Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

EV Thoughts Thread: cause the old farts did their usual thing

Im looking into one of these!

:)

1664629875692.png

Thread resurrection.

Well I needed a winter car with AWD that I cared about less than the Blackwing. I am driving the trusty G37x with 210k miles but things continue to break on it as the entire bottom of the car is just being consumed by rust (part of the reason I don't want to drive the BW in the winter). I just spent 1500 dollars fixing a rusted out transmission pan and radiator that was leaking and now it threw a code for a o2 sensor that's only a 250 dollar part but deep inside a rats nest of stuff.

I put my name down for a GR Corolla at an MSRP dealer but I'm pretty far down the list and it's an even worse goat rodeo for that car than the Blackwings.

So the Tesla price cuts on Thursday really caught my interest. Model Y long range dropped to like 52k something from 65k, plus they qualify for the 7.5k tax rebate, so price is about 45.5k. Placed the order Friday and to my surprise they said the car can be picked up this coming Wed (they must be swimming in inventory). Never had an electric car, and really wasn't planning to get one for a while, however I got a 100mile round trip daily commute and have free charging at work so this was kinda no brainer to most people. I'll definitely look the car closely over at the pick up and reject it if I see enough quality issues since I'm not someone that has to have a Tesla.

I'll definitely drive the Tesla exclusively for winter since that's what it's there for. The summer will be interesting because, if I drive the Tesla exclusively I'd save 6.6k in gas a year at current prices (again, free charging at work). I guess I'll have to see how it drives and if I'll hate it. I'd probably still daily the Blackwing for funzies.

Thread resurrection.

Well I needed a winter car with AWD that I cared about less than the Blackwing. I am driving the trusty G37x with 210k miles but things continue to break on it as the entire bottom of the car is just being consumed by rust (part of the reason I don't want to drive the BW in the winter). I just spent 1500 dollars fixing a rusted out transmission pan and radiator that was leaking and now it threw a code for a o2 sensor that's only a 250 dollar part but deep inside a rats nest of stuff.

I put my name down for a GR Corolla at an MSRP dealer but I'm pretty far down the list and it's an even worse goat rodeo for that car than the Blackwings.

So the Tesla price cuts on Thursday really caught my interest. Model Y long range dropped to like 52k something from 65k, plus they qualify for the 7.5k tax rebate, so price is about 45.5k. Placed the order Friday and to my surprise they said the car can be picked up this coming Wed (they must be swimming in inventory). Never had an electric car, and really wasn't planning to get one for a while, however I got a 100mile round trip daily commute and have free charging at work so this was kinda no brainer to most people. I'll definitely look the car closely over at the pick up and reject it if I see enough quality issues since I'm not someone that has to have a Tesla.

I'll definitely drive the Tesla exclusively for winter since that's what it's there for. The summer will be interesting because, if I drive the Tesla exclusively I'd save 6.6k in gas a year at current prices (again, free charging at work). I guess I'll have to see how it drives and if I'll hate it. I'd probably still daily the Blackwing for funzies.
You'll like how it drives, it's just the little things that will annoy you. I think a Tesla is a good complementary vehicle to something like a Blackwing.

Congrats on saving that kinda money on a Tesla, I feel bad for those that overpaid and waited a year. Might as well use that thing to commute and save your BW for the long hall.

There was a GRC Core that sold on C&Bs for $48550. When you add up tax and buyer fees, not including shipping it's more like $55k. Kinda defeats the point of an affordable hot hatch.
IMG_20230115_180237.jpg

I think a Tesla is a good complementary vehicle to something like a Blackwing.

Yeah I guess that pairing is a "deconstructed" hybrid, like those fancy restaurants call it now when they can't be bothered to assemble your food.

It's basically like having a pair of Priuses in the garage. I'm basically going to be Greta Thunberg now.

Congrats on saving that kinda money on a Tesla, I feel bad for those that overpaid and waited a year. Might as well use that thing to commute and save your BW for the long hall.

There was a GRC Core that sold on C&Bs for $48550. When you add up tax and buyer fees, not including shipping it's more like $55k. Kinda defeats the point of an affordable hot hatch. View attachment 16023

Yeah apparently the GRC seller claims he ended up suffering a loss on that 48k sale. And dealer snapped it up. So basically the first dealer made at least an additional 8k in markups and then C&B made their fee, and this next dealer is planning to fleece some other poor sap. Oh and the government wins with collecting taxes on both sales.

