Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

Former/current BMW owners: your thoughts?

This is a great topic!
I had a 22 X3M with roughly 600hp/600tq with mods. I can purchase this back from the individual I sold it to in a few weeks, but I've been looking at CT4BW and have driven the G80M3C. I was not impressed with M3 since I didn't think it was a "driver's" car, and lack of space for my toddler's car seat. What's the size difference between the CT4 and M3? Would a car seat fit? I do like the idea of a RWD drivers car but then again, I live in the PNW and it's wet 8 months out of the year..

This is a great topic!
I had a 22 X3M with roughly 600hp/600tq with mods. I can purchase this back from the individual I sold it to in a few weeks, but I've been looking at CT4BW and have driven the G80M3C. I was not impressed with M3 since I didn't think it was a "driver's" car, and lack of space for my toddler's car seat. What's the size difference between the CT4 and M3? Would a car seat fit? I do like the idea of a RWD drivers car but then again, I live in the PNW and it's wet 8 months out of the year..
Unfortunately, I think you'll find the rear of the CT4 is even smaller. I'm currently waiting for a CT4 blackwing, and not only is the rear smaller than the G80, it's also slightly smaller than my current F80.

This is a great topic!
You don't need awd for the Pacific Northwest. A little slipping is fun.

Unfortunately, I think you'll find the rear of the CT4 is even smaller. I'm currently waiting for a CT4 blackwing, and not only is the rear smaller than the G80, it's also slightly smaller than my current F80.
Shoot! Okay, Maybe a slightly used CT5BW as OP then. Slip and Slide! Congrats on your CT4BW

I've had several BMWs over the years as well as CTS-V wagons. BMW's design choices of late haven't resonated with me and they have largely abandoned the manual transmission in everything but the M2, M3 and M4. I personally like the driving dynamics of the 5BW and 4BW more than anything BMW offers and I think both Blackwings look nicer than current comparable BMW models.

My must haves were 4 doors, a comfortable car for long rides that is not abusive on poor roads, driver engagement, a manual transmission, a usable trunk (though would have preferred a new wagon), 3 pedals, and a spacious second row for the kiddo/car seat. Also on the list but less important component of the visceral experience of an enthusiast car is having an exhaust growth that doesn't sound like a can of farts. The 5BW best fit that wish list and I don't regret dumping my BMW to get it. That said, for pure family hauling duty we still have an X5 in the household, which I think is the best SUV on the market. I don't think GM has a decent competitor to that which I think is a major shortcoming for a company that has become so committed to trucks and SUVs.

There was another thread a while ago asking about German vs Blackwing, I'm to lazy to dig it up so I'll make a short version of what I mentioned there.

I owned a '22 M3 Competition, very good car but was auto. Manual vs manual (M4 vs 5BW) the Blackwing is the winner in every single metric except interior materials. Cadillac will probably never beat the Germans at this game, actually my 3LT C8 had better overall interior materials then my Blackwing does and it cost less.

If you can get over not having a full grain leather dash and armrests you will love the CT5-V Blackwing. The manual in this car is probably one of the best out there, not to mention that despite it being larger then an M3 it basically weighed just as much as my M3.

Throw the rear seats down to get more of the V8 exhaust growl into the cabin and you will be a happy owner.

I don't regret getting rid of my M3 Competition and especially wouldn't regret it if it had a BMW manual. Seriously if you test drive a Blackwing, as soon as you make that first 1-2 shift you will be sold especially if you weren't done in already by the cold start with the exhaust in track mode.
That may have been me, I'm coming from a C63S and had some hesitation getting rid of it to move to the 5BW. My car hasn't arrived yet, but as of today I don't miss the AMG at all.

There was another thread a while ago asking about German vs Blackwing, I'm to lazy to dig it up so I'll make a short version of what I mentioned there.

I owned a '22 M3 Competition, very good car but was auto. Manual vs manual (M4 vs 5BW) the Blackwing is the winner in every single metric except interior materials. Cadillac will probably never beat the Germans at this game, actually my 3LT C8 had better overall interior materials then my Blackwing does and it cost less.

If you can get over not having a full grain leather dash and armrests you will love the CT5-V Blackwing. The manual in this car is probably one of the best out there, not to mention that despite it being larger then an M3 it basically weighed just as much as my M3.

Throw the rear seats down to get more of the V8 exhaust growl into the cabin and you will be a happy owner.

I don't regret getting rid of my M3 Competition and especially wouldn't regret it if it had a BMW manual. Seriously if you test drive a Blackwing, as soon as you make that first 1-2 shift you will be sold especially if you weren't done in already by the cold start with the exhaust in track mode.
Yeah..the cold start it's intoxicating!

Yeah..the cold start it's intoxicating!
Can you change modes before you turn the car on or does it have to be in track mode from the last time you turned off the car? In my C63 you could hold down a paddle shifter as you turned on the car and it would open up the exhaust for a louder start, and I did enjoy that.

just use MyMode and set exhaust to max. I've had it that way since I got the car, it's not that loud.

Nice! Will you lobby @Rob to edit your screen name? :cool:

I still like BMW, that doesn't change. I've had a love/hate relationship with them for a long time, and one doesn't just walk away from that kind of relationship, regardless of how dysfunctional it may be. ;)

The wife still has two of them, an M240ix and a new X5 4.0. The latter has really pissed her off, as there is a CEL that they can't fix and a clunk in the suspension that they won't fix. I'm going to escalate the issues with the service manager whenever I get around to it. She's not driving the car any more.

Oh, and they "updated" the iDrive to version 8.5 (which is now Linux-based for you geeks out there) and no one can explain to me how it works. "We haven't been trained yet," they tell me. :hb If you think the new extra-wide iDrive screen is hideous, wait until you see the new UI. OMG. In the future when I want to complain about Cue, you can just reply "at least it's not iDrive 8.5".

I work in I/T. I know a little bit about how to design a UI.

(sorry: for non-techies, "UI" means User Interface, how the screens work in your web page or phone app)

Can you change modes before you turn the car on or does it have to be in track mode from the last time you turned off the car? In my C63 you could hold down a paddle shifter as you turned on the car and it would open up the exhaust for a louder start, and I did enjoy that.
If you put it into accessory mode you can change modes before starting

I still like BMW, that doesn't change. I've had a love/hate relationship with them for a long time, and one doesn't just walk away from that kind of relationship, regardless of how dysfunctional it may be. ;)

The wife still has two of them, an M240ix and a new X5 4.0. The latter has really pissed her off, as there is a CEL that they can't fix and a clunk in the suspension that they won't fix. I'm going to escalate the issues with the service manager whenever I get around to it. She's not driving the car any more.

Oh, and they "updated" the iDrive to version 8.5 (which is now Linux-based for you geeks out there) and no one can explain to me how it works. "We haven't been trained yet," they tell me. :hb If you think the new extra-wide iDrive screen is hideous, wait until you see the new UI. OMG. In the future when I want to complain about Cue, you can just reply "at least it's not iDrive 8.5".

(sorry: for non-techies, "UI" means User Interface, how the screens work in your web page or phone app)
I especially ordered one of the last 2023 Plug-in X5s because I didn't want ID8+

I got it in my last M3 (2023) and hated it, plenty of things that worked flawlessly before(id7) were now either missing or much more complicated to use. A prime example of regress..

Traded in my loaded 2023 BMW M550i for my 23 CT4-V Blackwing. The M550i was excellent and had every bell and whistle you can think of, but it was missing something…I’ve always been more into the V-Series product and I just needed one again.

Really really enjoying my Blackwing so far.

IMG_2326.jpeg

Traded in my loaded 2023 BMW M550i for my 23 CT4-V Blackwing. The M550i was excellent and had every bell and whistle you can think of, but it was missing something…I’ve always been more into the V-Series product and I just needed one again.

Really really enjoying my Blackwing so far.

View attachment 21078
I did the same thing, but my M550 was 2020. I had an ATS-V and I missed the handling and steering. My 550 was also white, but it had a tan interior. I do miss the interior of the BMW, but that is it. I certainly won't miss the high repair bills or maintenance bills.

So what's the news? Did you pick up your car? First impressions?

So what's the news? Did you pick up your car? First impressions?
Ah, sorry, I updated a thread with a report, but it must not have been this one, and it's easier to type it again than trying to find it...

The car I was after was used, 900~ish miles, black/black. I specifically asked the sales person to check the car, to go sit in it, and make sure that there were no odors. I don't want a smoker's car, and so many dealers "prep' their cars by deodorizing them with that nasty stuff that covers up the odors and never ever goes away. She said it was fine.

It was not. It stunk. So I walked away.

If I can't find a local used one (I drove 7 hours round trip to see that one) I'm just going to get a new one. But that search is also proving to be difficult, as I refuse to pay inflated prices over MSRP.

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Delaware Cadillac

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners

Back