Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

Blackwing Maintenance Regimen

Just got back from the dealer. FYI they have switched to the new Mobil1 Supercar formula. Part number below:

With this filter:

Just to add: Amsoil already exceeds Dexos R specs, and will be adding the logo to their signature series. Press release here: GM dexos R Raises the Motor-Oil Bar for High-Performance Engines - AMSOIL Blog

Just got back from the dealer. FYI they have switched to the new Mobil1 Supercar formula. Part number below:

With this filter:

Just to add: Amsoil already exceeds Dexos R specs, and will be adding the logo to their signature series. Press release here: GM dexos R Raises the Motor-Oil Bar for High-Performance Engines - AMSOIL Blog
Be careful with Amsoil. They said they are adding the logo, but not submitting for certification.

They are fairly notorious for this. GM could absolutely deny a claim if you use a non-R certified oil.

Be careful with Amsoil. They said they are adding the logo, but not submitting for certification.

They are fairly notorious for this. GM could absolutely deny a claim if you use a non-R certified oil.
Good warning. I wouldn't use them anyways, as they are WAY more expensive than the M1 Supercar quarts.

Just a heads up for people reading this. Use only the approved oil for the Blackwing unless you don't care about warranty. GM can easily test the oil and void the warranty claim if unapproved non-certified oil is used. This is why you should always use GM oil (Mobil1 Supercar) in your Blackwing.

Where is the best place to buy M1 Supercar 0W-40 for the 5BW? I don't want to get it from Amazon or Ebay as it seems hard to trust anything is proper from those sources. I suppose I could likely pick it up at the dealer, but not sure if they are gouging people on price per quart.

Need to pick some up in the next month to do my first change...

Thanks!

one of the better prices, i get my ZL1 oil from them, same oil.

This package is $133, exactly what the dealer charges. So you’re not saving any money (if that was the intent). It does save you from any fuckery the dealer might do though.
I really haven't found anywhere that saves you money on this oil. Even at Summit Racing you need two boxes at 66/box so that's basically the same price without a filter. However you'd have 2 qts extra each time and still need a filter.

It only saves you money if you do it yourself and not pay the labor, or you go somewhere that's cheaper to do the oil change itself.

I buy the oil at a local Autozone or Walmart online. It’s not so much about saving money, it’s piece of mind that the job was done right. Plus, it gives me the opportunity to look around under the car.

Thanks everyone. Not looking to save money necessarily, just want to do it myself and make sure everything is done right and take a look underneath. I have the benefit of a 4-post lift in my garage.

I tried swinging by my local Advance Auto and Pep Boys, neither could order the oil for me so figured online or at the dealer was probably my only choice.

I will check out speedway. Already was looking over summitracing.

Where is the best place to buy M1 Supercar 0W-40 for the 5BW? I don't want to get it from Amazon or Ebay as it seems hard to trust anything is proper from those sources. I suppose I could likely pick it up at the dealer, but not sure if they are gouging people on price per quart.

Need to pick some up in the next month to do my first change...

Thanks!
Walmart online has the best price on M1 supercar 0w40 at less than $10 a quart.

What is everyone’s thought on using the UPF64R filter which is an upgraded acdelco gold filter? Would this void a warranty?

IMG_2229.png

Attachments

• IMG_2229.png
    IMG_2229.png
    333.5 KB · Views: 20
I used the UPF48R gold series filter on my '09 Z06 but heard about different pressure by pass settings in the filter and apparently some on the corvette forum are weary about using it on the LT4 so Im sticking with the pf64. As a side note my car took all of 10 quarts of oil with the filter even though the manual says 9.

So odd, I heard some cars seem to like 10. My car has been reliably a 9qt machine.

So odd, I heard some cars seem to like 10. My car has been reliably a 9qt machine.
According to my dealer service mine was 8.8...? .2 quarts seems like a rounding error and 9 would have fit, but don't know why they did 8.8.

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Delaware Cadillac

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners

Back