Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

EV Thoughts Thread: cause the old farts did their usual thing

I’m gonna be honest I’m strongly considering trading in my 5BW for a cybertruck. I could care less about the hype, I just actually like the looks and miss the space and utility of a truck/SUV which I haven’t had since my 4Runner in 2006. The fact that it would be faster and AWD are bonuses. I don’t know if I can deal with the heartache of giving up my manual though :cry:. And I’m semi worried about big price drops in following years which appears to be a Tesla thing
It is unique for sure. I own a Model 3 and it really is a great car if you are cool with all the aspects of owning an EV. That said, if you like to row your own gears and listen to the exhaust note, you will miss it after the Cybertruck honeymoon wears off. I am on the list to get a Cybertruck as well but with the new pricing they showed I may pass. The Tri-motor is $100k, AWD model is up to $80k now and the RWD for $62k won't be out for a while. I would rather just get the new Tacoma at that point and save a bunch of money and have better resale.

I’m gonna be honest I’m strongly considering trading in my 5BW for a cybertruck. I could care less about the hype, I just actually like the looks and miss the space and utility of a truck/SUV which I haven’t had since my 4Runner in 2006. The fact that it would be faster and AWD are bonuses. I don’t know if I can deal with the heartache of giving up my manual though :cry:. And I’m semi worried about big price drops in following years which appears to be a Tesla thing
I have a Jeep and an 8’x4’ trailer. That does what I need for picking up things around town. And it has a 6M. Now if I had a large trailer, boat, or car hauler I would need a truck. Then it would be a Chevy 2500HD 4WD.

If you loved your 4Runner so much, you could literally buy 2 of them for the price you’d pay in Taxes for a Cybertruck and the amount of money you’ll lose when trying to sell your blackwing.

Then there’s depreciation on a Tesla…

If I had one of those crazy things I would paint it, maybe desert camo.

I’d put dimples on it, to make the air flow around it better and paint it with a radar absorbing material. Those flat stainless steel panels are great radar reflectors. Maybe add some neon lights to the under carriage too.

Remove the battery, put a V12 in the bed and a middle finger print on the roof.

Just kidding, own 2 Phevs and really love them (X5 and CX-90) it's the absolute perfect setup for our use case, I need the dependibility of fuel/gas to cope with remote areas I go to + deal with our -30C weather but most of the time only do short errands in the city.

It is unique for sure. I own a Model 3 and it really is a great car if you are cool with all the aspects of owning an EV. That said, if you like to row your own gears and listen to the exhaust note, you will miss it after the Cybertruck honeymoon wears off. I am on the list to get a Cybertruck as well but with the new pricing they showed I may pass. The Tri-motor is $100k, AWD model is up to $80k now and the RWD for $62k won't be out for a while. I would rather just get the new Tacoma at that point and save a bunch of money and have better resale.
I have no problems with EV's myself other than the normal range, charging stations, time etc, my biggest problem is exp: I have a truck V-8 with 185k one owner etc. etc. we know what it's worth and roughly how much to operate it for another 150K.

What do I have remaining on an EV @ 185k? Total crap shoot is my guess before 20k in Battery is going to hit? Then what motor? I could theoretically drive an ICE vehicle for gas costs and few maintenance items over that next 150k

After 3 years with a model 3, I have zero issues with range (granted, this is CA). My range anxiety is worse in the BW because I can find at least 110v power in a pinch almost anywhere.

My big thing is value. You have a high entry cost, rapidly changing technology, and Elon continually cutting MSRP which all result in a really poor resale value. Few people want an old cell phone, these early BEV's are the exact same thing. In the long run most of this will be resolved, but I'm not going to be the one eating massive depreciation in the near term (after I'm done with this Tesla that is).

After 3 years with a model 3, I have zero issues with range (granted, this is CA). My range anxiety is worse in the BW because I can find at least 110v power in a pinch almost anywhere.

My big thing is value. You have a high entry cost, rapidly changing technology, and Elon continually cutting MSRP which all result in a really poor resale value. Few people want an old cell phone, these early BEV's are the exact same thing. In the long run most of this will be resolved, but I'm not going to be the one eating massive depreciation in the near term (after I'm done with this Tesla that is).
lol...done with TESLA? What your boy ELON got you down? lol......................................

Key word you left out..."this" Tesla. It's my wife's car, so don't judge me too harshly.

Here’s a tip for EV cold weather drivers, don’t use the heater. You can’t make this stuff up.

“Once the car is warm and you start driving, use seat warmers, a heated steering wheel and turn down the car heater. These features use less energy and provide targeted heat, saving battery life.”

Chicago-area Tesla charging stations lined with dead cars in freezing cold: 'A bunch of dead robots out here'​

Here’s a tip for EV cold weather drivers, don’t use the heater. You can’t make this stuff up.

“Once the car is warm and you start driving, use seat warmers, a heated steering wheel and turn down the car heater. These features use less energy and provide targeted heat, saving battery life.”

Chicago-area Tesla charging stations lined with dead cars in freezing cold: 'A bunch of dead robots out here'​

Did you know some people also alter their driving style to save gas? But you only "can't make it up" if it's an EV. :rolleyes:

Here is a tip. Don't buy electric cars.

At least they’re warm. The high gas prices have nothing to do with a car’s performance in the winter. Let’s go Brandon. Keystone pipeline?
Why are EVs always a political argument? It's not even an argument, it's just science. Not all vehicles or all propulsion systems are good in all circumstances. Any vehicle can be optimised for efficiency. Why is that so difficult to understand?

Wife's '23 Model Y LR has been awesome so far. 11k miles with zero issues (besides a error code glitch at the beginning the service center resolved in 20 minutes). Charge at home a few times a week and just drive it. It's a great complement for our family to haul our kids around and just run in-town errands. We've taken on a few road trips too and as long as you budget a little extra time to charge at the fast chargers, it was fairly painless.

I'm not giving up my ICE vehicle too, but to add an electric vehicle or two to a family fleet is not such a bad thing IMHO.

Why are EVs always a political argument? It's not even an argument, it's just science. Not all vehicles or all propulsion systems are good in all circumstances. Any vehicle can be optimised for efficiency. Why is that so difficult to understand?
Why is it so difficult to understand that the very reason it's political is because politicians make it so by meddling in a fragile free market of personal transportation. These EV mandates are hugely disruptive and expose the OEM's to massive financial liabilities. Let the transition happen more organically and when the product becomes more compelling and the supporting infrastructure more robust, the transition will be significantly less divisive.

Saw a Cyber Truck in the wild yesterday (I-80 west between the Bay Area and Sacramento). I was able to pace it for a minute or two and its an odd looking vehicle for sure. I generally get the early adopter crowd being interested in new stuff, but we've been hearing about this thing for so long it doesn't really feel new and exiting.
20240115_123021.jpg
20240115_122436.jpg

Why is it so difficult to understand that the very reason it's political is because politicians make it so by meddling in a fragile free market of personal transportation. These EV mandates are hugely disruptive and expose the OEM's to massive financial liabilities. Let the transition happen more organically and when the product becomes more compelling and the supporting infrastructure more robust, the transition will be significantly less divisive.
I agree. Let people have the freedom to decide what car they want to drive. We should not be forced into EVs.

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Delaware Cadillac

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners

Back