Driving the Tesla more will definitely make the most financial sense, but I'm bad at making financial sense so I'd probably still burn tons of dead dinosaurs in the summer in the BW. I might leave the Blackwing at home on very rainy days to decrease my chances of putting it into a guard rail (had a few sphincter clenching moments with aqua planing over puddles on the highway this past summer).

Thread resurrection.

Just ran some potential numbers on a $45k note financed for 48 months. Ballpark $775 monthly and with $550 monthly fuel savings you're talking about $225ish net coat per month on a new AWD Tesla? I'm not a fan of Teslas but that's a no brainer for me especially vs spending thousands on a rust bucket.

Just ran some potential numbers on a $45k note financed for 48 months. Ballpark $775 monthly and with $550 monthly fuel savings you're talking about $225ish net coat per month on a new AWD Tesla? I'm not a fan of Teslas but that's a no brainer for me.

Yeah 3 of my coworkers also ordered Teslas this week too. Hopefully the chargers at work won't be all taken now with all of us having the same bright idea.

Yeah I guess that pairing is a "deconstructed" hybrid, like those fancy restaurants call it now when they can't be bothered to assemble your food.

It's basically like having a pair of Priuses in the garage. I'm basically going to be Greta Thunberg now.
How Dare You Greta GIF

Personally I hope I never have to purchase an electric vehicle in my lifetime! I know I'm old though and that may not be progressive thinking. It just doesn't interest me!

Personally I hope I never have to purchase an electric vehicle in my lifetime! I know I'm old though and that may not be progressive thinking. It just doesn't interest me!
Not trying to change your opinion, but have you ever driven a modern electric car?

I haven't and I know I probably shouldn't be so closed minded!
Obviously EVs are not right for everyone or even most people, but I think those of us who consider ourselves car enthusiasts should at least get behind the wheel once so we know what the deal is.

I find most people who swear they will never own an EV have never driven one. I didn't have much interest myself until I did, and it is really an eye opening experience. Kind of like driving a convertible for the first time....it's a different experience.

We love our EV. Amazing daily commuter. Charging at home has raised our electric bill just under $30 and we do a lot of driving around the DFW metroplex (sports tournaments on the weekend). There are down sides, forget about trying to travel outside of a 200 mile radius from the home. The charging infrastructure just isn’t there. Govt supposedly invested billions to improve it this year. We’ll see…..

Thread resurrection.

I own a Blackwing and a 2019 Tesla Model 3. The Tesla is the best daily driver I ever owned. You will love the instant torque and low cost of ownership. I also owned a Tesla Model 3 Performance. Felt quicker than the 4BW and my ZL1 down low, at highway speeds (70mph+) the 4BW pulls harder. The only reason I traded for a 4BW was for more driving engagement with the Tremec M6 and some sound.

Around town that Model Y will check a lot of boxes. I won't be surprised if you wind up driving the Tesla all the time.

Obviously EVs are not right for everyone or even most people, but I think those of us who consider ourselves car enthusiasts should at least get behind the wheel once so we know what the deal is.

I find most people who swear they will never own an EV have never driven one. I didn't have much interest myself until I did, and it is really an eye opening experience. Kind of like driving a convertible for the first time....it's a different experience.
I might give an EV more consideration if I had the need for a commuter vehicle. I'm an old retired guy though and my driving is all for pleasure. I do like taking road trips too and as stated in the comment above, the infrastructure isn't there for that yet.

We love our EV. Amazing daily commuter. Charging at home has raised our electric bill just under $30 and we do a lot of driving around the DFW metroplex (sports tournaments on the weekend). There are down sides, forget about trying to travel outside of a 200 mile radius from the home. The charging infrastructure just isn’t there. Govt supposedly invested billions to improve it this year. We’ll see…..
The infrastructure is there, but only for Tesla at the moment.

The infrastructure is there, but only for Tesla at the moment.

Oh yeah, that is correct. We ran across a bunch of a Tesla stations out in the wild. We learned real quick the family road trip takes 3x longer minimum with an EV. Tesla is testing out opening their stations up to all mfg’s in certain parts of Europe. This would help a ton if they do so in the States.

If I had the room, work would pay to juice an electric. With employee pricing on a Bolt, I would save money by adding one to fleet.

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Delaware Cadillac

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners

Back