Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

Media dumps

Many of the comments for the video are of the variety "it needs a V8".;shrug

I think if I wanted the V8 I would have bought a Camaro 2SS.

BTW, they also commented on how complicated the different modes are as have some other reviewers. I don't get that. How can having the ability to customize nearly everything be a fault, especially when you can do it once in My Mode and V Mode, activate with a simple button press, and never have to dig into again if you don't want to.

Last edited:
The v8 line is such a tired argument, it’s mostly by people who have either not driven the blackwing for extensive time or the v8(lt) for an extended time.

It’s just parroting a line by camissa and other press members. The v6 is at least as good as an lt1 and dare say it a little better.

Many of the comments for the video are of the variety "it needs a V8".;shrug

I think if I wanted the V8 I would have bought a Camaro 2SS.

BTW, they also commented on how complicated the different modes are as have some other reviewers. I don't get that. How can having the ability to customize nearly everything be a fault, especially when you can do it once in My Mode and V Mode, activate with a simple button press, and never have to dig into again if you don't want to.
Ppl are like that, they want everything and when you give it to them they say it's too much and want more simple.

It seems to be a natural trait of the human to complain when things are too easy.

Finally - I love these guys reviews on other cars. I didn't think they'd like it but they did and they finally gave the car some credit! I think it's good they lost the original footage and had some time with similar cars to compare it to.
Very brief mention of it in the TST podcast too.

Nothing new but they basically say a ct4 v blackwing is a more usable camaro(compared to an m2 i.e)

Cool quote in this Porsche Spyder RS article:
“By virtue of it's multitudinous and symphonic intake notes, the Spyder RS is perhaps the best-sounding thing on the road right now (though, perhaps, Lamborghini’s Huracan V-10, Ferrari’s N/A V-12, and the brooding thundercloud stuffed under the Cadillac CT5-V Blackwings’s hood share top honors).”

I think the CT5-V Blackwing is slowly building out its legendary status.

In the newest print version of C&D they have a mileage tracker on each of their long-term vehicles and looks like they have hit 45,000 on their 5BW (normally they only go to ~40k, they must not want to give it back) so a summary report should be imminent.

The v8 line is such a tired argument, it’s mostly by people who have either not driven the blackwing for extensive time or the v8(lt) for an extended time.

It’s just parroting a line by camissa and other press members. The v6 is at least as good as an lt1 and dare say it a little better.
I agree its a tired line. I agree V8s sound amazing, the problem I have is there are NO V8's in the class the CT4V Blackwing competes in, except for the ISF 500. In fact one could argue the ISF 500 is what you would get if the 4BW sacrificed chassis dynamics for a V8. The reality is the LF4 outperforms the the big V8 despite them having the same peak power figures. As V6 go its hard to beat the sound of the Alpha Romeo Quattrafolio, but I'll take the sound of the LF4 over any of the straight 6 Beamers. If I had a car mag, that would be my shootout, the 4BW vs the ISF 500. Not just a drag race but living and using the cars for at least a week. I'm telling you the LF4 engine lacks little in the real world.

I agree its a tired line. I agree V8s sound amazing, the problem I have is there are NO V8's in the class the CT4V Blackwing competes in, except for the ISF 500. In fact one could argue the ISF 500 is what you would get if the 4BW sacrificed chassis dynamics for a V8. The reality is the LF4 outperforms the the big V8 despite them having the same peak power figures. As V6 go its hard to beat the sound of the Alpha Romeo Quattrafolio, but I'll take the sound of the LF4 over any of the straight 6 Beamers. If I had a car mag, that would be my shootout, the 4BW vs the ISF 500. Not just a drag race but living and using the cars for at least a week. I'm telling you the LF4 engine lacks little in the real world.

I would argue that the shitty Lexus automatic transmission is holding that engine back significantly. More precise to argue that the {LF4 + GM transmission} (auto or manual) outperforms the {Lexus V8 + automatic transmission}. The Lexus transmission may be good at many things (comfort, reliability, ??) but it is not a great pairing for that engine if you want to have fun. In my limited experience.

I would argue that the shitty Lexus automatic transmission is holding that engine back significantly. More precise to argue that the {LF4 + GM transmission} (auto or manual) outperforms the {Lexus V8 + automatic transmission}. The Lexus transmission may be good at many things (comfort, reliability, ??) but it is not a great pairing for that engine if you want to have fun. In my limited experience.
Yeah, that transmission is ancient and brutally slow from some of the reviews I've seen. I briefly looked for one last summer before realizing I'd always regret losing the manual more than losing the V8.

That
That transmission does not belong anywhere near a 60k car. The engine is a gem but the transmission is so ancient and clunky and slow.

My fault for creating a rabbit trail.

My point was none of the reviewers complain about the LF4's power, even when driven back to back with mind bending stomp of the 5BW. The complaint is always the same, the sound. It's not even it sounds bad for a V6 it's always the same, it doesn't sound like a V8, but there is only one car in the class that actually has a V8, which the LF4 matches in peak hp while making more peak torque and at all rpms. Not to mention the subcompact luxury sports sedan class was defined and anchored by turbo six cylinders.

It's akin to knocking a falcon because it doesn't sound like an eagle, in a class full of falcons, because it's cousin happens to be an eagle.

The ISF500 is also a smaller interior than the 4BW, heavier and despite the lack of a manual transmission, the worst part is the chassis isn't as capable and communicative as the alpha platform, the sense of grip always seemed to be vague where as the alpha cars all seem to give a sense of what's going on at all four corners. I simply never got along with it.

Last edited:

Hmmmm, his summary sounds very much like some guy on here...

What bothers me is that these comments are made without taking literally 5 minutes to just learn how the modes work. It's not that complex!

What bothers me is that these comments are made without taking literally 5 minutes to just learn how the modes work. It's not that complex!
Welcome to journalism. Nobody actually looks up the car, they just jump in, screw around with it and then complain about things that you could literally have looked up if you did any research into the car you were being given.

@SIX 40 .......interesting comparison. Think a lot of what he said is subjective. CTS V doesn't have Recaros. 8 speed is ok, but has some issues. Yes, I'd take a BW over the CTS V if I could only have one, but I'd love to have both. CTS V's are really holding their value right now.

Light read.

Light read.
I absolutely don't understand the stiff riding comments the 4BW is one of the best riding cars I ever drove, yes the spring rates cannot be jellow smooth but the shock tuning in touring mode is exceptional.

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Delaware Cadillac

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners

Back