Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

EV Thoughts Thread: cause the old farts did their usual thing

Saw a Cyber Truck in the wild yesterday (I-80 west between the Bay Area and Sacramento). I was able to pace it for a minute or two and its an odd looking vehicle for sure. I generally get the early adopter crowd being interested in new stuff, but we've been hearing about this thing for so long it doesn't really feel new and exiting.
View attachment 23725View attachment 23726
It reminds me of our stealth military planes and I wonder if this might be harder to see especially in that color. Thus, there may be more accidents with this vehicle than the norm.

Saw a Cyber Truck in the wild yesterday (I-80 west between the Bay Area and Sacramento). I was able to pace it for a minute or two and its an odd looking vehicle for sure. I generally get the early adopter crowd being interested in new stuff, but we've been hearing about this thing for so long it doesn't really feel new and exiting.
View attachment 23725View attachment 23726
Most likely the same one that I saw on the 5 North when I was on the 5 South returning from Sacramento 2 weeks ago.

Here’s a tip for EV cold weather drivers, don’t use the heater. You can’t make this stuff up.

“Once the car is warm and you start driving, use seat warmers, a heated steering wheel and turn down the car heater. These features use less energy and provide targeted heat, saving battery life.”

Chicago-area Tesla charging stations lined with dead cars in freezing cold: 'A bunch of dead robots out here'​

LOL. My sister was part of that group. Her 25 mile drive home turned into hours. Left the office with a 100 mile range. Before she exited the neighborhood it was down to 80. She managed to make it to a charger that she had to wait some time for. The exciting part came when the charge station next to hers had one car exit and another come in taking someone else's turn that had been waiting. She left before the fists started flying. I'm just glad we still have gas stations on every other corner like a CVS or Walgreens.

Lack of common sense here, don’t run down the battery during the winter, you wouldn’t do that if you had a gas powered vehicle. They should be going home to charge not run it down to the wire to get to a supercharger. I think the average consumer wants to be on the cutting edge of technology but they’re too lazy to learn how it all works.

Last edited:
Funny that local Chicago affiliate is ABC which is owned by Disney. Bob Iger and Elon don't exactly get along.

It's a hit piece. Any person who waits until their battery is at 5% or less to go find charging in sub zero temps deserves exactly what they get. Anyone with a brain doesn't have issues with EV's in cold weather.

Funny that local Chicago affiliate is ABC which is owned by Disney. Bob Iger and Elon don't exactly get along.

It's a hit piece. Any person who waits until their battery is at 5% or less to go find charging in sub zero temps deserves exactly what they get. Anyone with a brain doesn't have issues with EV's in cold weather.
And I might add EV owners also deserve broken chargers that can hold up in the cold. And with a Tesla they deserve a charger plug door that won't open in the cold. Dumb people!

And I might add EV owners also deserve broken chargers that can hold up in the cold. And with a Tesla they deserve a charger plug door that won't open in the cold. Dumb people!
100% correct. The app tells you the availability of nearby chargers real-time and the charger plug door frozen can be cleared with a cup of lukewarm water. Again, dumb people who can't solve their way out of a wet paper bag.

100% correct. The app tells you the availability of nearby chargers real-time and the charger plug door frozen can be cleared with a cup of lukewarm water. Again, dumb people who can't solve their way out of a wet paper bag.
Yes, what EV owner doesn't know to carry a Thermos of hot water with them wherever they go. Most EVs come with a Thermos in the trunk.

Yes, what EV owner doesn't know to carry a Thermos of hot water with them wherever they go. Most EVs come with a Thermos in the trunk.
You can piss on the charger door too. Again, inability to improvise means they shouldn't be driving. Stay off the road.

You can piss on the charger door too. Again, inability to improvise means they shouldn't be driving. Stay off the road.
The cold weather these cars were struggling in, your piss would freeze before it was touching paint. Besides, pulling it out in that cold would scare me too much. I've had frost bite before.

The cold weather these cars were struggling in, your piss would freeze before it was touching paint. Besides, pulling it out in that cold would scare me too much. I've had frost bite before.
Yea, that’s a tough one to explain at the hospital. “You see doc, my car ran out of juice and I had to piss on it to get it going. Hence my popsicle issue.”

Last edited:
Wife's '23 Model Y LR has been awesome so far. 11k miles with zero issues (besides a error code glitch at the beginning the service center resolved in 20 minutes). Charge at home a few times a week and just drive it. It's a great complement for our family to haul our kids around and just run in-town errands. We've taken on a few road trips too and as long as you budget a little extra time to charge at the fast chargers, it was fairly painless.

I'm not giving up my ICE vehicle too, but to add an electric vehicle or two to a family fleet is not such a bad thing IMHO.

Man, if I bought that GR Corolla I ordered we would have many of the same cars.

Ironically the reason why I didn't buy the GR was because I got the Model Y LR as a winter car while waiting for the GR to come in. The Model Y LR just fit my life better than the Corolla, which was just too small to do what I needed.

I totally agree that the Model Y is great. Super practical. Surprising fun to drive.

As an EV owner, most of the negative news you hear about is blown way out of proportion.

I have owned a Tesla Model 3 for the past 4.5 years and have no complaints. That said, we live in an ideal climate for EVs, home has a garage with a wall charger and it is not our only vehicle. We put around 55,000 miles on it so far and it has never seen a Supercharger. We simply plug it in at night and leave with a full charge. Unless you are going on a road trip I am not sure why you would ever use a Supercharger. If you are driving more than 250 miles per day then you probably don't want an EV. EV range on the highway blows, these things are best in the city stop and go where they can take advantage of regen braking. The reality is most people drive 50 miles or less per day so if your driving mainly consists of commuting to work and getting groceries then an EV is very easy to live with if you own a home with a garage to charge in. If you live an apartment, condo, etc. and have to use public chargers all the time then I would not buy an EV yet.

From a technology and driving perspective I really like my Model 3. The Standard Range model has a single motor over the rear axle, which lightens up the front and gives it a mid-engine balance and feel. It also weighs about 200lbs less than the 4BW. The EV torque curve is ridiculous. My standard Model 3 will give me more shove in the seat than my 4BW and does so with no effort or drama. It drives a lot better than people think. That is besides the point, where it really shines is in the typical traffic filled daily driving. One pedal driving, auto steering, excellent navigation and infotainment system with voice commands, super low maintenance, etc. In 4.5 years I have only put a set of tires and added washer fluid. Costs about $5 to fully charge it at home vs. $40-$50 in gas per tank.

I agree with others here that these EVs should not be forced, but rather let the free market decide the rate of adoption.

Man, if I bought that GR Corolla I ordered we would have many of the same cars.

Ironically the reason why I didn't buy the GR was because I got the Model Y LR as a winter car while waiting for the GR to come in. The Model Y LR just fit my life better than the Corolla, which was just too small to do what I needed.

I totally agree that the Model Y is great. Super practical. Surprising fun to drive.
I wonder what the steering feel is like?

All this is just a clear example of how we are not ready for mass EV adoption (especially at the mandate of the gov't). Let the free market decide adoption (which I think has now already begun).
I can agree, but can you imagine what it was like during the horse and buggy to automobile transition?

“The car practically drives itself. The future is now”. Can you blame the consumer who knows nothing about how things work. Eventually things will get to a point where EVs can do what they say they can do. Until then, no one should be buying one if they have no place to charge at home.
Mel Brooks Morons GIF

This is worth reading or listening to the audio book. It is a good explanation of the big picture.

The Moral Case for Fossil Fuels Amazon.com

As an EV owner, most of the negative news you hear about is blown way out of proportion.

I have owned a Tesla Model 3 for the past 4.5 years and have no complaints. That said, we live in an ideal climate for EVs, home has a garage with a wall charger and it is not our only vehicle. We put around 55,000 miles on it so far and it has never seen a Supercharger. We simply plug it in at night and leave with a full charge. Unless you are going on a road trip I am not sure why you would ever use a Supercharger. If you are driving more than 250 miles per day then you probably don't want an EV. EV range on the highway blows, these things are best in the city stop and go where they can take advantage of regen braking. The reality is most people drive 50 miles or less per day so if your driving mainly consists of commuting to work and getting groceries then an EV is very easy to live with if you own a home with a garage to charge in. If you live an apartment, condo, etc. and have to use public chargers all the time then I would not buy an EV yet.

From a technology and driving perspective I really like my Model 3. The Standard Range model has a single motor over the rear axle, which lightens up the front and gives it a mid-engine balance and feel. It also weighs about 200lbs less than the 4BW. The EV torque curve is ridiculous. My standard Model 3 will give me more shove in the seat than my 4BW and does so with no effort or drama. It drives a lot better than people think. That is besides the point, where it really shines is in the typical traffic filled daily driving. One pedal driving, auto steering, excellent navigation and infotainment system with voice commands, super low maintenance, etc. In 4.5 years I have only put a set of tires and added washer fluid. Costs about $5 to fully charge it at home vs. $40-$50 in gas per tank.

I agree with others here that these EVs should not be forced, but rather let the free market decide the rate of adoption.
EVs are not a driver's car, but they do have a place. I am all for the freedom to choose.

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Delaware Cadillac

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners

Back