Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

EV Thoughts Thread: cause the old farts did their usual thing

My 2 cents.. electric motors are 80%+ efficient at converting stored energy into motion. ICE is 40%, at best.
Because of this, the future is electric. The other challenges will be fixed with time and money, just like early ICE problems were.

Until then, I'll enjoy my manual transmission and the roar of dino juice being exploded.

Where do you find these folks Starbucks ?
The Tesla reminds me of Elon no matter how quick or how rich, they’re both awkward and dorky as fuck. IF that thing ran 12s NOBODY would give half a shit about it.
Not sure what you pic attachments are trying to say and everyone has their opinion on what they like/dislike. Me, I like the 2 GM cars pictured. The Alfa not so much and that purple thing is hideous.

All good points above. But the remaining differentiator is not just styling - I want to drive from San Diego to Arizona, or to the Bay Area, or wherever, and not have to worry about how and where I'm going to charge up, not to mention how long that will take. I guess the media likes to call this "range anxiety" but to me it is just the practicality of having one car that can do all of those things and be a great performer at the same time. I agree that BEVs are probably great for 95% of driving use cases but not all use cases.
Agreed. When we bought our Tesla we always figured it would handle all the daily driving duty and any time we planned to take a road trip we would use the ICE based vehicle or better yet, rent a car so we don't rack up the miles and wear and tear. It seems to work well for us. We have never even used a public supercharger, we just plug in at home every 2-3 days. If I couldn't charge at home I would not even entertain a BEV.

Technically a hybrid is the best of both worlds from a practicality perspective but they are also more complicated and not much fun to drive.

I love a subjective rage arguments! Since we're in an EV thread, which electrons are best? I only supercharge because I think OEM electrons are the best for my Tesla.

Plenty of folks gave a shit about Tesla well before it did 0-60 in 2 seconds. In fact 1.3 million buyers gave a shit about them in 2022.

Vanilla Ice Abc GIF by Dancing with the Stars

Contrary to the video I read an article a few days ago that stated it does not have an exoskeleton. They call it that, but it's a misrepresentation, the body offers no structural support to the vehicle. Years ago when intended for that to happen they later realized the weight would have been too much.

Contrary to the video I read an article a few days ago that stated it does not have an exoskeleton. They call it that, but it's a misrepresentation, the body offers no structural support to the vehicle. Years ago when intended for that to happen they later realized the weight would have been too much.

I don't think thats accurate as Tesla says the panels add considerable rigidity to the structure and allows the unibody to be much lighter. The sail panel alone adds 25% more rigidity.

Most of the claims that there was no added rigidity come from people making guesses off photos with no actual access to the cybertruck itself. Claims of the panels being structual come from Tesla. As no one except Tesla and like 10 people have actual access to the Cybertruck, that's all we have to go on.

Go to the 9:00 mark. The exoskeleton idea that Telsa originally proposed back in 2019 is not actually what is being built today. I’m not debating what percentage of the body provides rigidity (although it would be small), rather the terminology of exoskeleton has been stretched. They can call it that and they do in a 2021 patent, but it doesn’t hold true to the actual definition.

Go to the 9:00 mark. The exoskeleton idea that Telsa originally proposed back in 2019 is not actually what is being built today. I’m not debating what percentage of the body provides rigidity (although it would be small), rather the terminology of exoskeleton has been stretched. They can call it that and they do in a 2021 patent, but it doesn’t hold true to the actual definition.

Uhh you described exactly the situation I referenced, just bunch of internet randos making guesses based off a picture, with zero access to the actual truck making arguments against Tesla engineers who actually engineered and built the truck.

Here is a video where the engineers talk about the exoskeleton providing significant stiffness to the structure.

If the outside skin provides a significant of structural ridigity, then by definition it is an exoskeleton. People probably had the false and idiotic notion that the inside of the truck would have no unibody. That would no make sense, since there would be no places to mount the suspension, drive components, and interior. It wouldn't have made sense to have an exoskeleton like a clam, hard shell and mush inside, clams don't move. Cybertruck is more like a exoskeleton like a crab, shell on the outside, but also structure on the inside too for attachments for locomotion. People also had the false notion that it should all be one continous structure, which also makes no sense. That is the definition of a monocoque, not an exoskeleton. Exoskeletons in nature in moving animals are piece meal, like on a crab or insect.

My point is that they departed from the original design vision. I already said that Telsa calls it an exoskeleton. If they called it a French fry then it would be a French fry. I will admit is does look like a crab, and I like crabs, count me in, I can't wait to get 100 miles range when towing.

As usual, I enjoyed Jason's review. Love it or hate it, I respect the innovation. It is clearly the best EV truck.

Uhh you described exactly the situation I referenced, just bunch of internet randos making guesses based off a picture, with zero access to the actual truck making arguments against Tesla engineers who actually engineered and built the truck.

Here is a video where the engineers talk about the exoskeleton providing significant stiffness to the structure.

If the outside skin provides a significant of structural ridigity, then by definition it is an exoskeleton. People probably had the false and idiotic notion that the inside of the truck would have no unibody. That would no make sense, since there would be no places to mount the suspension, drive components, and interior. It wouldn't have made sense to have an exoskeleton like a clam, hard shell and mush inside, clams don't move. Cybertruck is more like a exoskeleton like a crab, shell on the outside, but also structure on the inside too for attachments for locomotion. People also had the false notion that it should all be one continous structure, which also makes no sense. That is the definition of a monocoque, not an exoskeleton. Exoskeletons in nature in moving animals are piece meal, like on a crab or insect.
The Tesla truck is so ugly I think someone bought an ugly stick and kept beating on it.

As usual, I enjoyed Jason's review. Love it or hate it, I respect the innovation. It is clearly the best EV truck.
Ugly as hell but theres some amazing engineering under that hideous shape.
And impressing Jason - who btw is a huge fan of the CT5 BW - is pretty impressive.

LOL ... TBF those Hagerty Icons videos aren't described as an actual 'review'. Anything about the CT is a clicks/engagement machine, and I suspect Hagerty have to play nice (esp. when you factor in the legions of online trolls and Tesla's legal department). In those sorts of videos, any cons would probably be glossed over. I got that there was a ton of respect for the engineering innovation and achievement, but other than being able to out-drag any other truck I didn't come away with a burning desire to own one.

Last edited:
I’m gonna be honest I’m strongly considering trading in my 5BW for a cybertruck. I could care less about the hype, I just actually like the looks and miss the space and utility of a truck/SUV which I haven’t had since my 4Runner in 2006. The fact that it would be faster and AWD are bonuses. I don’t know if I can deal with the heartache of giving up my manual though :cry:. And I’m semi worried about big price drops in following years which appears to be a Tesla thing

I know I'm old and set in my ways but I am completely dumbfounded by this conversation!!! I honestly don't understand how this vehicle could actually be a consideration for anyone!! I just don't get it!!!

I know I'm old and set in my ways but I am completely dumbfounded by this conversation!!! I honestly don't understand how this vehicle could actually be a consideration for anyone!! I just don't get it!!!
unique real housewives GIF

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Delaware Cadillac

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners