Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

Breaker bar or impact?

bl4ck_wng

Seasoned Member
V-Series Cadillac(s)?
2022 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing, Razor E100
What tool do you guys use to remove/swap your wheels?

Can I just bust out the big Milwaukee impact? Or will that cause all sorts of issues?

Thanks in advance

I am on team Breaker Bar

Reactions: jvp
For speed, I use an impact for removing/installing, but use a torque wrench for final install torque. Start/spin on nuts by hand before using impact for running them down.

Breaker bar to break. Impact (slow) to loosen/remove and then again to gently tighten. Torque wrench to do the final tighten. Don't use the impact to start or finish the job.

At 140 ft lbs torque for the lug nuts my battery powered Makita impact won’t move the nuts. I use a breaker bar and then the impact to remove and partially tighten the nuts then use a torque wrench to tighten.

Every tire shop and service center in the country removes the lugs with a 1/2" drive impact, so 100's of millions of data points (tires removed over the last 70 years) that this is a perfectly acceptable procedure. My 18v Milwaukee removes the lugs without drama. I hand start, then just barely snug the lugs before doing the final torque with a torque wrench.

What JVP (above) does, When replacing, start by hand then impact lightly to snug.
140 ft./lbs. My 4runner only takes 75.

Always use my Makita impact to remove. Start by hand, put impact on lowest setting to seat, then torque to 140.

I have a Ryobi 1/2” impact. On the auto setting it won’t over torque the lugs when tightening. Impact to remove, impact for initial lug install, then a torque wrench to finish the job.

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Delaware Cadillac

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners

Back