Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

CT5-V New CT5-V Blackwing needs new transmission prior to delivery. What to do?

CT5-V Model
Man that is in rough shape. I suggest name dropping so people can avoid that dealership. They deserve to be shamed.

Would writing a strongly worded letter to Cadillac and GM brass help any with this situation? It's a new car and was delivered to you in pretty bad condition. I would say this would fail PDI, but that dealer clearly didn't even bother.

Holy jesus. I'm in SOCAL and seeing this makes me dread using whatever dealership you used. Drop a name so I avoid that place like a plague. lol.
This! I didn’t realize that this was even in SoCal.

I’ve seen 20yr old cars come in better shape… wow!

Gross incompetence and negligence is the new norm. It's been building up this way for some time and the China virus pushed it over the cliff. It's unfortunate times we live in, but almost any work that I have done on anything needs to be inspected by myself.

Last edited:
Send pics along with detailed description as you’ve done here, to General Motors, the general manager and owner of the dealership, and most importantly, Lawyer up!

The price of the car is irrelevant here (and in most arguments); a 15 year old used Civic or $300k Porsche, that level of mechanical incompetence is revolting. However, this is a predictable outcome. When the service center becomes the primary profit center of most dealerships, the incentive to cut corners is irresistible.

From the looks of that work, I'm guessing the tech was possibly an ex wife with a serious vendetta to settle??? Have you checked to see if the brake lines were cut?? :r

From the looks of that work, I'm guessing the tech was possibly an ex wife with a serious vendetta to settle??? Have you checked to see if the brake lines were cut?? :r
Or, a pimply faced lot boy. 🤷🏻‍♂️

That mechanic needs to go back to working at Circle K and work on getting his GED.

I want to give the dealer a chance to make this right before stating which it is, but it is one of the higher volume blackwing dealers in the LA area - give me a couple of weeks before I trash them publicly - hopefully they'll fix everything and I can instead say how they bent over backwards to make this right.

I have an appointment to take the car in on Saturday. I let my salesman know about these issues and he said he informed the service manager and would meet me at my service appointment. At this point, no one at the dealership but the tech that performed the work knows what kind of work was done on this car. I am hopeful that this is not the quality of work management expects and tolerates and will make it right. If not, I'll see if GM / Cadillac has any inputs (several have said to email Cadillac, but I don't know how to reach them - all my contact has been through the dealer).

I read through the service manual again to see what else I need to check - turns out the clutch line needs to be disconnected and it says to cap the line to prevent fluid contamination. Given the complete lack of care that was shown on the rest of the job I am concerned brake fluid leaked and is currently dissolving the paint in the engine compartment. It is super tight in there and I could not really see much of anything (the clutch line connection or any spilled brake fluid). However I did find a heat shield that was not reinstalled properly. It is at the back of the left cylinder head. I think this is a heat shield for the O2 connector, but I'm not sure. Picture below.

I also found more plastic fasteners that were left off, and some slight damage to the Engine Front Splash Shield. And, strangely, one of the front splitter plastic fasteners is missing - all I can think of is that they harvested it to use elsewhere. From the witness mark, it sure looks like it was installed at the factory.

There must be a bunch more missing fasteners that I just can't see - after all I'm just rolling around on the ground with a flashlight.

1685674000266.png

1685674036906.png

1685674063856.png

1685674096796.png

I've seen better quality of workmanship at the 10 minute oil change place that has nothing but high school kids working it.

Wow, horrible QC and attention to detail on that repair. :(

Make it right? It's not like there was something incidental that happened in the process of R&R. How many vehicles that had a major service in that shit show of a shop look like yours? You would be doing a public service by putting them on blast. They would never touch my car again and would be paying for a third party to inspect their work.

I want to give the dealer a chance to make this right before stating which it is, but it is one of the higher volume blackwing dealers in the LA area - give me a couple of weeks before I trash them publicly - hopefully they'll fix everything and I can instead say how they bent over backwards to make this right.

I have an appointment to take the car in on Saturday. I let my salesman know about these issues and he said he informed the service manager and would meet me at my service appointment. At this point, no one at the dealership but the tech that performed the work knows what kind of work was done on this car. I am hopeful that this is not the quality of work management expects and tolerates and will make it right. If not, I'll see if GM / Cadillac has any inputs (several have said to email Cadillac, but I don't know how to reach them - all my contact has been through the dealer).

I read through the service manual again to see what else I need to check - turns out the clutch line needs to be disconnected and it says to cap the line to prevent fluid contamination. Given the complete lack of care that was shown on the rest of the job I am concerned brake fluid leaked and is currently dissolving the paint in the engine compartment. It is super tight in there and I could not really see much of anything (the clutch line connection or any spilled brake fluid). However I did find a heat shield that was not reinstalled properly. It is at the back of the left cylinder head. I think this is a heat shield for the O2 connector, but I'm not sure. Picture below.

I also found more plastic fasteners that were left off, and some slight damage to the Engine Front Splash Shield. And, strangely, one of the front splitter plastic fasteners is missing - all I can think of is that they harvested it to use elsewhere. From the witness mark, it sure looks like it was installed at the factory.

There must be a bunch more missing fasteners that I just can't see - after all I'm just rolling around on the ground with a flashlight.

View attachment 19242

View attachment 19243
View attachment 19244
View attachment 19245
My 4V BW manual transmission is currently at my local dealer in the air with the transmission out because something in the trans wasn't seated correctly when it was built. The dealer is either going to fix the transmission or replace it. I will find out which tomorrow.

To say I am concerned after seeing your post is an understatement. I have my own lift at home and I hate having other people work on my cars. I will be going over mine thoroughly after I get it back.

Please post your outcome and I'm sorry to hear of your experience. Getting a new car should be awesome, not a huge headache.

What a shit show going on here. Now I'm wondering how much of this fiasco is a result of the tranny swap....

Good luck bud!

Wow I just now read through all of this. No way I would EVER let this dealer touch my BW again under any circumstances! I think it said your were taking it back to them Yesterday, But I hope you have 100 more pictures than the ones we are all looking at and personally I would offer them the option to purchase the car back from you or pursue every legal avenue available to you and blast away on social media about this work at this dealership. Not only is this very shoddy work but when you factor in how dangerous this could really be had you not noticed all these loose and/or missing bolts, man props to you for rolling under your car and looking at things.

I am one of those ultra OCD people like you and I just could never accept this being done to ANY of my cars let alone a new $100K Blackwing.

Best of luck.

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Delaware Cadillac

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners