cheap but the V Wagon is worth it.

Hib Halverson

Technical Writer for Internet & Print Media
V-Series Cadillac(s)?
2016 ATS-V Sedan, 2016 ATS-V Coupe
It is a simple fix but not cheap.
The heat exchanger (radiator) is leaking and must be replaced.

BTW, my dealer loaned me an XT5 while my V Wagon is in the shop. I've been wanting to test drive one just to see if the big SUV might be something I would want. The answer is NO!

The XT5 is huge. It towers over my other cars (Vette, ATS and CTS). It's wider than all of them - the outside mirrors just barely cleared the door frame into my garage. The seats are not very supportive and the thing leans when it is turned at any speed - does not inspire any confidence if I need to maneuver quickly.
I'll be very happy to get my V Wagon back.

Our dealer loaned the Fairest Sandra the Red an XT5 while her ATS-V Sedan was getting its new engine. My impression of the XT5 was the same as yours...the thing is a monster.

Also on the V-Wag, since its an '11, ie: seven years old, if you never changed the charge air cooling fluid, I'll bet that's why the heat exchanger started leaking. Those systems are filled with a 50/50 mix of Dexcool and water which needs to be changed ever 4-5 years regardless of mileage because after that length of time, the corrosion inhibiters are probably no longer effective.

Tuna

Seasoned Member
V-Series Cadillac(s)?
if you never changed the charge air cooling fluid, I'll bet that's why the heat exchanger started leaking. Those systems are filled with a 50/50 mix of Dexcool and water which needs to be changed ever 4-5 years regardless of mileage because after that length of time, the corrosion inhibiters are probably no longer effective.

I had the coolant changed but didn't think about the intercooler back then. Oh well.