Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

EV Thoughts Thread: cause the old farts did their usual thing

Just read an article that tested an 2022 F-150 Lightning towing a trailer and the range was 90 miles. Yep, EVs are magical. This is what the .gov wants for us. Let’s show some love for the Lightning.
All for the low low price of $90,000, Throttle House reported the same thing in their review two days ago

Just read an article that tested an 2022 F-150 Lightning towing a trailer and the range was 90 miles. Yep, EVs are magical. This is what the .gov wants for us. Let’s show some love for the Lightning.
I just watched the review of the Lightning on Throttle House, and one feature I thought was awesome was the frunk. The hood opens to a large trunk for storage. I always hated the lack of internal storage when I ran a pickup for daily driving. I know you can use a tonneau cover or cap, but it's not the same as a dedicated internal space for things like groceries.

I just watched the review of the Lightning on Throttle House, and one feature I thought was awesome was the frunk. The hood opens to a large trunk for storage. I always hated the lack of internal storage when I ran a pickup for daily driving. I know you can use a tonneau cover or cap, but it's not the same as a dedicated internal space for things like groceries.
Yes, it would be a good choice for grocery shopping if one had 8 kids and should be able to make it to the store and back without a recharge.

The Taycan Turbo was the car I was going to get if BTC hit 100k lol. But it didn't, and then the BW came out. Funny thing is after wheels, PPF, auction fees+markup, etc, I'm actually not too far off the Taycan MSRP...

I think it would be a riot, but I highly doubt I'd enjoy it more than the BW.

IMHO, the Ford Lightning is awesome for a gen 1 EV truck. I look at it as the perfect half ton truck, although capable of towing 10k lbs it's not ideal or realistic.

Anyone expecting these things to tow max capacity is going to have to deal with the consequences of short range. We all see people out there dry running diesels while other dumbasses are towing way more than they should with half tons. When you tow at max capacity with a gas engine you get shit mileage (EV range), same difference?

Rightfully so, auto journalists push every vehicle to their boundaries. Right now, EVs are not meant to do large capacity for extended durations. Back in the 70s when emissions standards changed, look how the performance of vehicles suffered, (i.e. crossfire injection:puke)

Let's face it, long distance road trips are inconvenient and when towing, are unrealistic with the current infrastructure. This application is perfect for fleet use, carpenters, local business owners and rurual commuting in the snow belt.

Unhappy with EVs in 2022? Wait 20 years and we will see where things are at.

Last edited:
Seems like an electric pickup pulling a trailer is an application ripe for a range extension ICE.

Hell, big travel trailers already have onboard generators. Just need to rig them up to send power to the tow vehicle.

Interesting food for thought.

As a Tesla owner, one thing that is overlooked is how EVs consume energy when they are not running. For example, features like Sentry mode, which is the alarm system that records from all the camera consumes quite a bit of battery charge. Like 10 miles of range over an typical workday. Another feature is Cabin Overheat Protection, which turns on the AC if you cabin temperature exceeds 105 degrees. On hot days this can consume a lot of energy. Also keep in mind when the car is sitting it for any extended period it needs to wake itself to charge the 12v accessory battery. The point is EVs continue to draw some amount of energy even when they are parked where ICE vehicle do not. Also, when you charge them you lose some of that energy to heat.

Another big factor is where you drive. In the city stop and go you get a lot of regen to improve efficiency but on the highway EVs are not very efficient since there is no regen. You also have to drive at like 65mph otherwise your efficiency goes way down. Then we can forget cold weather driving with EVs as your battery range can drop in half.

Last edited:

Also an engineer, so wanted to chime in. You’re throwing shade, but those numbers mean the electric truck towing a 10k pound trailer goes farther than an unloaded gas or diesel f150 for the same amount of energy. If you want more range, get a bigger battery. We’re going start seeing all electric tractor trailers very soon, because the total cost of ownership will be much cheaper.

I was next to a Telsa driving slow in traffic in 2nd gear. Exhaust was full open as that is the only way I run it. After about 8 seconds he rolled his window up, priceless.

Is there an exhaust only setting? I’ve only seen engine sound option which appears to open the exhaust valves wide open.

As for EVs, just bought an Etron for the wife. It’s a cool car and an amazing daily commuter. Long distance travel is the problem .

Is there an exhaust only setting? I’ve only seen engine sound option which appears to open the exhaust valves wide open.

As for EVs, just bought an Etron for the wife. It’s a cool car and an amazing daily commuter. Long distance travel is the problem .
Agreed. EVs are great as local daily drivers when you can charge at home. The driving experience gets a bit numb if you are an enthusiast and like more driving engagement but for most folks they just like the quiet, smooth ride and fancy tech of EVs, which is why they are going to sell so well.

I am enjoying watching Dodge try and figure out how to engineer fake noise and simulated gear shifts in their upcoming Daytona Emuscle car. I am just not sure how they will win over the old school Mopar fan base. I will reserve judgement until I see and drive one.

I received a GM survey yesterday. I have two newer GM vehicles so I wasn't sure which one it pertained to until I started the survey. It was for the 5BW. It immediately went into asking the likelihood that I would buy an EV but before gave a laundry list of details of the EV. I responded "Definitely wouldn't consider (buying an EV)." Next was if I would buy an EV truck with a laundry list of options. Again I responded "Definitely wouldn't consider". The survey that was suppose to take 15 minutes ended at this point (2 minutes into the survey) basically saying "you aren't the right person for this survey." :ROFLMAO:

I received a GM survey yesterday. I have two newer GM vehicles so I wasn't sure which one it pertained to until I started the survey. It was for the 5BW. It immediately went into asking the likelihood that I would buy an EV but before gave a laundry list of details of the EV. I responded "Definitely wouldn't consider (buying an EV)." Next was if I would buy an EV truck with a laundry list of options. Again I responded "Definitely wouldn't consider". The survey that was suppose to take 15 minutes ended at this point (2 minutes into the survey) basically saying "you aren't the right person for this survey." :ROFLMAO:

Ill Be Back Jim Carrey GIF

I agree with this. The libertarian streak that permeates my otherwise liberal leanings feels that banning one particular form of propulsion is stupid, especially when internal combustion has come such a long way. The engineer and American in me, though, loves that I can own a car that is powered by the solar panels on my roof, and not by oil that gets pumped out of the sand in Saudi Arabia.

I think the car enthusiasts that "hate" EVs are doing so out of some sort of perverse virtue signaling driven by their hatred of the politics surrounding EVs, not based on the cars themselves. That's why I called it an opinion borne out of ignorance. I virtually guarantee that anyone on this forum would love driving, say, a Taycan Turbo...no matter their political opinions.
Which EV can do that?

EV's are gonna save the planet. Or at least allow China and a bunch of third world countries to burn a lot more coal to equal things out.

My point is EV's will do nothing to help anything as long as so many other countries burn as much coal as they do.

Would I love a EV? Absolutely. But with three expensive ICE vehicles in a 2-person household and both of us retired it aint gonna happen for a while.

EV's are gonna save the planet. Or at least allow China and a bunch of third world countries to burn a lot more coal to equal things out.

My point is EV's will do nothing to help anything as long as so many other countries burn as much coal as they do.

Would I love a EV? Absolutely. But with three expensive ICE vehicles in a 2-person household and both of us retired it aint gonna happen for a while.

I have owned a Tesla Model 3 for the past 3 years. They make for great daily drivers but we still have so many issues to work out. Charging for folks in apartments or older homes without enough electrical service to add a 50 amp circuit. Battery prices and concerns over how green battery recycling will work. Concerns as to whether the power grid will be able to support them. Look at the headlines from California tell people not to charge their cars for a few days with the heatwave. The list goes on and on. I am surprised at how fast GM is moving toward EVs. Toyota/Lexus seems to have a better migration strategy by offering ICE, Hybrids and BEVs to address the market needs.

I have owned a Tesla Model 3 for the past 3 years. They make for great daily drivers but we still have so many issues to work out. Charging for folks in apartments or older homes without enough electrical service to add a 50 amp circuit. Battery prices and concerns over how green battery recycling will work. Concerns as to whether the power grid will be able to support them. Look at the headlines from California tell people not to charge their cars for a few days with the heatwave. The list goes on and on. I am surprised at how fast GM is moving toward EVs. Toyota/Lexus seems to have a better migration strategy by offering ICE, Hybrids and BEVs to address the market needs.
Well look at it this way. In Kalifornia a new valid excuse for not going into work is that there was not enough power to charge the car, or every charging spot in my apartment was taken. Lost wages, reduced worker productivity, higher cost for manufacturing. All "unintended" consequences.

EVs are only political because the politicians made them a political issue.

Last edited:

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Delaware Cadillac

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners