Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

Media dumps

No worries, I quote because it was so well composed, but it seems many professional reviewers say the same things about the V8 in the 4 yet they don't tend to say the same thing about the b58 in the beamer of needing a V8 in the AMG CLA, or the RS3. Its funny because even driving like a person with some common sense downtown in this car, people turn to look at what is coming before you pass them, so it is not quiet for sure, and the way it pops and gurgles on decel well... its definitely plays its own kind of music.

Yeah, the snap, crackle, pops on decell are hilarious in this car. I actually have the exhaust set to about 3/4 so it is not a complete fireworks display. I love the deeper tone on decel, I just wish they could have been able to get that tone on acceleration as well. With the window down it is fine since you hear the exhaust note better and it cancels out the less desirable tone.

Last edited:
I was still running motorcycles exclusively back then but its the same thing, guy buys a liter bike and pins it down the straights only to have someone on a 250 reel him in and be frustrated they can't get by because he drag races everyone down the straights.
TWS was so much fun, tipping into turn 1 with your knee and elbow on the deck at something norh of 110mph is such a rush. I miss that track!!!! 😭😭😭

No worries, I quote because it was so well composed, but it seems many professional reviewers say the same things about the V8 in the 4 yet they don't tend to say the same thing about the b58 in the beamer of needing a V8 in the AMG CLA, or the RS3. Its funny because even driving like a person with some common sense downtown in this car, people turn to look at what is coming before you pass them, so it is not quiet for sure, and the way it pops and gurgles on decel well... its definitely plays its own kind of music.
I never had the balls or skills to drag a knee on a litter bike..... I sure miss my CBR1000rr

Yeah, the snap, crackle, pops on decel on decel are hilarious in this car. I actually have the exhaust set to about 3/4 so it is not a complete fireworks display. I love the deeper tone on decel, I just wish they could have been able to get that tone on acceleration as well. With the window down it is fine since you hear the exhaust note better and it cancels out the less desirable tone.
Take a drive in colder weather with the back seats down. You will be blown away by how aggressive the exhaust actually is. It’s a lot louder to people outside the car lol

always liked this guy's videos
His prior 4BW vid was the very first one I saw. It's the one that made me go "Hmmmm...".

Over the next few days I watched the reviews from Doug Demuro, SavageGeese, and Matt Farah (Smoking Tire). I think Matt Farah's review finally pushed me over the edge.

I ordered my car 2.5 weeks later.

I like Topher's sort of on the fly style. One thing his drive of the 4 around the track captures as do so many Blackwing reviews, these cars make you laugh and smile as you drive them. They are so fun to drive. That quality is exactly what was missing on the M4 Competition xDrive I tried. That car was so refined, so well put together, such a great interior, But I did not smile and feel the driving enjoyment that the Blackwings bring out.

I like Topher's sort of on the fly style. One thing his drive of the 4 around the track captures as do so many Blackwing reviews, these cars make you laugh and smile as you drive them. They are so fun to drive. That quality is exactly what was missing on the M4 Competition xDrive I tried. That car was so refined, so well put together, such a great interior, But I did not smile and feel the driving enjoyment that the Blackwings bring out.
That's why i loved my ss...S6 just didn't feel the same.
On paper--> s6 all day... real world-->ss hands down

Obviously love the sh-t out of my 5bw too!

I hate to be pedantic, but people keep saying the LF4 doesn't have character or that the V8 has a better soundtrack. What they mean to say is they prefer V8s for the sake of V8s. The LF4 definitely has very nice soundtrack, the car is extremely well insulated so its tough to hear for the driver, but the outside audience is getting an earful!

The V6 turbo is easier to keep on a boil when driving on a race course and really pushes the driver to select the right gear to stay in the boost, and because its quick but not high Revving there are more gearing options for each corner with one still managing to be smooth. SMOOTH IS FAST on a track. Unless you're that annoying guy on the track with no corner speed who digs down every straight before parking in the braking zones, in which case a grunty V8 is more your style, but only to the point, you can maintain grip. Point and Squirt is not my idea of a fun track vehicle. A smooth-flowing pace with the car always on the boost is more fun both from a feel and a challenge-to-do perspective. So the LF4 definitely has Character, just different to a big V8.

I'm over 50 and I daily my 4BW when its not raining. The turbo v6 has plenty of rumble and gets people's attention without being that obnoxious super loud guy with the cammed-out V8 going potato potato potato in the parking lot shaking itself to death at idle. So I like being able to pull up in a business setting in a car that is aggressive enough that even people who don't know what it is clearly can hear it has impressive power, but with the refinement that says CEO, instead of shop project.

And for the record, My parking buddy at work in the M3 comp, prefers the sound of my V6 turbo over his inline 6 turbo, though we both agree his car has more (somewhat unnecessary) Tech and consistently better interior materials in the non-driver touch points. We're thinking of doing a real-world youtube comparison video.

Lastly, the Camaro is the V8 pony/muscle car in the GM lineup, the C8 is the sports/exotic/ hypercar, and the CT5 V BW the hyper Grand Tourer. The big V8 American grocery getter went extinct, killed off by the rise of the Mini Van, SUV and now Crossovers (RIP IMPALA, G8, Caprice, SS, Marauder, Crown Vic, Taurus SHO, CT6 V BW). The 4BW's segment is (Euro)Sports Sedan, all of which are either 6 or 5 cylinder turbos, Everybody plays their position. What is amazing is that the Blackwings are powerful and handle well enough to lead or be right near the top in the GT and Muscle Car segments with the 5, and Pony, Muscle, and (Euro) Sport Sedan segments with the 4. that's crazy!

Happy to be a pedant: you're not being pedantic, you're belaboring your point :sneaky:

Small car preferrer here: never owned a V8. While obviously (or should be) no one is besmirching the V6, it seems to be pretty clear across the various pistonheads/gearheads communities that the sound of an 8 is liked more than a 6, for all of its 8ness awesomeness - including this verrrrry happy 4BW owner.

It's not meant to lessen any other option - and doesn't mean dynamically other cylinder counts aren't better suited depending on platform - sound wise it just is what it is.

A V6 can never sound like a V8. The timing of the exhaust pulses is just not there. V6s when loud have a very raspy sound while the V8 is more like a deep grunting sound. Ultimately it’s a personal preference, but objectively it’s hard to justify saying a V6 sounds “better” than a V8.

Happy to be a pedant: you're not being pedantic, you're belaboring your point :sneaky:

Small car preferrer here: never owned a V8. While obviously (or should be) no one is besmirching the V6, it seems to be pretty clear across the various pistonheads/gearheads communities that the sound of an 8 is liked more than a 6, for all of its 8ness awesomeness - including this verrrrry happy 4BW owner.

It's not meant to lessen any other option - and doesn't mean dynamically other cylinder counts aren't better suited depending on platform - sound wise it just is what it is.

All I'm saying is, many reviewers tend review things based on some notion of they personally want a thing to be when in fact they should first be reviewing if it actually is what it says on the proverbial tin. After that then it can be compared to other stuff.

Knocking what has proved to be a pretty descent v6 in a segment of v6 cars simply because it doesn't sound like a v8 is kind of like begrudging a trumpet for ts in abilities to sound like a tuba. Same principle but different instruments.

A V6 can never sound like a V8. The timing of the exhaust pulses is just not there.

Flat-six is teh secks, tho.

All I'm saying is, many reviewers tend review things based on some notion of they personally want a thing to be when in fact they should first be reviewing if it actually is what it says on the proverbial tin. After that then it can be compared to other stuff.

Knocking what has proved to be a pretty descent v6 in a segment of v6 cars simply because it doesn't sound like a v8 is kind of like begrudging a trumpet for ts in abilities to sound like a tuba. Same principle but different instruments.

Repeating something I've said before: the 4BW is being held to standards the M3 doesn't seem to get held to.

I've read / seen a ton of 4BW reviews where one of the very first things the reviewer does is make a reference to the 5BW. I just don't recall M3 reviews doing the same kind of comparisons to the M5; the cars just don't compete in the marketplace.

M3 reviews tend to refer to all the other brands' "M3 fighter" models and how they don't stack up, LOL.

Flat-six is teh secks, tho.

Repeating something I've said before: the 4BW is being held to standards the M3 doesn't seem to get held to.

I've read / seen a ton of 4BW reviews where one of the very first things the reviewer does is make a reference to the 5BW. I just don't recall M3 reviews doing the same kind of comparisons to the M5; the cars just don't compete in the marketplace.

M3 reviews tend to refer to all the other brands' "M3 fighter" models and how they don't stack up, LOL.
It's a pretty simple reason: Cadillac released both at the same time and early reviewers would get initial access to both around the same time. They are kinda (I know ATS, CTS, CT6 aside) standalone models and it's only natural they are going to compare them.

BMW has been releasing M3s and M5s since the 90s with an established pattern. Everyone knows what they are and how they are different is baked in.

And IMHO the G8x M3/M4 are 'more' car than the 4BW, so it's a tough matchup for it. As I've said previously, to me the 4 is more an M2.5, RS3-ish value prop. More people will have M3s up around 5BW prices, than down at fully loaded 4BW prices, amongst other differentiators.

I was clicking around on 4BW reviews last night and came across one by Steve Hammes and was surprised to see he was driving the road I grew up on in the middle of nowhere upstate NY o_O

It's a pretty simple reason: Cadillac released both at the same time and early reviewers would get initial access to both around the same time. They are kinda (I know ATS, CTS, CT6 aside) standalone models and it's only natural they are going to compare them.

BMW has been releasing M3s and M5s since the 90s with an established pattern. Everyone knows what they are and how they are different is baked in.

And IMHO the G8x M3/M4 are 'more' car than the 4BW, so it's a tough matchup for it. As I've said previously, to me the 4 is more an M2.5, RS3-ish value prop. More people will have M3s up around 5BW prices, than down at fully loaded 4BW prices, amongst other differentiators.
Furthermore, all the 4BW reviews (and I have watched all of them...) only really compare the exhaust note and raw acceleration. The few good ones I've seen did mention that the 4BW is the better daily and the easier to get into track car. But is often mentioned they got both press cars at the same time.

The phenomenal 5BW Icon Video by Hagerty cameo'd the 4BW at the end stating the above.

Regarding the M3 almost all of the reviews comparing the 4BW to the M3 admit there is 1. a size disparity between the two, and 2. a significant cost disparity. However, each reviewer has mentioned that whilst being slower and having less luxurious interiors, they concede that the 4BW is a more engaging vehicle to drive. I think SavageGeese said the M3 CSL was "souless" in comparison.

I'm still waiting on Throttle House to drop a video of the 4BW. I like their track oriented style of videos and their no-nonsense review of the cons of a vehicle.

Furthermore, all the 4BW reviews (and I have watched all of them...) only really compare the exhaust note and raw acceleration. The few good ones I've seen did mention that the 4BW is the better daily and the easier to get into track car. But is often mentioned they got both press cars at the same time.

The phenomenal 5BW Icon Video by Hagerty cameo'd the 4BW at the end stating the above.

Regarding the M3 almost all of the reviews comparing the 4BW to the M3 admit there is 1. a size disparity between the two, and 2. a significant cost disparity. However, each reviewer has mentioned that whilst being slower and having less luxurious interiors, they concede that the 4BW is a more engaging vehicle to drive. I think SavageGeese said the M3 CSL was "souless" in comparison.

I'm still waiting on Throttle House to drop a video of the 4BW. I like their track oriented style of videos and their no-nonsense review of the cons of a vehicle.
Ya I don't think any reviewers have straight up said - go for the M3.
A few (SG vs the M4C / Matt Farah & his mate vs the M3 / a couple 'smaller' channels) picked the 4BW and it seems wafflers have said pretty much 'each to their own' they are so close, depending on what floats your boat.

It is weird TH didn't do the 4BW, especially since they did the 4V. I do think they might pull one of their trio-comparisons with it the G87 and RS3 next Spring/Summer though, but we'll have to wait and see obviously.

This is what an idiot looks like. I wish they'd get wins of this and deny his warranty claim.
Screenshot_20221129-191230.png

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Delaware Cadillac

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners