Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

Gearbox issue?

BurnBW

V-Series Cadillac(s)?
2022 CTV-5 BW
Hi,

3rd time today in 4500miles, 6MT CT5-V Blackiwing.
Starting from first gear in a normal start, the 1st gear pops out to neutral with a bang.

Anyone else? Should I be worries?
Couldn't find any other thread with that symptom.

Is it leaking manual transmission fluid? I had an old Subaru that did that but it was 150k+ miles and rusted out. The gears were starting to run dry

Otherwise it sounds like you weren’t fully engaged in 1st and so the gear popped itself out

I had this happen a few times if I wasnt 100% all the way in first. I just got more mindful of making sure it's totally in 1st and it stopped happening. First time it happened I thought I got rear ended.

I will say that overall the transmission is less smooth than when new. Supposedly changing the fluid (OEM or otherwise) will help these Tremecs. I'll do that when I'm bored.

Mine was hard to shift the very first time I started it when picking up from the dealer, but has been flawlessly smooth every shift since. I'm also at about 4500 miles.

Hi,

3rd time today in 4500miles, 6MT CT5-V Blackiwing.
Starting from first gear in a normal start, the 1st gear pops out to neutral with a bang.

Anyone else? Should I be worries?
Couldn't find any other thread with that symptom.
Thread 'Manual trans owners--both 4 and 5' Manual trans owners--both 4 and 5

Generally speaking the majority have no issues with the tr6060, but the ones that do didn't have a happy ending. But that issue specifically is odd. When this happens, did the car move forward at all before it popped out or did the car stall? What is happening with the rpms when it happens?

I suppose it would depend on how all the other gears go in? Does 1st have a notchy double clunk feel, what about the other gears, do they sink right in or is it just isolated to 1st?

None of this sounds good to me and it should not be doing this. Like others above have mentioned, make sure your fully in gear. I take it you don't know when it will happen or there is no pattern. If you start to notice a pattern of when and where it's doing this, clutch in put it in another gear (try 2nd, 3rd or 4th) and then right into 1st and take off to see if that helps.

Is it actually fully engaged in first? My Corvette's TR6070 on cold days will often not fully go into first gear with normal effort (it did it this morning actually) and when you start to get going the shifter pops back out.

I sometimes have to use a bit more force to get it into first completely.

However I haven't experienced this yet on my Blackwing but its only just started to get colder here and I haven't taken it out yet.

I would not doubt that other Tremec's have this behaviour on cold days, engaging first requires a bit more effort to ensure it is fully engaged and not half way up the gate.

Note when I say cold I mean 50 degrees or less. I usually will find I have to shift into first a few practice times at these temps to ensure it goes into the gate snuggly.

I recall my V1's Teremec T56 was very notchy getting into to first from a stop all the time. The workaround was: while in neutral depress clutch. go into 2nd and then immediately into 1st then let the clutch out. That became a smooth habit that you wouldn't even think about...middle, lower left, upper left, go. No idea why that worked since it is of course not double clutching.

In the 09 V I don't remember having any issues with 1st. Maybe I did the 2-1 trick above sometimes in really cold weather but my memory is fuzzy (in fact when I started writing this post is when I remembered how quirky the T56 was). In the 09 I used the AC Declo fluid and changed a couple times under 40k miles, then nothing until I sold the car at 105k miles.

Last edited:
The 2nd-then-1st trick is an annoying extra step, but its good advice. I've used that many times in various cars.

Had the same problem when I first got the car, though it was never frequent or constsitent. Can't remeber the last time it happened- not sure if that's from chance, from being more mindful when shifting, or the trans fluid change I had done.

This happened to me yesterday for the third time. Scares the crap out of me every time as it’s a pretty violent bang.

I figured it’s me not putting it in first all the way, but it’s odd since the car starts rolling before it happens. Puzzling to me why it doesn’t just grind if you’re not in gear fully.

Guess I’ll try to be more mindful and see what happens.

9k miles, everything else is good.

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Delaware Cadillac

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners