Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

Engine Problem - Could use some advice

A brief update - After 2 months and three pages of replaced parts, it isn't fixed. GM even sent an engineer down to help with the process without success. I had taken the lead tech on a drive to show him what it was doing and he took the engineer out.
I now have the car back and the next step is that GM is going to send me some special data recorder that the dealership service people hadn't seen or heard of before. I plug it into the data port and make the car do what it does and this data recorder sends the data back to the GM engineers. GM didn't want the dealership people driving the car they way it needed to be every time they tried something. I was ok with it as the lead tech has been to the V Academy BW school and the Corvette school.
It is all getting very frustrating and I was hoping to do some track days in the spring but obviously can't until they get the misfire diagnosed and fixed.

A brief update - After 2 months and three pages of replaced parts, it isn't fixed. GM even sent an engineer down to help with the process without success. I had taken the lead tech on a drive to show him what it was doing and he took the engineer out.
I now have the car back and the next step is that GM is going to send me some special data recorder that the dealership service people hadn't seen or heard of before. I plug it into the data port and make the car do what it does and this data recorder sends the data back to the GM engineers. GM didn't want the dealership people driving the car they way it needed to be every time they tried something. I was ok with it as the lead tech has been to the V Academy BW school and the Corvette school.
It is all getting very frustrating and I was hoping to do some track days in the spring but obviously can't until they get the misfire diagnosed and fixed.
Damn, this is scary to me! I sure hope they get it worked out for you..

Sorry to hear of the ongoing troubles Mike. You have been super patient and I think it is time for GM to get a replacement in the works. They can keep yours and diagnose it as long as they want.

Don't disagree but not sure that will happen......

Hopefully this gets fixed ASAP and the knowledge found can help someone else if they experience this.

Shit, in your corner hoping they get this corrected ASAP 4U from out here! Your patience is to be admired! Not sure I could hold like that! Stay the course. BEST OF LUCK!

Your vehicle is the reason for Lemon Laws.
The problem with this is that it will take him at least a year to get another 5BW along with any price increases.

I know that if my car was acting up and I could lemon it I'd probably never get another again if I got back in line today so lemoning it would mean I'd never get another 5BW.

It sucks when this happens but unfortunately the best bet is to go with the punches and use that 6 year powertrain warranty.

Unless you don't care about the car but I imagine anyone with a manual 5BW bought it for the same reason we all did and lemoning it with no guarantee you can get another would not be something I'd want to do.

The problem with this is that it will take him at least a year to get another 5BW along with any price increases.

I know that if my car was acting up and I could lemon it I'd probably never get another again if I got back in line today so lemoning it would mean I'd never get another 5BW.

It sucks when this happens but unfortunately the best bet is to go with the punches and use that 6 year powertrain warranty.

Unless you don't care about the car but I imagine anyone with a manual 5BW bought it for the same reason we all did and lemoning it with no guarantee you can get another would not be something I'd want to do.
My thinking exactly. The other remedy is a refund but that might not include sale tax and I know it will not include PPF or the all-season wheels and tires I bought for the wet/cold days I still wanted to drive.
I am going to see how the data recorder works and give GM another shot or two or three :) but if that doesn't work, I may have to take the loss and move on. While I have 6 years, I want to track the car this summer.......
But I would try and force the issue of a replacement if it could be done quicky as I do like the car and really wanted a manual. That is the primary reason I wanted over a year for it and there isn't another 4 passenger, manual, supercharged car out there.

You could potentially negotiate a replacement as far as the lemon law settlement . GM might be more amenable to a quick resolution. Who knows unless you try!!!

I say track it and beat on it till a cylinder blows through the hood - would be fun to see the look on GM’s face when that data gets pushed to them through that logging device 🤣

You could potentially negotiate a replacement as far as the lemon law settlement . GM might be more amenable to a quick resolution. Who knows unless you try!!!
Been there tried that. GM basically laughed at me when I said I was considering it saying they'd gladly give me my money back but I'd not be seeing another blackwing allocation. As far as I'm aware right now the banks are closed and may never open again. I would have lemoned mine with the rod bearing issue but it's fixed and working well now. I figure if I blow something else up on it I'll reach out to car and driver and let them know it's not just the new Z06 with rod bearing issues ;)

Been there tried that. GM basically laughed at me when I said I was considering it saying they'd gladly give me my money back but I'd not be seeing another blackwing allocation. As far as I'm aware right now the banks are closed and may never open again. I would have lemoned mine with the rod bearing issue but it's fixed and working well now. I figure if I blow something else up on it I'll reach out to car and driver and let them know it's not just the new Z06 with rod bearing issues ;)

Why do people keep regurgitating this rumor? The 'order banks' for Blackwing are not closed. You'll know when that happens for real.

I say track it and beat on it till a cylinder blows through the hood - would be fun to see the look on GM’s face when that data gets pushed to them through that logging device 🤣
Isn't it better to stretch that shit out? Funny?

Latest update - Still no joy! GM decided to install a special data recorder that transmits data back to them. I have a button to push when the car does its thing. It isn't difficult to reproduce but GM didn't want the dealership driving it that hard. While I trust my tech, I understand. So I took it out and made it fail pretty badly today and pushed the red button they installed so they know where in the data to look. My only concern is that it took them a week to get the data recorder working and transmitting correctly. The GM FSR had to come in at least twice and work with it. Anyway, the hope is that they will be able to locate the issues by analyzing the data.
I also recorded a couple of runs on my PDR and have used the Pi Toolbox to examine that. It starts missing around 4500 and on one run, stopped accelerating totally at 5000 rpm. I have attached a screen shot of the Pi information and you can see the manifold boost going nuts just prior to the misfire starting. I have no idea which is causing which as they replaced all the Supercharger seals. Really not sure this is the least bit helpful in identifying the issue but though you might find it interesting.

Also got TC errors and Rear Axle errors while It was making these runs. Having so much fun!

1674509275371.png

If something like this occurs to my car.....it will be so catastrophic that the car WILL BE a total loss. I will take the money and go elsewhere for the next cool ride. I will be able to tell my grandchildren......"I once owned a Blackwing and then it blew up!"

Update - GM has analyzed the data I have generated and concluded that it is a fuel starvations issue. They have directed the dealer to replace just about everything from the high-pressure fuel pump forward. GM says they will look at all the parts and try and figure out which was the cause; that is assuming that fixes the problem.
But I have felt all all along that it was a fuel issue.
Dealer is waiting for all the parts and I am a little hopeful.....

this sounds like a similar problem to mine. the starvation nuked all the spark plugs on one bank as well as the rings. required engine replacement. they also replaced the fuel rails, evap canister, fuel lines, and fuel tank.

as an FYI, some of the people on here don't know what they are talking about when it comes to lemon laws. it is GM policy that if your car qualifies for a buyback that they will let you order and purchase any currently produced car at MSRP. you don't have to 'get back in line.' i'm considering lemon lawing mine and using that to get a z06. there are two people that just did this with base corvettes that they lemon lawed to a z06 and bypassed the gigantic line completely.

this sounds like a similar problem to mine. the starvation nuked all the spark plugs on one bank as well as the rings. required engine replacement. they also replaced the fuel rails, evap canister, fuel lines, and fuel tank.

as an FYI, some of the people on here don't know what they are talking about when it comes to lemon laws. it is GM policy that if your car qualifies for a buyback that they will let you order and purchase any currently produced car at MSRP. you don't have to 'get back in line.' i'm considering lemon lawing mine and using that to get a z06. there are two people that just did this with base corvettes that they lemon lawed to a z06 and bypassed the gigantic line completely.
Good to know.

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Delaware Cadillac

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners