Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

Newbie question: no crackles/pops on CT5V BW?

Well I have watched about 10+ Youtube video reviews of the car and I can hear the burbles and crackling when the reviewers drive these cars (presumably in more aggressive modes) and it still grates on me - it's like nails on a chalkboard. The car sounds amazing as it is accelerating through the rev range and then when they let off or shift, it all ruins if for me. I get that the vast majority of people enjoy it and I'm not disparaging other peoples' preferences but it isn't for me.

All I'm trying to find out is if there is a way to live with a CT5V BW with all the performance and fun but avoid the crackles and burbles. If there is - I want one. If there isn't - I think I will have to reluctantly pass. I could just buy one and try it out but that is wasteful if I don't end up keeping it.
You need to find an owner that will take you for a ride or let you drive. Then, you can get an honest idea.

I agree... Working on it.

And I'm honestly 95% sold... Just need to get through the last 5%

There is absolutely nothing else that delivers the performance, amazing engine, manual transmission and practical 4 door sedan form factor out there. Last of an era and I really don't want to miss out.

There are very few, if any crackles/pops in Tour mode, and you still have one lower exhaust mode to go below that.

I agree it's usually pretty annoying, but I like them on the BW... although part of me dislikes that they're obviously engineered in since they don't exist in some modes, and they can be a little excessive in the louder modes (5 seconds straight of popcorn noises every time you let off the throttle, even at 2k rpm).

There are very few, if any crackles/pops in Tour mode, and you still have one lower exhaust mode to go below that.

I agree it's usually pretty annoying, but I like them on the BW... although part of me dislikes that they're obviously engineered in since they don't exist in some modes, and they can be a little excessive in the louder modes (5 seconds straight of popcorn noises every time you let off the throttle, even at 2k rpm).

Yep - I generally just find the sound unpleasant but part of it is the fact that it is engineered sound and totally unnecessary for performance. I don't know why all manufacturers have started doing this in the past 10 years or so but I wish they didn't. I have a few high performance cars with wonderful exhaust notes, several from prior decades and none of them have any crackling/popping nonsense.

The popcorn exists, most likely because the car is so insulated that without it I wouldn't hear much of anything. The popcorn comes through all the sound deadening, the raw exhaust doesn't.

I'd actually like more exhaust sound (even that is fake engine noise above like 3k rpm) to the popcorn but I'd assume sound regulations plus the sound deadening had them go this route.

It is, honestly, fairly obnoxious, when you have the exhaust in the highest setting, especially if you have the rear seats folded down. I think its hysterical but it is pretty asinine at times, I've had it just repeatedly doing popcorn for over 5 seconds and its so ridiculous.

In the lowest engine sound setting it pretty much doesn't exist. If you touch the PTM modes (the knob on the steering wheel) you will bring it back. If you go to sport mode, you will bring it back. You will have to setup your MyMode to have engine sound in the lowest setting, which will make your exhaust whisper quiet, but also eliminate the popcorn. If you do get popcorn on some higher rpm overrun, it will be very minimal.

Leaving your exhaust in the lowest setting probably won't 100% eliminate the popcorn but it will in 90% of your driving, you will probably have to live with the other 10%, if it does happen it may only be for 1-2 seconds.

If this is the only reason for not wanting the car, I think its completely tolerable for you with the exhaust in the quietest setting. There's always something we don't like about our cars that we deal with because the other 95% of the package is awesome. Nobody is ever 100% satisfied, I think you will be fine.

In the name of science I will try to test out Tour mode and MyMode with exhaust in the lowest setting and see if I can get any popcorn in normal driving and at higher speed overrun today and report back, I have a 2-2.5 hour drive to do.

I’m 100% satisfied with the car and 30% satisfied with the only Cadillac dealership in town. Anytime I have to bring my car in for warranty work I cringe and then need to check all the work afterward.

How did I get to a 100% satisfaction level you may ask. It’s all about mental focus. I choose not to preoccupy my mind with the negatives.

One thing that annoyed me about my previous Mercedes was all the interior rattles. There were two in particular that the more I focused on them the worse my attitude became. I guess you could say rattles were my Achilles’ heel. The dealer attempted and failed to fix them on several occasions. At one point I had torn off all the door panels and the headliner and corrected the situation to my satisfaction. But the amount of time I spent on that endeavor was ridiculous. I realized over time that my obsession on rattles was borderline psychotic.

So my 5BW has the driver side window/A pillar buzzing induced by wind flow above 60mph. Eventually, when the weather is cooler, I’m going to do some diagnosis on it and then take it to the dealer to have it fixed. But for now I just keep the stereo on and don’t focus on it.

The exhaust business doesn’t bother me at all and my Mercedes also did this. With all the sound deadening, in the cabin it’s really pretty mild. And I keep my exhaust on full sound 100% of the time.

One thing that annoyed me about my previous Mercedes was all the interior rattles. There were two in particular that the more I focused on them the worse my attitude became. I guess you could say rattles were my Achilles’ heel. The dealer attempted and failed to fix them on several occasions. At one point I had torn off all the door panels and the headliner and corrected the situation to my satisfaction. But the amount of time I spent on that endeavor was ridiculous. I realized over time that my obsession on rattles was borderline psychotic.
As a current C63 driver, although it will be sold within the week, I'm not so sure you obsession with interior rattles is psychotic. They seem to be absolutely everywhere. Door panels rattle, the dash rattles, the shifting stalk rattles, air vents rattle, everything rattles. It's one of the reasons I'm selling and ordered a CT5 Blackwing. The longer I had the car the more I realized really the only thing I liked about it was the engine and the fancy dark gray matte paint. And the V8 in the Blackwing is better, so why not just go all in on driving experience and get one?

Yep - I generally just find the sound unpleasant but part of it is the fact that it is engineered sound and totally unnecessary for performance. I don't know why all manufacturers have started doing this in the past 10 years or so but I wish they didn't. I have a few high performance cars with wonderful exhaust notes, several from prior decades and none of them have any crackling/popping nonsense.
We get it, you don’t like the crackling and pops. Dude, stop your whining and move on. The Blackwing is not for you.

Sooner or later you will hear pops and gurgles. And that really seems to be a point of aggravation with you.
Either learn to accept and even like it, or avoid buying this particular car.

I feel like we’re being trolled at this point. Nothing more anyone can say to satiate the snap crackle pop troll.

Not trolling but thanks to those who provided useful info. Will continue to try to do some in person evaluation and go from there. I think all I really need is a 5 minute passenger seat ride in someone's car driven spiritedly in tour mode and I will be able to make up my mind. I'm hoping that might happen at today's Cadillac car show.

Thanks!

I think we're all so mental over the BW that it's hard to process someone that is unsure about ownership, especially over something so obscure. If you do decide to get one, I think you'll look back and this thread and understand our collective perspective and how much it appears to us that you're missing the entire premise of the car. With Global B now hacked, it's almost a certainty that you will be able to tune that out.

It was a nice time at the car show and I may have a lead on checking out an owner‘s CT5V BW that is broken in. Either way, got to see a lot of cool stuff.
IMG_4595.jpeg
062A7459.jpeg
062A7472.jpeg
062A7461.jpeg
062A7478.jpeg
062A7468.jpeg
062A7473.jpeg
062A7460.jpeg

I think we're all so mental over the BW that it's hard to process someone that is unsure about ownership, especially over something so obscure. If you do decide to get one, I think you'll look back and this thread and understand our collective perspective and how much it appears to us that you're missing the entire premise of the car. With Global B now hacked, it's almost a certainty that you will be able to tune that out.
That’s me, mental for sure. I watched some YouTube videos one afternoon/evening and immediately knew it was the car for me .The next day I was calling dealers and joined the rodeo. The car brought back memories of my early driving days at the end of the muscle car era. I saw this is my last chance to own a part of American car history in a brand new truly inspired car.

I want a hood scoop for a Blackwing refresh. God damn those CTS-V looks fine.

So do I!
I have learned with the A10, put the car in V model, then when you are slowing down downshift until the engine is running at least 2,500 rpms then when you lift off the gas she makes all kinds of noise.
I do, everyday! I know how to make my 4 BW sing to me... Is it bad if I get a little bit of a stiffy when I hear it?
Chicken My Body Is Ready GIF by giphystudios2021

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Delaware Cadillac

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners