Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

CT4-V CT4BW JB4 Review on 91 Oct with Datalog

Cadillac CT4-V model

Joszer

Seasoned Member
V-Series Cadillac(s)?
CT4V Blackwing
Hello Guys,

Over the weekend I was finally able to get my Bluebelt Package from TapOut.
Their customer service and shipping speeds were top notch! I really appreciated the free keychains and sour patch kids. Thanks guys.

I personally installed the Giggs Throttle body, Brisk Spark Plugs, Green Air Filters, and JB4.
My car is a 6 speed manual with approx ~4500 miles. Since ownership its been mainly a weekend driver with two track days driven so far.

I did the install of the parts myself with hand tools in my garage. In this forum I have seen that some are reluctant to do spark plugs due to their difficult nature of replacing.
I didn't think that they were difficult to remove or access. I was able to access all the plugs with a standard wrench and 6" extension no problem.
There are some vacuum hoses in the way but they move out of the way easily. Most of the hoses pop off with the exception of two (1 on each side), I couldn't figure out how to actuate the clamp to remove them. I just flexed them out of the way for access.
The throttle body was also not difficult to get to, once the big black vacuum hose holder has been removed (6 bolts, 2 small hoses, and 4 vacuum hoses) you get access to the Charge intercooler which opens up once the 10 bolts are removed. The throttle body sits in the middle which is then removed with 4 more bolts and a plug. It's nice that every bolt measures 10mm.

All in all everything took me 90 minutes to complete the install from start to finish taking my time. Overall I'd say it's a 5-6/10 on the difficulty scale. The spark plug change shouldn't spook anyone away in my opinion.
JB4 was simple enough to install, 3 plugs, routing a cable from the interior, through the door jam, and into the hood and tuck away safely. Easy Peazy.

Now for impressions. I immediately made sure that I was on Map 1 and took the car out for a spin.
The car felt faster but it was difficult to tell. It was not a big enough jump from stock to really notice a difference personally.
I then switched the JB4 to Stock, recorded a log and then repeated the same log with the added boost.
Stock my car was making ~10-11 psi and with the JB4 I averaged 13-15
For reference this is on 91 Octane at 89' above sea level in California in ~75 degree weather.

After viewing the data logs, I believe that the Timestamps are in 1/10s intervals. I was able to measure a Stock 3rd gear pull from 2500-6500 at 8.3s and a Tuned time of 7.4.
This is roughly a 40-100mph time.
Pretty much a 1 Second improvement.

I did notice a bigger torque shove in the midrange and where there was a boost drop Stock midway through the RPM Range. The JB4 got rid of it.
I wouldn't say my car is THAT much faster, but it adds enough of a power bump to make the car feel like what it should have been stock.

I moved to the Blackwing after owning a Tuned RS3, Golf R, and ZL1, so my perceptions of speed post tuning were reflected off those vehicles. I was used to, especially with the german cars, a major power bump post tune.

With the JB4, I would say the power feels like an extra 10-15% and it feels OEM+, at least on 91 Octane. Maybe in the oncoming weeks I'll try dumping a few gallons of E85 and trial a E30 blend Tune.
I'd be curious to see results from a Full HP Tuners tune on 91 octane.

I'm curious to read everyone else's experiences and datalogs if you're willing to share.

Attached is a link to my data log, 2 pulls in 3rd gear from 2500-6500 RPM. First Pull Stock and the Second Pull with the 91 JB4 Map.

Datazap is a nice website which generates an interactive graph of the excel file.

1690416235194.png

Last edited:
Ordered a Green Filter from them and the sour patch kids they sent with were awesome - small detail but they’re my favorite candy so had a chuckle

Hello Guys,

Over the weekend I was finally able to get my Bluebelt Package from TapOut.
Their customer service and shipping speeds were top notch! I really appreciated the free keychains and sour patch kids. Thanks guys.

I personally installed the Giggs Throttle body, Brisk Spark Plugs, Green Air Filters, and JB4.
My car is a 6 speed manual with approx ~4500 miles. Since ownership its been mainly a weekend driver with two track days driven so far.

I did the install of the parts myself with hand tools in my garage. In this forum I have seen that some are reluctant to do spark plugs due to their difficult nature of replacing.
I didn't think that they were difficult to remove or access. I was able to access all the plugs with a standard wrench and 6" extension no problem.
There are some vacuum hoses in the way but they move out of the way easily. Most of the hoses pop off with the exception of two (1 on each side), I couldn't figure out how to actuate the clamp to remove them. I just flexed them out of the way for access.
The throttle body was also not difficult to get to, once the big black vacuum hose holder has been removed (6 bolts, 2 small hoses, and 4 vacuum hoses) you get access to the Charge intercooler which opens up once the 10 bolts are removed. The throttle body sits in the middle which is then removed with 4 more bolts and a plug. It's nice that every bolt measures 10mm.

All in all everything took me 90 minutes to complete the install from start to finish taking my time. Overall I'd say it's a 5-6/10 on the difficulty scale. The spark plug change shouldn't spook anyone away in my opinion.
JB4 was simple enough to install, 3 plugs, routing a cable from the interior, through the door jam, and into the hood and tuck away safely. Easy Peazy.

Now for impressions. I immediately made sure that I was on Map 1 and took the car out for a spin.
The car felt faster but it was difficult to tell. It was not a big enough jump from stock to really notice a difference personally.
I then switched the JB4 to Stock, recorded a log and then repeated the same log with the added boost.
Stock my car was making ~10-11 psi and with the JB4 I averaged 13-15
For reference this is on 91 Octane at 89' above sea level in California in ~75 degree weather.

After viewing the data logs, I believe that the Timestamps are in 1/10s intervals. I was able to measure a Stock 3rd gear pull from 2500-6500 at 8.3s and a Tuned time of 7.4.
This is roughly a 40-100mph time.
Pretty much a 1 Second improvement.

I did notice a bigger torque shove in the midrange and where there was a boost drop Stock midway through the RPM Range. The JB4 got rid of it.
I wouldn't say my car is THAT much faster, but it adds enough of a power bump to make the car feel like what it should have been stock.

I moved to the Blackwing after owning a Tuned RS3, Golf R, and ZL1, so my perceptions of speed post tuning were reflected off those vehicles. I was used to, especially with the german cars, a major power bump post tune.

With the JB4, I would say the power feels like an extra 10-15% and it feels OEM+, at least on 91 Octane. Maybe in the oncoming weeks I'll try dumping a few gallons of E85 and trial a E30 blend Tune.
I'd be curious to see results from a Full HP Tuners tune on 91 octane.

I'm curious to read everyone else's experiences and datalogs if you're willing to share.

Attached is a link to my data log, 2 pulls in 3rd gear from 2500-6500 RPM. First Pull Stock and the Second Pull with the 91 JB4 Map.

Datazap is a nice website which generates an interactive graph of the excel file.

View attachment 20686
At this point in time, what drove your decision to go with the JB4 vs having your ECM unlocked and getting it tuned?

Very nice write-up. Thanks for sharing all that.

Glad you appreciate the customer service, and are enjoying the car so much!

At this point in time, what drove your decision to go with the JB4 vs having your ECM unlocked and getting it tuned?
Honestly for 91oct I feel that a fully unlocked tune would only achieve diminishing returns past the gains of a JB4 with the added cost of losing my warranty.

JB4 is ~$700
Full Tune ~$3200

$2500 more for maybe a few more whp on 91 in the midrange?
I'd like to see some true 91 dynos before commiting.

I'd rather spend the $2500 on track days, tires, and brakes.

I track the car, so I'd like to at least retain the chance of keeping my warranty with the JB4 (not sure if GM can detect it with the GroupB Platform)

Nice write up! Im in Cali too with cheap 91. I decided to go with the carbon intake lid for that smaller bump in power though. I too am worried about warranty; even though I just bought my mpvi3 & the credits needed 😅 I'm keeping one foot in & one foot out for now I guess. Are you planning on getting the downpipes?

Nice write up! Im in Cali too with cheap 91. I decided to go with the carbon intake lid for that smaller bump in power though. I too am worried about warranty; even though I just bought my mpvi3 & the credits needed 😅 I'm keeping one foot in & one foot out for now I guess. Are you planning on getting the downpipes?
Let us know when you're ready Aaron. We are cranking out Global B tunes daily, with the best powerbands and safest tunes in this community.

How’s the carbon intake lid treating you?

Let us know when you're ready Aaron. We are cranking out Global B tunes daily, with the best powerbands and safest tunes in this community.
Definitely will! After DPs, TB & fuel cam; I'll be making the move.

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Delaware Cadillac

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners

Back