Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

Newbie question: no crackles/pops on CT5V BW?

Excessive poopcorn noises the kids are tuning to achieve today is beyond annoying. Was cruising along side a clapped out E430 recently that was poopcorning non stop. I ended up turning way early just to avoid listening to it any longer. The little that the BW5 spits is not the same noise. I school girl giggle a little when mine does it.

I wished my Escalade V was slightly quieter (manic in V mode) and the 5BW louder in track mode. You will truly have minimal to no pops in tour and stealth mode. If one or two muffled slip through and it still bothers you, you just need to move on and maybe it is time for an EV that won't make any grating popping exhaust sounds.

I think the engineers were very restrained with the exhaust overall. It sounds healthy, but muted IMHO, even in track mode. Especially on the inside. People on the street apparently hear more exhaust volume, but not so much inside.

IDK, it seemed decently loud in the cabin when I was at Spring Mountain driving a 5BW, and that’s with a helmet and my not so great hearing. Maybe it’s because it was floored all the time.

I'm going to try to explain myself one more time and then I'll leave it alone.. I don't have any objections to loud exhaust - in fact I have an F355 with a Tubi exhaust that sounds like a 90s Formula One car, an Aston Martin with a loud rumbling V8 and a GT3 with a 9000 rpm screamer of an engine. These are all loud, aggressive engines and I love them but what they don't have is artificial burbles and pops.. That's the only thing that bugs me. So when I hear "You will truly have minimal to no pops in tour and stealth mode." like quikag writes above I am encouraged that I can be happy with the blackwing. I'm not at all looking for an EV or a Lexus snoozebarge - just an honest, clean exhaust note. Loud is fine, fake and crackly annoys me.

But if it bugs you guys so much that I'm asking questions rather than just embracing all of the blackwing for every single choice GM made (despite there being a thread on here about things that people don't like about their BWs) then I will leave it alone and sort it out by myself.

And again, genuine thanks to those who have shared their experience and take on the questions I am raising without being dismissive.

Stealth and tour mode produces no burbles and pops but it also gives off no exhaust.

Basically you can't have a good exhaust and not have burbles and pops with this car. They are a package deal.

I wouldn't want to drive around in tour mode to avoid the pops because then I'd have zero exhaust sound, save for whatever fake engine noise is being pumped in through the speakers.

You either except that having no pops means having a quiet exhaust (sounds like a Lexus) or you embrace it (inside the car they aren't bad, its noticable but not bad) outside the car its obnoxious but thats a problem for the people walking on the street.

If this is literally the break it or make it issue to owning this car, obviously the need to have the last V8 MANUAL sedan doesn't actually matter as much because anybody else who needed a manual V8 sedan bought one or is buying one, forget the rest of the car, it doesn't matter.

Embrace it, fondle it, tickle it

I guess you could call it “artificial” in the sense that they programmed the ECU to dump some fuel when letting off the throttle at certain RPMs. And I suppose there is no good engineering reason to do that.

If this is literally the break it or make it issue to owning this car, obviously the need to have the last V8 MANUAL sedan doesn't actually matter as much because anybody else who needed a manual V8 sedan bought one or is buying one, forget the rest of the car, it doesn't matter.

It‘s going to be the ‘last V8 manual sedan that I love’ in my case - basically coming down to CTS5 BW or an F10 M5. The M5 would be used, older, slower, less reliable, etc.. so I’m leaning strongly towards the Cadillac but I do have some picky preferences (most of which the CT5 meets - like a manual and good looks are non-negotiable to me)

I tend to do a lot of research before I buy a car but then when I do, I keep them forever (which is why I have 7 cars currently, one more on order and looking at a CT5V BW)

It‘s going to be the ‘last V8 manual sedan that I love’ in my case - basically coming down to CTS5 BW or an F10 M5. The M5 would be used, older, slower, less reliable, etc.. so I’m leaning strongly towards the Cadillac but I do have some picky preferences (most of which the CT5 meets - like a manual and good looks are non-negotiable to me)

I tend to do a lot of research before I buy a car but then when I do, I keep them forever (which is why I have 7 cars currently, one more on order and looking at a CT5V BW)
Don't those F10s also have a crazy burble tune too? It was the first gen of those BMW hot-vee turbos.

Don't those F10s also have a crazy burble tune too? It was the first gen of those BMW hot-vee turbos.

Very easy to completely disable via tune and it is much less than what I am seeing on Youtube videos of CT5V BW driven properly anyway.

Since Global B was only recently cracked, It should be safe to say that no one has attempted a popcorn free tune yet. Maybe it is possible through tuning trial and error though, just a matter of time.

Since Global B was only recently cracked, It should be safe to say that no one has attempted a popcorn free tune yet. Maybe it is possible through tuning trial and error though, just a matter of time.

I am not familiar with Global B - I'm guessing this means ECU tuning? Where can I find more info or speak with a tuner? I have had custom tuning to my 992 Carrera S that came with burbles in the sport setting and an obnoxious cold start routine and both are completely eliminated (+120 hp as well)

I do, everyday! I know how to make my 4 BW sing to me... Is it bad if I get a little bit of a stiffy when I hear it?
Chicken My Body Is Ready GIF by giphystudios2021
No

I have 3 projects, one I haven't touched for 3 years, one for 10 years, and 1 for 23 years. That's why I love my BW, no work needed, just drive and enjoy.

And yes, Global B refers to the encryption of the current computer systems since so many systems are now "drive by wire".

Stealth and tour mode produces no burbles and pops but it also gives off no exhaust.

Basically you can't have a good exhaust and not have burbles and pops with this car. They are a package deal.

I wouldn't want to drive around in tour mode to avoid the pops because then I'd have zero exhaust sound, save for whatever fake engine noise is being pumped in through the speakers.

You either except that having no pops means having a quiet exhaust (sounds like a Lexus) or you embrace it (inside the car they aren't bad, its noticable but not bad) outside the car its obnoxious but thats a problem for the people walking on the street.
There's an exception to this, and that is WOT. In Tour mode if you go WOT you get full exhaust sound, but with no pops on decel. I think this is the mode that the OP is looking for.

And with V-mode, you can program Tour exhaust with any other settings you want, including PTM. Best of both worlds.

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Delaware Cadillac

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners

Back