Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

EV Thoughts Thread: cause the old farts did their usual thing

Obviously EVs are not right for everyone or even most people, but I think those of us who consider ourselves car enthusiasts should at least get behind the wheel once so we know what the deal is.

I find most people who swear they will never own an EV have never driven one. I didn't have much interest myself until I did, and it is really an eye opening experience. Kind of like driving a convertible for the first time....it's a different experience.
So is sex with a prostitute but that does not mean I want to do it.... LOL........

...right... you just keep going back to Nevada for the slots and buffets...
Slots. Prostitutes have slots. You can also have a buffet of prostitutes.

Slots. Prostitutes have slots. You can also have a buffet of prostitutes.

True.

I guess based on what Tall Steve says, the BW is the wife I cherish and the Tesla is the cheap hooker I bang on the side on bad days. Hopefully I'll find myself inside the BW more than the Tesla but you guys are saying it's probably going to be the other way around.

Does that mean for Tall Steve that the 5BW is the wife and the 4BW is... younger mistress?

Took delivery of my Rivian R1T last weekend and so far I’m really digging it. It’s quieter and quicker than my 5BW but obviously lacks the involvement. Both attract a lot of comments from people. There is no way I’m getting rid of my 5BW but I’m seriously thinking about passing on the 4BW that has been sitting in the goat pen since September.

Took delivery of my Rivian R1T last weekend and so far I’m really digging it. It’s quieter and quicker than my 5BW but obviously lacks the involvement. Both attract a lot of comments from people. There is no way I’m getting rid of my 5BW but I’m seriously thinking about passing on the 4BW that has been sitting in the goat pen since September.

Got my '23 Lightning Lariat ER last week as well. Really nice EV truck, first EV I've owned. It's not a replacement for any of my performance ice rides, but it's pretty darn quick and will make a nice, comfy, utilitarian daily driver.

Rivian's are very nice! Congrats!

Everyone is going EV!

the-simpsons-homer-simpson (1).gif

My wife has had a model 3 performance for a couple of years now. It's a fun car to drive, I have no issues with it. Her commute is about 40 miles round trip and she can charge at work, but we also have level 2 in the garage. Its a perfect car when we stay in range of our home charger, but it's ICE for us when we are going out of range.

There is some virtue signaling baggage that comes with BEV ownership. I think there are better BEV than Tesla, but the charging network trumps everything at the moment. My advice to anyone new to BEV is to make sure you understand your "why" argument for purchasing a BEV and it better not lean to much on your concern over the environment.

Doug DeMuro has an interesting breakdown on the wheels coming off of Tesla.

For better or worse, I didn't buy my Lightning or the Tesla Model 3 LR I just ordered yesterday for my wife for the environment. Honestly, I could give a crap about the environment from a vehicle purchase perspective as I'm not entirely sure an EV is better for the environment overall. They just make good daily drivers due to the high torque, smooth efficient electric motors and ability to plug in at home and not screw around with gas stations, etc. Heck, I have a gas card for work to use on my vehicles so it's not even the money.

There is some virtue signaling baggage that comes with BEV ownership. I think there are better BEV than Tesla, but the charging network trumps everything at the moment. My advice to anyone new to BEV is to make sure you understand your "why" argument for purchasing a BEV and it better not lean to much on your concern over the environment.

Damn it, so you are saying I shouldn't apply for this vanity plate?

10005a0122.png

Nothing against EVs, and yes I have driven them. Just drove the Lightning to check it out--really enjoyed it--among multiple others. I know I'd enjoy one.

However...

1) Working from home at the moment, no need for a commuter. I used to work at several companies that had free EV charging, would have been perfect for that, but just not my situation at the moment.

2) EVs are getting better and cheaper, more competition, no need to rush to buy.

3) The days of fun cars with manual transmissions, particularly with big V8s, are numbered. I can get an EV at any point in the future. But the window to get cool ICE cars is limited. So that's what I'm focusing on in the near & mid future. People will look back in 10 years, maybe 20, and say, hey, I could have had a V8! :)

Back in 2010, I considered getting a Chevy Volt. I was in the Army then and living in the barracks so I didn't have access to any type of electricity/charging so I wouldn't have been able to take advantage of the plug-in aspect of it. I even went so far as to go to Housing and ask if they could put in an outlet for me if I got a plug-in type electric car. They basically laughed at me and said no. Nowadays, I would be willing to bet the barracks parking lots have EV charging sections. I ended up getting a 2011 Chevy Cruze instead, but still also had a '05 CTS-V and 2002 Durango at the time.

B4953F08-320D-48E7-A91D-0976419F6017.jpeg
BCD74EA8-F12F-4DD3-9430-31244E374651.jpeg

Well I took delivery of the Tesla. Experience was super easy. Car was actually very well built except for the known white color match issue (all the panels are slightly different color of pearl white). All the other white cars there had the same issue. I just couldn’t be bothered to spend 1000 dollars on a different color since it’s going to be a winter/daily car. The panel gaps were all even and as good as the BMW X3M and better than the Caddy. I think it’s hit or miss because another guy taking delivery was not happy with his Model Y in white. The interior didn’t have any issues I could see and everything feels very well put together.

On the road there were no squeaks or rattles so far. Ride is good. You Tesla owners on the thread were right. This thing is insanely good fun to drive. The steering is super quick and responsive and there is actually good feedback. The body roll is nearly non existent due to the very low center of gravity. The acceleration in the mid range is brutal (no break in miles with electric cars). The base Model Y long range is quicker in the 50 to 70 passing tests than the 5BW with auto. I got a little nauseous during the pulls today, something that’s never happened to me. I had a great time just hammering it and blasting away. I can’t imagine what a plaid feels like. Autopilot is light years ahead of the BMW level 2 system, it just felt so confident and smooth navigating the car on the highway. I’m getting used to 1 pedal driving but I barely touched the brakes.

I’ve never driven an electric car before, and I got this one because it was a good deal for a midsize SUV and I wanted to save money on gas for my long commute. However it feels sacrilege to say that I’ve never been quite so taken by a vehicle on a first drive before. Maybe it’s because there is no break in and I got to hammer it from the get go, but this Tesla is truly something else.

Last edited:
Our 3 Performance is the hardest accelerating car I've ever driven, at least from a dig. The rate of acceleration falls off around 50mph making it feel ordinary after that. I enjoy the instant torque in traffic and using it to run short errands around town, but a few weeks after delivery it became largely an acceptable transportation tool and not much else.

Not just for the drivers - which is a given - but the amount and variety of rando's giving me the thumbs up or wanting to have a chat about the car is something else, especially in quite a short time of ownership.
It started 175 miles in with a guy in the Nevada high plains saying 'beautiful car' outside a coffee shop, to a guy on a bike who's ordering a 5BW rolling up in a park where I was giving the car a break after a couple canyon runs, a kid in a Veloster N honking and waving at the lights (was still pre-breaking, so no drag race lol), to a bunch of folks at various gas stations, which let's face it is a BW's home away from home.

The M2 Comp would be clocked by pistonheads/gearheads, but to most folks it was just another 2 series, albeit a wide body, with huge grills, and a cow udder exhaust. The 4BW definitely seems to have more cross over appeal.

You folks having the occasional John Q Public wander up for a gawk or a chat?

Happens all the time in our ATS-V's.
20211202_160454 (1).jpg

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Delaware Cadillac

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop