Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

CT4-V CT4-V BW vs Camaro ZL1 vs C8 Z51

Cadillac CT4-V model

CT4-V BW vs Camaro ZL1 vs C8 Z51

• Blackwing

Votes: 30 65.2%
  • ZL1

Votes: 11 23.9%
  • C8 Z51

Votes: 5 10.9%

• Total voters

savethemanual

Seasoned Member
V-Series Cadillac(s)?
2023 CT4 V blackwing
Because I'm a guy who loves to second guess my car choices and as someone who's always looking for his next forever car- what would you choose?
The Blackwing and the ZL1 are manual and the C8 well is auto(duh). Lets presume practicality is out of the picture and for purposes of this discussion price is close enough that its not material. Use case is daily driver/canyon carver.

What would you choose? Go.

I’ve had/have all of them except for the C8 Z51 (currently have a C8 Z06/4V BW). It’s too hard to pick as they all have their pros and cons and it’s impossible for me to pick one. Your use case included practically IMO as you include DD in it.

Best all rounder DD hands down is the 4V BW. Plenty fast for the street and great fun in the twisties

Best tire melting/doing donuts muscle car fun is the ZL1. It’s the most tunable for huge power to $$$ ratio. Weirdly it feels heavier than the 4V BW in the canyons even though they are very similar in weight. It’s the best looking of the three.

Best canyon carver is the C8/Z51 when you align it correctly to dial out under steer. Z06 doesn’t have that issue out of the box and is obviously a Z51 on roids.

All my opinions of course from my own experience/subjective tastes.

I have a ZL1 1LE and a CT4-V Blackwing. For your use case, the CT4-V Blackwing hands down.

Interesting. Is an alignment enough to dial out the understeer? I heard otherwise.
I’ve never driven one, but my neighbor had one and he seemed to think so. Plus some videos from reviewers I trust on YT also did from when I was researching the Z51.

If you get really interested in one, go to the Corvette forum, I’m sure there are very long thread(s) on the subject.

I have a CT5-V Blackwing six-speed and just picked up a '24 C8 Z51 as a garage mate to the BW. Love the C8, but I wouldn't own it if that's my only choice versus a Blackwing.

My answer for you is CT4-V Blackwing six-speed. Awesome car, very enjoyable to drive, comfy, and very capable.

I went with a BW as I wanted something more than a 2 seater. It checks off quite a few boxes and goes nicely with the GTO's I have. Still a little slower than both 2004 GTO's but wouldn't take much to go right by them :)

For me the DD designation means decent comfort/ride quality, visibility, and little things like not scraping the car on every driveway. I'd say BW does DD the best of the three and sacrifices little if anything for canyon carving. I'd think the ZL1 may be overkill for a canyon situation when it comes to safe speeds and maintaining traction

I went with a BW as I wanted something more than a 2 seater. It checks off quite a few boxes and goes nicely with the GTO's I have. Still a little slower than both 2004 GTO's but wouldn't take much to go right by them :)

What do you have done to the GTOs?

As a C7 Z06 and 4BW owner, I'd lean 4BW for the daily driver. The 4BW can run softer and more docile in touring duties and doesn't require the level of constant attention due to better rearward visibility.

For me the DD designation means decent comfort/ride quality, visibility, and little things like not scraping the car on every driveway. I'd say BW does DD the best of the three and sacrifices little if anything for canyon carving. I'd think the ZL1 may be overkill for a canyon situation when it comes to safe speeds and maintaining traction

What do you have done to the GTOs?
All the normal stuff, heads, cam, suspension, etc. Both are stronger than the BW for now. One I've had since new and the other was from an original owner. They are both fun to drive but totally different from each other. It's a good change of pace swapping cars between the 3.

I voted ZL1 because I love that V8 sound track. Do NOT get the 1LE package - it is far too brutal for DD.

I’ve owned both the C8 and a BW4. Quite frankly, the driving experience is fairly close, but I did enjoy the C8 more. Only problem with the C8 is getting in and out of it. If the top is on. Check out YouTube videos of older men getting out of performance, sports cars and you’ll see what I mean.

I’ve owned both the C8 and a BW4. Quite frankly, the driving experience is fairly close, but I did enjoy the C8 more. Only problem with the C8 is getting in and out of it. If the top is on. Check out YouTube videos of older men getting out of performance, sports cars and you’ll see what I mean.

What made you get the blackwing after the c8? Practicality?

What made you get the blackwing after the c8? Practicality?
Other way around. I had to BW4 first then the C8. Both wonderful cars. The C8 was an exciting, exceptional, handling car. The BW four, maybe the best daily driver ever!. Now I’m driving this, lol

Attachments

• IMG_0355.jpeg
    IMG_0355.jpeg
    3.8 MB · Views: 26
  • IMG_0354.jpeg
    IMG_0354.jpeg
    3.8 MB · Views: 23
  • IMG_3014.jpeg
    IMG_3014.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 23
  • IMG_3013.jpeg
    IMG_3013.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 20
  • 68911779516__543FB322-5C8A-455A-BD56-D309E5F0ABB0.jpeg
    68911779516__543FB322-5C8A-455A-BD56-D309E5F0ABB0.jpeg
    6.4 MB · Views: 19
  • 68911780890__C1094D7B-6E50-4E0F-863C-19734E2C6AF1.jpeg
    68911780890__C1094D7B-6E50-4E0F-863C-19734E2C6AF1.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 23
  • 68911789720__535AD752-1A1E-43D4-8DB0-96A99977442E.jpeg
    68911789720__535AD752-1A1E-43D4-8DB0-96A99977442E.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 29
I do have a 2018 2SS manual, with minor bolt ons, and I now have the 5BW as my daily. I never intended for the Camaro to be a daily, as its really a garage queen, but I still lean heavily into the 5BW vs a ZL1 for the power and daily driving.

If I just wanted the muscle the ZL1 provided over the 2SS I would get one all day long and again on Sunday. I do not want to daily either though as that is not their intended purpose in my world. To each their own and what makes them happy.

Attachments

• 2023 Kars for Kids.jpg
    2023 Kars for Kids.jpg
    898.3 KB · Views: 13
ZL1 because I can daily anything and its badass. On paper a 4BW makes more sense to daily but if a ZL1 is an option I'd take it everytime for commutes, costco runs etc.

ZL1 because I can daily anything and its badass. On paper a 4BW makes more sense to daily but if a ZL1 is an option I'd take it everytime for commutes, costco runs etc.
Hows your Z06?
Is it a keeper? I know you have had a rotating door of cars in the last few years.

I love it because of the LT6. I don't know if it will be a keeper because the long term reliability is always questionable on something like this. The DCT and the LT6 could be problematic long term to make it a forever car. I don't like the idea of getting caught with a 5 figure bill out of warranty.

However because of said warranty I will at least have 5 years to figure out if I will keep it before the warranty is up so I will play it by ear. I would love to keep it though, I love the convertible and the sound is glorious.

I've also been eyeing 2019 ZR1's, I would love to have the greatest front engine manual Corvette as a forever car. I think if I found the right one I'd sell my Z06 for it but unfortunately they're very very rare in Canada and I haven't had any luck so far.

If a ZR1 doesn't pan out I think I'll keep the Z06, maybe get an extended warranty. I recently picked up a Camaro 2SS 1LE manual so at least I still have a stick shift.

The 2019 ZR1 actually led me to the CT5 blackwing. I was originally looking for a 2019 manual sebring orange ZR1 and the lack of clean examples at reasonable prices led me to the newer and more practical blackwing with similar engine and better 6 speed (as opposed to 7 speed manual).

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Delaware Cadillac

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners

Back