Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

Frustrated? I'm Not

jdpeake

Seasoned Member
V-Series Cadillac(s)?
2022 CT5-V Blackwing
Reading through many of the more recent threads and some of the earlier ones too I sense a growing frustration in the Blackwing process........so here's my take. What's yours?

First and foremost I am incredibly excited to get my car. PERIOD. Cadillac has made what is and will be one of the best ever vehicles in these classes. The real performance numbers won't arrive until the journalists get their hands on them in July - which is when I am expecting a flood of new ( positive ) information to arrive. We are in an elite group that have been fortunate enough to not reserve but order one of these cars, which someday will have incredible value ( my opinion anyway ) ( my dealer thinks I could sell mine at purchase time for 150K ) Either way, I will enjoy every single second sitting behind the wheel with my 668 horses pushing me forward. Let's not forget about the ability to row my own gears as I have chosen. The technology that these cars possess have never been experienced by myself so that will bring in a whole new dimension of "wow" when I get to drive. Creature comforts....say no more.

Has it been an easy process? Probably not just because the online brochure wasn't thorough enough nor are there real pictures of real cars in whatever color or option we want....but really how could there be? It's a brand new never produced car. I have added to my order multiple times but not because there wasn't sufficient information but more because I needed to decide what made the most sense for my personal build choice. As of today, I absolutely love my build. Believe it to be awesome, for me! And as I write this I am still able to amend if I wanted although I'm not interested.

Oh yeah, let's not forget about all the head turning when we drive by.........when the real enjoyment kicks in and we forget about all this frustration.

I wouldn't necessarily say I'm frustrated but I'll be a lot more comfortable when I know that my order will be accepted (I'm on the waitlist). The frustrating part though is the fact that my dealer seems like they know nothing about the waitlist or the status of anyone on it. I don't necessarily think it's their fault but someone is dropping the ball.

I'd feel better if I was one of the first 250 just to be sure I was going to get a car. I'll need to sell my current V while resale values are still high :)

Well I’m hopeful for you that your order hets in no problem. It is a shame dealers don’t know much.

Reading through many of the more recent threads and some of the earlier ones too I sense a growing frustration in the Blackwing process........so here's my take. What's yours?

First and foremost I am incredibly excited to get my car. PERIOD. Cadillac has made what is and will be one of the best ever vehicles in these classes. The real performance numbers won't arrive until the journalists get their hands on them in July - which is when I am expecting a flood of new ( positive ) information to arrive. We are in an elite group that have been fortunate enough to not reserve but order one of these cars, which someday will have incredible value ( my opinion anyway ) ( my dealer thinks I could sell mine at purchase time for 150K ) Either way, I will enjoy every single second sitting behind the wheel with my 668 horses pushing me forward. Let's not forget about the ability to row my own gears as I have chosen. The technology that these cars possess have never been experienced by myself so that will bring in a whole new dimension of "wow" when I get to drive. Creature comforts....say no more.

Has it been an easy process? Probably not just because the online brochure wasn't thorough enough nor are there real pictures of real cars in whatever color or option we want....but really how could there be? It's a brand new never produced car. I have added to my order multiple times but not because there wasn't sufficient information but more because I needed to decide what made the most sense for my personal build choice. As of today, I absolutely love my build. Believe it to be awesome, for me! And as I write this I am still able to amend if I wanted although I'm not interested.

Oh yeah, let's not forget about all the head turning when we drive by.........when the real enjoyment kicks in and we forget about all this frustration.
As of now the best news I read so far is that the blackwing production will be starting before the regular ct5 and ct4 production. Hopefully gm will continue that plan

I am not frustrated. Just really excited to get a manual transmission, magnetic ride, supercharged v8 in a luxury sedan. I love that the team at Cadillac is making it available while everyone else is moving on. It's my first Cadillac, and I plan on driving it for a long time.

I'm not suggesting the rollout has been perfect, but the positives far outweigh the negatives. And its not even close.

I am very excited for my manual transmission, V8, luxury car. Here is the problem, they didn’t design and build this car in a day and didn’t decide what options are going to be what in a day. Plenty of time to put something good together for the people who are excited about it. Also plenty of time to let dealers know they could be contacted by an eager person to submit an order, and this is what you should tell them. Further a preproduction, non running Ford Bronco, on a good platform gave tons of information out and am sure had more views/interest in it than the Blackwing has. It is time for GM to progress and get with the times of communication. People want information now and crappy two minute videos released once a month is not it. Show me a preproduction car testing on a full track lap from the windshield view and sound. Show me this hitting top speed, show me this doing 0-100-0. Show me a full interior picture of each color option. Show me anything than what is out there because in my opinion, people don’t want to see that. Unless we are all people with a flip phone and enjoy going to a dealers to get a print brochure.

rant over, and still excited!

I di
I am not frustrated. Just really excited to get a manual transmission, magnetic ride, supercharged v8 in a luxury sedan. I love that the team at Cadillac is making it available while everyone else is moving on. It's my first Cadillac, and I plan on driving it for a long time.

I'm not suggesting the rollout has been perfect, but the positives far outweigh the negatives. And its not even close.
I disagree, give me a few positives? Help me see it your way.

