Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

Engine Problem - Could use some advice

this sounds like a similar problem to mine. the starvation nuked all the spark plugs on one bank as well as the rings. required engine replacement. they also replaced the fuel rails, evap canister, fuel lines, and fuel tank.

as an FYI, some of the people on here don't know what they are talking about when it comes to lemon laws. it is GM policy that if your car qualifies for a buyback that they will let you order and purchase any currently produced car at MSRP. you don't have to 'get back in line.' i'm considering lemon lawing mine and using that to get a z06. there are two people that just did this with base corvettes that they lemon lawed to a z06 and bypassed the gigantic line completely.
I might have more questions about GM buybacks. I think my car is now loosing a main bearing as the oil temp is starting to look like the tach. Temps are going up significantly under even minor loads and it just started yesterday.

Do they cover sales tax or improvements like PPF and a second set of wheels/tires? The 2023 cost has gone up so if I wanted a new 5BW, would they cover the cost difference?

I know you don't know all the answers but thought I would pick your brain. Thanks for any insight you may have.

I might have more questions about GM buybacks. I think my car is now loosing a main bearing as the oil temp is starting to look like the tach. Temps are going up significantly under even minor loads and it just started yesterday.

Do they cover sales tax or improvements like PPF and a second set of wheels/tires? The 2023 cost has gone up so if I wanted a new 5BW, would they cover the cost difference?

I know you don't know all the answers but thought I would pick your brain. Thanks for any insight you may have.
So bummed for you

Yes to sales tax. Generally no to second set of wheels & usually when it comes to PPF. They by law can also subtract a small amount for mileage used. You’d pay the new msrp on a new car, so it would indeed cost you more. You can also ask for a cash & keep where they’ll make you an offer to keep the car. GM will usually give you at least the payments (lease or loan) you were out while the car was disabled. If you paid cash they have a formula of what the payment would have been to reimburse. I know people that have gotten 10k+ via a cash and keep. That plus the savings versus the new higher msrp might be worth it to you or it might not. Given this is a low production car with the potential to be collectible in the future not having the original engine may not.

So did they replace all the fuel system parts you mentioned earlier and this started happening after that? :(

Yes to sales tax. Generally no to second set of wheels & usually when it comes to PPF. They by law can also subtract a small amount for mileage used. You’d pay the new msrp on a new car, so it would indeed cost you more. You can also ask for a cash & keep where they’ll make you an offer to keep the car. GM will usually give you at least the payments (lease or loan) you were out while the car was disabled. If you paid cash they have a formula of what the payment would have been to reimburse. I know people that have gotten 10k+ via a cash and keep. That plus the savings versus the new higher msrp might be worth it to you or it might not. Given this is a low production car with the potential to be collectible in the future not having the original engine may not.
Thanks!

I really hate to hear that. I hope it doesn't have to get to this point, but its worse driving a vehicle that fails of its essential purpose.

Bearing 3 and 4 on mine spun due to a bur in the crankshaft causing issues with one of the oil journals. It also popped at 288 miles. I didn't really notice my temps spiking, just a sputter and then a metallic noise like the video of that C8 Z06 at 52 miles but I also wasn't watching it at the time. Honestly I'd say just go drive it a bit hard and let it pop. You shouldn't be a test mule for them to just keep saying "alright we replaced this washer, go out and try to see if that fixed it". Get a replacement motor and start actually enjoying your car

Man.......this is depressing. I just saw this thread for the first time and was hoping for a happy ending...... :(

Best of luck on the new engine. Sounds like others have ultimately gotten them, so hopefully that resolves everything.

I'm sure everyone would rather have their car behave like it should instead of going through all the lemon replacement BS........unless you get a Z06 out of the deal. Sadly, you still can't get 3 pedals on any 'Vette. :(

A childhood dream of mine died when that announcement was made.

Instead of asking for a new motor, maybe it’s more prudent to just ask for a new BW. Several BWs have showed up at dealers for MSRP and as interest rates keep climbing, even allocations might open up for a custom order. Unless they decide to cancel 2024 model all together!

After 9 frustrating months, it is fixed! GM engineers worked on it and installed a data logger that transmitted back to somewhere. They finally figured out that it was a fuel issue but weren't sure what was causing it so they decided to replace almost everting in the fuel system. The dealer made the engineer give them a detailed list of everything they wanted them to replace and it then took 3 months to get a high-pressure fuel pump in. :( Apparently there is a pump in the tank and then a high-pressure pump somewhere under the hood.
Finally they got all the parts in and called the engineer back and they installed all the parts. It was fixed!!
They aren't sure what part fixed the problem but they think it was the pump. They took all the parts back to Detroit to evaluate. There is another car with similar symptoms in California and they want to try and replace only the bad part in it.

Anyway, I have fallen in love with the car once again. Honestly, I had just about given up on it. In fairness, the dealership was fantastic; it was GM that kept dropping the ball and 3 months to get a pump was ridiculous.

But the car works now and I am happy :)

After 9 frustrating months, it is fixed! GM engineers worked on it and installed a data logger that transmitted back to somewhere. They finally figured out that it was a fuel issue but weren't sure what was causing it so they decided to replace almost everting in the fuel system. The dealer made the engineer give them a detailed list of everything they wanted them to replace and it then took 3 months to get a high-pressure fuel pump in. :( Apparently there is a pump in the tank and then a high-pressure pump somewhere under the hood.
Finally they got all the parts in and called the engineer back and they installed all the parts. It was fixed!!
They aren't sure what part fixed the problem but they think it was the pump. They took all the parts back to Detroit to evaluate. There is another car with similar symptoms in California and they want to try and replace only the bad part in it.

Anyway, I have fallen in love with the car once again. Honestly, I had just about given up on it. In fairness, the dealership was fantastic; it was GM that kept dropping the ball and 3 months to get a pump was ridiculous.

So happy for you Mike! I admire your perseverance. That is a very long time, and it would have been understandable if you jumped ship.

I am glad it worked out as it did for you. I took mine out for maybe 40 miles today. I just passed 6 months and 2500 miles (could not rack them up too quick over the winter). I'm amazed I get to drive this machine. It is almost all the performance of any other performance "sports car", but in a very discreet and livable package. I admire all the cool cars I see - Corvette, Porsche, McLaren, etc. - but they are not for me. This manual shifting, supercharged V8 is an absolute gem and a magnificent beast, and offers a driving experience unlike any other. It is for me. And you.

Congrats again!

So happy for you Mike! I admire your perseverance. That is a very long time, and it would have been understandable if you jumped ship.

I am glad it worked out as it did for you. I took mine out for maybe 40 miles today. I just passed 6 months and 2500 miles (could not rack them up too quick over the winter). I'm amazed I get to drive this machine. It is almost all the performance of any other performance "sports car", but in a very discreet and livable package. I admire all the cool cars I see - Corvette, Porsche, McLaren, etc. - but they are not for me. This manual shifting, supercharged V8 is an absolute gem and a magnificent beast, and offers a driving experience unlike any other. It is for me. And you.

Congrats again!
Agree! It's even more controllable from Jekyll to Hyde with the A10 although I spilled some coffee in her today not cool!

Nice to see you're back on the road again!!!

Hi Mike, i am glad they fixed the issue on your car finally.. i just noticed the same issue on my 22 CT4BW 6MT at 7,500mi and plan to take it in, but concerned i will lose the car for months. after reading the thread, i believe i am dealing with the same situation at 4500-5000 rpm as i also got TC errors and Rear Axle errors while It was making the run. the error self clears instantly and releases rev match. i guess i can also be hopeful that the problem may be easier to address on mine since there is a record of this with yours. do you happen to have info on the GM engineer that was involved? I am planning to bring my car in to the dealer and i think it would help to bring it in with some data to back up the issue since the dealer may not be able to drive it the way it needs to be for the errors to pop up. appreciate any further info

Hi Mike, i am glad they fixed the issue on your car finally.. i just noticed the same issue on my 22 CT4BW 6MT at 7,500mi and plan to take it in, but concerned i will lose the car for months. after reading the thread, i believe i am dealing with the same situation at 4500-5000 rpm as i also got TC errors and Rear Axle errors while It was making the run. the error self clears instantly and releases rev match. i guess i can also be hopeful that the problem may be easier to address on mine since there is a record of this with yours. do you happen to have info on the GM engineer that was involved? I am planning to bring my car in to the dealer and i think it would help to bring it in with some data to back up the issue since the dealer may not be able to drive it the way it needs to be for the errors to pop up. appreciate any further info
By the way Mike, it appears there may be 2 cars in California with this issue if we include mine

By the way Mike, it appears there may be 2 cars in California with this issue if we include mine
I don't have the engineer's name but Tom Vanderpool is the Service Manager at Lockhart ((317) 577-1551) and he is very familiar with the problem. He even mentioned that they had identified at least one 5BW in California with a similar issue. GM wanted to test all the parts they replaced in my car so they could see what was the actual problem. That way they wouldn't have to replace everything.
It didn't happen at any exact RPM and my initial reaction was a clogged fuel filter because it felt like a fuel delivery issue under full load. Under partial throttle, it would rev to the limit.
I don't know if the 4BW uses the same pump or not but good luck with your issue!

I don't have the engineer's name but Tom Vanderpool is the Service Manager at Lockhart ((317) 577-1551) and he is very familiar with the problem. He even mentioned that they had identified at least one 5BW in California with a similar issue. GM wanted to test all the parts they replaced in my car so they could see what was the actual problem. That way they wouldn't have to replace everything.
It didn't happen at any exact RPM and my initial reaction was a clogged fuel filter because it felt like a fuel delivery issue under full load. Under partial throttle, it would rev to the limit.
I don't know if the 4BW uses the same pump or not but good luck with your issue!
i appreciate the info..
Your issue seems very similar to what i am experiencing. for me, it seems that fuel delivery is disrupted causing traction and axle alerts. soon as I'm able to take it in, i will. have kept it in the 3k rpm as soon as i noticed it. only pushed it a couple times to get a PDR and cell phone video just in case i needed it.
thx again!

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Delaware Cadillac

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners