Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

Blackwing Maintenance Regimen

So odd, I heard some cars seem to like 10. My car has been reliably a 9qt machine.
My ZL1 called for 10qts as well. I assume the oil pans may be different between on the LT4s between the ZL1 and 5BW.

I believe the dipsticks are different. The end to the cross hatch is a few millimeters lower while the ZL1 dipsticks I've seen have the cross hatch pattern continue to the end of the bulb. Perhaps GM just adjusted their specs on what is sufficient for lubrication on these motors in the face of rising consumption and environmental concerns?

Is this okay? I ordered Dexos 1 gen 2 but received Dexos 1 gen 3. I assume it’s okay but want to check. 4BW.

Attachments

• 99C64055-1859-461D-A04C-864BF0C186FC.jpeg
    99C64055-1859-461D-A04C-864BF0C186FC.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 28
So odd, I heard some cars seem to like 10. My car has been reliably a 9qt machine.
Wouldn't be the 1st time GM has changed the length of dipstick and adjusted the oil fill capacities? Mine is slightly above top hash with new filter and 9qts.

Wouldn't be the 1st time GM has changed the length of dipstick and adjusted the oil fill capacities? Mine is slightly above top hash with new filter and 9qts.
Mopar does the same crap with the hellcats. Even the manual and dealers info in computer is different. Had some say 6qts and others 7. Can’t believe this with such an expensive car.

I install 8, then do the final adjustment after that has been run around the block and then sat overnight. I like the cold level to be a couple mm below the full mark and 8.5 gets me there.

For the 10qt crowd, what is your oil level cold and on level ground?

Is this okay? I ordered Dexos 1 gen 2 but received Dexos 1 gen 3. I assume it’s okay but want to check. 4BW.
I've never seen a higher generation of a fluid come out that was not backward compatible when superceding the previous generations (ex. the multiple iterations of Dexron trans fluid).

I install 8, then do the final adjustment after that has been run around the block and then sat overnight. I like the cold level to be a couple mm below the full mark and 8.5 gets me there.

For the 10qt crowd, what is your oil level cold and on level ground?
This makes me feel better. Dealership did 8.8 on my first oil change.

Thanks. Mine is the LF4 though, I have a CT4 V BW.
Can you take a picture of what you have? This is what the 4BW calls for. I buy it at Walmart to save some money, they also sell the AC Delco PF63 filter there as well.

Screenshot 2024-02-13 at 10.59.58 AM.png

I've never seen a higher generation of a fluid come out that was not backward compatible when superceding the previous generations (ex. the multiple iterations of Dexron trans fluid).
The only time I know of that happening is with the manual transmission fluid in the gen 2 CTS-V. It used Dexos 3 ATF and when the newer one came out it specifically stated to not use it, and AC Delco sold a "Manual Transmission Fluid" that was really dexos 3 ATF. But that was a special case of use ATF in a manual transmission.

I changed my 5BW oil at 500 miles about 10 months ago maybe. I’m at 4k miles with 3 track days, and it says I’m at 7%. Does that seem right after only putting 3500 miles on this oil?

I changed my 5BW oil at 500 miles about 10 months ago maybe. I’m at 4k miles with 3 track days, and it says I’m at 7%. Does that seem right after only putting 3500 miles on this oil?
Time is also factored into the algorithm for oil changes. Oil life will decrease with time. At lease a yearly change is part of the regimen.

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Delaware Cadillac

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners

Back