I am very excited for my manual transmission, V8, luxury car. Here is the problem, they didn’t design and build this car in a day and didn’t decide what options are going to be what in a day. Plenty of time to put something good together for the people who are excited about it. Also plenty of time to let dealers know they could be contacted by an eager person to submit an order, and this is what you should tell them. Further a preproduction, non running Ford Bronco, on a good platform gave tons of information out and am sure had more views/interest in it than the Blackwing has. It is time for GM to progress and get with the times of communication. People want information now and crappy two minute videos released once a month is not it. Show me a preproduction car testing on a full track lap from the windshield view and sound. Show me this hitting top speed, show me this doing 0-100-0. Show me a full interior picture of each color option. Show me anything than what is out there because in my opinion, people don’t want to see that. Unless we are all people with a flip phone and enjoy going to a dealers to get a print brochure.

rant over, and still excited!
In our need to know yesterday world you are correct. Much more detailed information could have and should have been shared. And likewise i cannot wait for the “real” performance videos. My best guess is they underrated and were not prepared for the thirst of information. But as you stated, rant over let’s just get the cars!!

In our need to know yesterday world you are correct. Much more detailed information could have and should have been shared. And likewise i cannot wait for the “real” performance videos. My best guess is they underrated and were not prepared for the thirst of information. But as you stated, rant over let’s just get the cars!!
I have been speaking to someone pretty high in cadillac about the magnesium wheels that where to be available for the ct5-v and ct4-v. I finally got a answer. This was her answer "The magnesium wheels will not be available for MY22, only beginning in MY23. Sorry about that. No new updates."

Jeff, do you find it strange that you still don't have an answer to your question on the V-Club forum??? I've ask a couple of question that she will not answer, so I guess I have pissed her off........
Thats funny you noticed. I’m guessing it’s because they don’t want to disclose something. In my question I’m wondering if there will be a blackwing logo somewhere. Or we pissed them off.

Being new to that forum I’m not really sure what to expect from my questions however they did for some reason shut off replies. And yes my question about the order status is fairly reasonable. I will add though this would have been easier for all of us had they done the reservation process in June and builds starting in July. We are all getting a bit testy from the anxiety of waiting.

Thats funny you noticed. I’m guessing it’s because they don’t want to disclose something. In my question I’m wondering if there will be a blackwing logo somewhere. Or we pissed them off.

You did also ask about order status too, right? Oh, I ask that question too, funny....Ok, so here is what I would have done, If I didn't know, or could not say I would at least acknowledge the question. Oh well, my wife says I'm an a-hole so I guess it is what it is...

You did also ask about order status too, right? Oh, I ask that question too, funny....Ok, so here is what I would have done, If I didn't know, or could not say I would at least acknowledge the question. Oh well, my wife says I'm an a-hole so I guess it is what it is...
All I can say is I own a 2021 limited edition honda civic type-r it was such a headache and long wait to get it. The few times I have driven it. It always put a smile on my face to feel the quickness and you forget about all the headache.

Jeff, do you find it strange that you still don't have an answer to your question on the V-Club forum??? I've ask a couple of question that she will not answer, so I guess I have pissed her off........
Is GM on all the forums trying to bandaid the situation?

I di

I disagree, give me a few positives? Help me see it your way.
I do not think we are really disagreeing on anything significant. More detailed or available marketing information would be a good thing to have. However, that lack of information is immaterial for me in the grand scheme of things. I trust Cadillac to deliver the goods, or I wouldn't have jumped on the preorder.

But, the Blackwing logo is going to flash at startup! 😂

It's still insane to me how half assed the information provided is. I truly believe this will be a great car but this has left a sour taste for sure.

Just my 2 cents, but perhaps some expectation management is in order. Three things come to mind:
-This is not a bespoke supercar from a performance-oriented builder who's product line generally demands a price premium just for the name, it's a minor trim line off a standard model from one of the world's largest car builders.
-It's still technically pre-production for MY2022, and development has been stymied by COVID.
-And finally, it's a very low production run siphoned off production of a brand that will sell more cars in a week than they'll sell of these specific models & trims in a year (and probably more of this model in every other trim monthly). Also, these cars are only getting some minor refresh changes- as I believe the platforms are both mid-cycle.

Since GM has a lot to protect, you don't typically see much in writing until it's pretty final; and having something like a Build & Price implies a certain level of obligation on the manufacturer to deliver things that meet those specs. I doubt that's been finalized yet for the new MY. Even on a good day, this takes time to ensure all those minor model year changes are final and the plant tooling is fairly confirmed- but COVID has surely extended this process. It wouldn't surprise me to learn that most manufacturers aren't 100% sure what many of their 2022 platforms are actually going to look like yet. And I'll bet they're not the only ones. As of today, with a couple exceptions, everyone from Ford to BMW only list Build & Price options for MY2021 vehicles.

COVID may not impact setting up configurators and websites, but I'd bet it's dragged the re-tooling planning process at the plant to a crawl, as well as the design and testing of this new variant of an existing model; both of which directly impact the specifics GM's lawyers and marketing teams are willing to approve for public consumption.

With respect to the whole tiny additional trim line thing there's the potential confusion for buyers of Cadillac's normal cars if you add 2022 info into their site- and GM may make way more margin on these cars, but the run of the mill Caddy sedans are what drive sales every day. That's what the company is focused on. Make no mistake-at a corporate level, GM doesn't really care about this car. This is a marketing exercise not dissimilar to the 'race on Sunday, sell on Monday' mentality of old.

All things considered, I'd say for a car they probably expect to sell <1,000 of, the amount of information is pretty amazing. Would more info be nice? Sure- but the e-brochure, with the ability to look at tons of details like what the interior mostly looks like, some images and at least a big picture understanding of the options several months before the car is even orderable? Better than average.

By comparison, the release last summer for the 2021 Bronco, where they're hoping to start giving customers who reserved a vehicle last summer a 'possible' future delivery date almost a year later has been an absolute shit show. And that's a vehicle that Ford hopes to sell close to 10K a month!

Last edited:

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Delaware Cadillac

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners