Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

Media dumps

How did we miss this post!

"We’re all about creativity here at Cadillac… just wait for Assendiq [pronounced Aas-and-diq] and Cryptiq,” he added." 😂 😂 😂

Not Blackwing-related, but probably of interest to the group:

Reuters: GM plans to phase out Apple CarPlay and Android Auto

Some choice quotes:

"General Motors plans to phase out widely-used Apple CarPlay and Android Auto technologies that allow drivers to bypass a vehicle's infotainment systems, shifting instead to built-in infotainment systems developed with Google for future electric vehicles."

"GM's decision to stop offering those systems in future electric vehicles, starting with the 2024 Chevrolet Blazer, could help the automaker capture more data on how consumers drive and charge EVs."

"GM has been working with Google since 2019 to develop the software foundations for infotainment systems that will be more tightly integrated with other vehicle systems such as GM's Super Cruise driver assistant. The automaker is accelerating a strategy for its EVs to be platforms for digital subscription services."

"'We have a lot of new driver assistance features coming that are more tightly coupled with navigation,' [GM's chief digital officer] Hichme told Reuters. 'We don’t want to design these features in a way that are dependent on person having a cellphone.'"

"Buyers of GM EVs with the new systems will get access to Google Maps and Google Assistant, a voice command system, at no extra cost for eight years, GM said. GM said the future infotainment systems will offer applications such as Spotify's music service, Audible and other services that many drivers now access via smartphones."

"'We do believe there are subscription revenue opportunities for us,' Kummer said. GM Chief Executive Mary Barra is aiming for $20 billion to $25 billion in annual revenue from subscriptions by 2030."

----

Data acquisition and subscriptions. I see the automotive future that is coming, and I do not like it.

Some choice quotes:

"General Motors plans to phase out widely-used Apple CarPlay and Android Auto technologies that allow drivers to bypass a vehicle's infotainment systems, shifting instead to built-in infotainment systems developed with Google for future electric vehicles."

"GM's decision to stop offering those systems in future electric vehicles, starting with the 2024 Chevrolet Blazer, could help the automaker capture more data on how consumers drive and charge EVs."

"GM has been working with Google since 2019 to develop the software foundations for infotainment systems that will be more tightly integrated with other vehicle systems such as GM's Super Cruise driver assistant. The automaker is accelerating a strategy for its EVs to be platforms for digital subscription services."

"'We have a lot of new driver assistance features coming that are more tightly coupled with navigation,' [GM's chief digital officer] Hichme told Reuters. 'We don’t want to design these features in a way that are dependent on person having a cellphone.'"

"Buyers of GM EVs with the new systems will get access to Google Maps and Google Assistant, a voice command system, at no extra cost for eight years, GM said. GM said the future infotainment systems will offer applications such as Spotify's music service, Audible and other services that many drivers now access via smartphones."

"'We do believe there are subscription revenue opportunities for us,' Kummer said. GM Chief Executive Mary Barra is aiming for $20 billion to $25 billion in annual revenue from subscriptions by 2030."

----

Data acquisition and subscriptions. I see the automotive future that is coming, and I do not like it.
Here's GM: We're dropping Apple CarPlay so we can make more money off of you

Here's me:
Real Housewives Tata GIF by Slice

Some choice quotes:

----

Even after it's paid off, you still have a monthly payment. 😡

Hichme said:

Hey Stupid- EVERYONE HAS A CELL PHONE. And I guarantee it works better than whatever UI you are designing.

I don't want to pay Cadillac to use something like Waze on the car screen through a vehicle services subscription when it works fine for free on the phone and a simple cable can link it in or wireless airplay. GM putting the $$$ first...

Car and Driver long-term CT5BW

Trigger warning: Blackwing on snowy road (gasp!) imagery ahead
"We've crested 300 miles a few times, and the longer trips have pushed our running average fuel economy up by two miles per gallon to 17 mpg. On highway legs, including our 75-mph highway fuel-economy test, we've seen as high as 22 mpg, 1 mpg better than the EPA highway figure, which means that theoretically a run in the high 300-mile range is possible."

Pff. amateurs

Pahrump to Bakersfield leg of my return trip from V-Academy:
IMG_9470.jpeg

You can tell by the current MPG of 7, that he is accelerating. . . likely from a stop light/sign. But 30MPG avg.....that's excessive. Need to add weight/pressure on right foot. @NorCal Blackwing, remember what we learned in Pahrump 🏎️ = :happyanim:

You can tell by the current MPG of 7, that he is accelerating. . . likely from a stop light/sign. But 30MPG avg.....that's excessive. Need to add weight/pressure on right foot. @NorCal Blackwing, remember what we learned in Pahrump 🏎️ = :happyanim:
This is where I hit real California traffic! MPG goes downhill from there.

You can get 30MPG if you are cruising at a steady 75, downhill, for a couple hundred miles, with no traffic, in 6th gear.

Moral of the story = don't be afraid to road trip your Blackwing if you have 'range anxiety'!

More info from GM on this:

Jalopnik: GM Wants to Win You Over Without Apple CarPlay and Android Auto

subtitle: Some at the automaker think the fallout from their oncoming abandonment of phone projection systems will eventually pass

The gist of the article is that GM thinks people want CarPlay because OEM in-car systems suck so bad.

They also think an integrated system can have features unavailable on a phone, like warming up the battery for fast charging as the car is navigating to a public charger.

There is some truth in both ideas, methinks.

Where I think they are dropping the ball is in removing user choice. If the company that shat out CUE thinks they can make a compelling in-car infotainment, then make it. If people like it they will use it.

More info from GM on this:

Jalopnik: GM Wants to Win You Over Without Apple CarPlay and Android Auto

subtitle: Some at the automaker think the fallout from their oncoming abandonment of phone projection systems will eventually pass

The gist of the article is that GM thinks people want CarPlay because OEM in-car systems suck so bad.

They also think an integrated system can have features unavailable on a phone, like warming up the battery for fast charging as the car is navigating to a public charger.

There is some truth in both ideas, methinks.

Where I think they are dropping the ball is in removing user choice. If the company that shat out CUE thinks they can make a compelling in-car infotainment, then make it. If people like it they will use it.
GM is constructing a false choice. There is no reason that they can't integrate any future feature into their UI that they want (battery warming, etc.) while still making AA/CP available. There is no way that their UI is going to be as good as CP or AA for two reasons:
1. Apple and Google are likely outspending GM on phone integration and UI by a factor of 5, if not more.
2. AA/CP are hardware independent. The car is just a dummy screen for all the processing that is happening on the phone. I don't know about you, but I get a new phone a lot more frequently than I get a new car, so AA/CP will continue to get better (both hardware AND software) over time while GM will only be able to upgrade the software.

This is blatantly a way for GM to add a revenue stream disguised as the only way to add new features. FU.

They think they can get away with it because Tesla doesn't offer AA/CP. And honestly, lack of phone integration in our Tesla is the primary thing we don't like about it, and after living without it in that car, we won't buy another car without it. Sorry GM.

Last edited:
GM is constructing a false choice. There is no reason that they can't integrate any future feature into their UI that they want (battery warming, etc.) while still making AA/CP available. There is no way that their UI is going to be as good as CP or AA for two reasons:
1. Apple and Google are likely outspending GM on phone integration and UI by a factor of 5, if not more.
2. AA/CP are hardware independent. The car is just a dummy screen for all the processing that is happening on the phone. I don't know about you, but I get a new phone a lot more frequently than I get a new car, so AA/CP will continue to get better (both hardware AND software) over time while GM will only be able to upgrade the software.

This is blatantly a way for GM to add a revenue stream disguised as the only way to add new features. FU.

They think they can get away with it because Tesla doesn't offer AA/CP. And honestly, lack of native phone integration in our Tesla is the primary thing we don't like about it, and after living without it in that car, we won't buy another car without it. Sorry GM.

I actually felt the same way before I got the Tesla, but I actually see why for an electric vehicle Car Play and Android Auto in their current form would not be ideal. The infotainment system for the Tesla is heavily integrated into car functions since it's the only screen. On the Blackwing and the X3M the only thing I use car play for is Waze and music through Pandora. In the Tesla I've been running Waze in parallel with Tesla's own nav. Over time I've come to like Teslas system better than waze, it's more accurate wherew waze is optimistic on arrival times and avoids traffic as well or better. It also will estimate your charge remaining and the charge remaining for a round trip. It will add supercharger stops for you if you won't make it. It will also precondition the battery just at the right time if you navigate to a supercharger. It allows car function menus and screens to share screen with the Navi system and music. Android Auto and Car Play have to work across various cars and phones and is much more restricted in how they integrate with the car. Honestly once I figured how to get my Pandora to play through Bluetooth with the Tesla I don't miss Android Auto at all. As more cars depend on screens to control all car functions, Android Auto and Carplay will fall out of favor because of exactly what you said, it is a one way system. Carplay controls the phone, but the phone won't control the car.

In addition for both Cadillac and BMW, Android Auto and car play integration is spotty. Sometimes it randomly drops, sometimes it takes a while to connect.

Can I just take a moment to say that I love my BW's buttons and the fact I don't have to dig through 8 levels of menus to turn on my seat warmers?

Seems automakers have decided that one of the only differentiators in the coming world of electric appliance pod cars is going to be the software experience. Powertrain and performance are likely to be pretty much identical for every low to midrange car.

So GM has decided it's going to have be a software company that's going toe to toe with Apple, Tesla on UI/UX. All I can say is... best of luck guys!

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Delaware Cadillac

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners

Back