Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

CT4-V For those with Tapout Tuning Dive Planes...

Cadillac CT4-V model

BWDudeBro

Seasoned Member
V-Series Cadillac(s)?
'23 CT4VBW
How'd the install go? Any fitment issues?

I didn't mind removing the bumper as I was replacing corner lights, badge, and adding their CF Splitter as well. However, I currently can't remount the bumper as the dive planes simply do not fit. Description and pics below. Tapout seem like awesome people but for the price I was really hoping these would mount up securely. I've sent them a note with pics but wanted to check if anyone else experienced this first.

Pic 1: broken tabs, Pic 2 and 3, not enough length.

Driver's side: One tab broke clean off, and i'm not kidding here, because of the incredibly slight sideways pressure exerted on it from picking it up off the carpet. As in, zero real pressure. I know how that sounds but you'll just have to trust me. "Ok," I think to myself, "let's see if it'll mount securely with 4 out of 5 tabs." A second tab broke by simply trying to fit the part to the bumper. Again, you'll have to believe me that I wasn't gorilla-arming this stuff. I've saved for this car for a long time, I'm trying very hard to keep it un-janky. A third tab cracked in two places but didn't totally break while trying to align everything. Even if I had gotten the tabs through with no breakage, they simply aren't long enough to accept a clip on the other side.

Passenger side: Luckily no broken tabs, but same issue as other one - tabs just aren't long enough to accept a clip on the other side.
The amount of material removed from each tab by Dremel seems to tell the whole story - they simply have to fit very well in a bunch of different dimensions: Thickness, vertical and horizontal positioning, and length. It looks like the mold didn't allow for this so removing tab thickness and width was the compromise to try and get them to slot in.

As an aside, these pieces were the key to a few decisions - when I had to get my non-CF bumper replaced, I intentionaly spec'd the CF bumper to accept these... so I drove around with the mounting holes in my bumper for a few months til these got ordered and mounted. Looking back, I wouldn't have done that and happily ran the non-CF bumper and probably just added the splitter and deflectors. (The CF Splitter seems to mount up OK and should be fine upon reinstall of bumper.)

PXL_20231223_000847395.jpgPXL_20231223_000821305.jpgPXL_20231222_224408183.jpg

How'd the install go? Any fitment issues?

I didn't mind removing the bumper as I was replacing corner lights, badge, and adding their CF Splitter as well. However, I currently can't remount the bumper as the dive planes simply do not fit. Description and pics below. Tapout seem like awesome people but for the price I was really hoping these would mount up securely. I've sent them a note with pics but wanted to check if anyone else experienced this first.

Pic 1: broken tabs, Pic 2 and 3, not enough length.

Driver's side: One tab broke clean off, and i'm not kidding here, because of the incredibly slight sideways pressure exerted on it from picking it up off the carpet. As in, zero real pressure. I know how that sounds but you'll just have to trust me. "Ok," I think to myself, "let's see if it'll mount securely with 4 out of 5 tabs." A second tab broke by simply trying to fit the part to the bumper. Again, you'll have to believe me that I wasn't gorilla-arming this stuff. I've saved for this car for a long time, I'm trying very hard to keep it un-janky. A third tab cracked in two places but didn't totally break while trying to align everything. Even if I had gotten the tabs through with no breakage, they simply aren't long enough to accept a clip on the other side.

Passenger side: Luckily no broken tabs, but same issue as other one - tabs just aren't long enough to accept a clip on the other side.
The amount of material removed from each tab by Dremel seems to tell the whole story - they simply have to fit very well in a bunch of different dimensions: Thickness, vertical and horizontal positioning, and length. It looks like the mold didn't allow for this so removing tab thickness and width was the compromise to try and get them to slot in.

As an aside, these pieces were the key to a few decisions - when I had to get my non-CF bumper replaced, I intentionaly spec'd the CF bumper to accept these... so I drove around with the mounting holes in my bumper for a few months til these got ordered and mounted. Looking back, I wouldn't have done that and happily ran the non-CF bumper and probably just added the splitter and deflectors. (The CF Splitter seems to mount up OK and should be fine upon reinstall of bumper.)

View attachment 23272View attachment 23271View attachment 23270
Watching.

Sorry to hear about your issues.

At the time I ordered my 4MT the CF packages were adding 6 months to 1yr on to the build time and even so there was no guarantee. Plus the cost was insane. Instead, I ordered mine without CF1, and ordered all of the parts from Tapout. I'm waiting on a new trunk lid(long story) that should arrive in early January, and after that will have the splitter, dive planes and spoiler installed.

Based on your experience, I may have gotten lucky having the non-CF bumper.

Tapout has been excellent in my experience, and my guess is that they will work with you. If this goes well, I'll be ordering the CF2 parts.

Thanks for the reply and I think your experience was common... most of us wanted CF1 and 2 cars but they just weren't around in great enough numbers so here we are!

You're right - if you do what Dirkbg did and mod your own non-CF bumper to accept the Tapout parts you might have more flexibility to get them to work. Although I think he may have used OEM diveplanes.

And to be clear, yes - Tapout was easy to work with and I'm guessing they'll make this right with no problems but the timing is tough because they car is down for the count until they can (hopefully) get me new ones. Unless of course i want to remount and unmount the bumper again which i do not.

I'm off all next week and was really hoping to use that time to get the car CF'd and re-badged ahead of PPF, but oh well :(

Yeah man-I hear that. I'm in the same boat in terms of timing. I've resigned to just waiting until everything lines up and falls into place. Could still be some months but perfection takes time, right?

Yeah man-I hear that. I'm in the same boat in terms of timing. I've resigned to just waiting until everything lines up and falls into place. Could still be some months but perfection takes time, right?
I guess so... i need some of your patience apparently, ha.

I was without my car for 2 months this summer so I'm eager to start dialing it in, I guess.

We received your email and are sorry about the problems. Of course we will get everything taken care of for you, but it be toward the end of the week. Unfortunately, it's a long holiday weekend, and everyone is out of the office for the next several days.

Is there actual data they proves the CF1's effect on the aero of the 4BW or we only have GM's marketing material ?

I originally bought the Tapout dive planes, but when I got the factory slotted bumper I found the dive plane tabs were too thick for the slots, and even if they would fit they would leave a gap between the part and the bumper. I returned them instead of forcing it or trimming the dive plane tabs. I discussed the issue with tapout when I returned them, and they thought the initial versions had too thick of a clear coat causing the problem. I ultimately used all OEM for the nose and the factory dive planes fit like a glove. I've seen other cars with the Tapout dive planes that looked fine, including the flake design. I suggest not forcing it if it doesn't fit initially.

We received your email and are sorry about the problems. Of course we will get everything taken care of for you, but it be toward the end of the week. Unfortunately, it's a long holiday weekend, and everyone is out of the office for the next several days.

Thanks y'all, appreciate the acknowledgement of receipt and the reassurance. Definitely understand the time off - it's been a long year. Hope everyone gets some good unplugged time.

I originally bought the Tapout dive planes, but when I got the factory slotted bumper I found the dive plane tabs were too thick for the slots, and even if they would fit they would leave a gap between the part and the bumper. I returned them instead of forcing it or trimming the dive plane tabs. I discussed the issue with tapout when I returned them, and they thought the initial versions had too thick of a clear coat causing the problem. I ultimately used all OEM for the nose and the factory dive planes fit like a glove. I've seen other cars with the Tapout dive planes that looked fine, including the flake design. I suggest not forcing it if it doesn't fit initially.

Thanks - seems as though you're the pioneer on so much of these mods, ha.

It sounds like our sets were opposite - yours too thick, mine too thin. Maybe Tapout can hook me up with the Goldilocks version.

I installed Tapout dive planes and splitter. Used the supports from new bumper cover and cut holes in the factory cover. the dive plane did require slight modifications but fit great.

Attachments

• IMG_0665.jpeg
    IMG_0665.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 84
I installed Tapout dive planes and splitter. Used the supports from new bumper cover and cut holes in the factory cover. the dive plane did require slight modifications but fit great.

What modification did yours require for fitment?

it required increasing the size of hole where the retaining clip goes. Some needed it and some didn’t. I used a small grinding attachment on a cordless Dremel and a file to square the inside edges. It should take a little effort to install the retaining clips.

I forgot that I also used the new bumper cover for a test fit and found some of the slots were slightly small. So when I cut the original bumper I made the slots slightly larger . The right side was very easy to install the driver side to took a little more effort. On the driver side my rear support I did not bond to the bumper. That allows some movement during installation of the clips

it required increasing the size of hole where the retaining clip goes. Some needed it and some didn’t. I used a small grinding attachment on a cordless Dremel and a file to square the inside edges. It should take a little effort to install the retaining clips.
Yep, makes sense and unfortunately this is what I couldn't do because multiple clips were so thin and brittle.

I forgot that I also used the new bumper cover for a test fit and found some of the slots were slightly small. So when I cut the original bumper I made the slots slightly larger . The right side was very easy to install the driver side to took a little more effort. On the driver side my rear support I did not bond to the bumper. That allows some movement during installation of the clips

I know the plastic welds are pretty weak on these... that's a good idea. Could see about unbonding them to allow for some wiggle room.

I'd be cautious about not reattaching the inner support. The support fixes the dive plane, and if it's not attached the dive plane can shift position. I don't think the dive plane shifting is a good thing. I was surprised how much movement there was when I was test fitting, and shifting during driving due to air resistance may mar the paint as it moves. I used the epoxy to reattach the support, but used the dive plane and the clips to hold it in position while the epoxy cured. I wouldn't epoxy, then attach the dive plane because you may find fitment problems after it's too late.

I'd be cautious about not reattaching the inner support. The support fixes the dive plane, and if it's not attached the dive plane can shift position. I don't think the dive plane shifting is a good thing. I was surprised how much movement there was when I was test fitting, and shifting during driving due to air resistance may mar the paint as it moves. I used the epoxy to reattach the support, but used the dive plane and the clips to hold it in position while the epoxy cured. I wouldn't epoxy, then attach the dive plane because you may find fitment problems after it's too late.

Dirkbg. The support has very little room to move because of the shape and location inside the bumper cover and the top support is bonded to bumper. By the way your info and photos were a great help in the installation of my dive wings.

Yeah, fair points. Maybe it makes sense to unattach the supports, fit dive planes, and re-expoxy then.

Either way I hope this is a moot point, as Tapout is sending me some replacements which will hopefully arrive in time to get this done over the weekend. I'll definitely be updating this thread with how the new ones mount up.

What did the factory dive planes cost? I'm having fitment issues with the tapout ones. I might be able to grind on them and make them work, but if I can't, or I break something in the process then there's a $1000 down the drain.

I had the same concern. When I bought mine, they were $590 for one, $620 for the other. I Googled the $590 part number and it looks like the prices range from $625 to $675. Look through the list on a Google part number search and check shipping too. The part numbers are 84996873 and 84996874. My shipping from GMpartswarehouse was $88, so not bad. The OEM wheel deflectors I ordered to match the OEM carbon are insane, $577 each. Now they are around $650 each. Here's the list:
GM Parts

Part Number Part Name Price Quantity
84667808 Air Deflector $7.46 1
84667807 Air Deflector $5.96 1
85563054 F Fascia $729.98 1
84996873 F Deflector $590.16 1
84996874 F Deflector $619.67 1
84586281 F Deflector $577.47 1
84586282 F Deflector $577.47 1
85153560 F Fascia $301.20 1
Core Exchange $75.00

Quick update... The replacement set of diveplanes TT sent were better. Knowing what I know now and having seen two sets, it really seems like the first set might have been returned from someone who encountered the same problem I did and tried to dremel their way out of it.

Regardless, i was able to get the passenger side mounted up and 3 out 5 of the clips installed. Between some 3M tape and a zip tie or two, I can live with this.

The alignment of the tabs on the driver side piece, however, seemed to be way more varied and this caused an issue where the top/outermost tab was put into a bind right away. When I went to insert the final tab far enough to try and get a clip in, it broke.

To be clear, Tapout continues to be totally great about all this so while it's taking a while to get right, I'm happy to help them sort out whatever's happening by being patient.

I'll update this thread when the replacement driver side piece shows up and hopefully goes in smoothly.

Side note - for those that have installed these OR OEM, did you do so without removing the bumper? I don't see a way to do this but Tapout wondered if this could help with fitment, and i do too.

Last edited:

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Delaware Cadillac

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners