Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

Blackwing Maintenance Regimen

SOP

Seasoned Member
In regards to the 4BW, manual says change the oil when either the light comes on, 7500mi, or time-wise not more than a year.

My favorite thing to do is to head to Wal-Mart and get my favorite oil: Pennzoil Platinum which are one of the very few true synthetic oils made from natural gas, and depending on how good the factory oil filter is, I might get a high quality one from Mobil one while I'm at it.

GM says the break-in period is 1500 miles. I personally like to do the initial oil change around 500 miles on all my cars. Get rid of all those new engine wear particles, all the silicone and sealants involved in the assembly process(mixing itself into the oil), and then do oil changes religiously at 5k intervals, which should be very generous in my usage case and the high quality of the oil being used. Cheap insurance for ensuring engine longevity.

I use reviews of the dealership service department to find one with not only the best service possible, but the best service advisor and develop a relationship with them. They can make or break the experience when dealing with the ups and downs of owning a high performance car that will probably make unexpected service visits, especially on a 1st/2nd model year car. They can either be your advocate when dealing with the manufacturer on warranty issues, or they can just throw your ass to the wolves if you're an asshole.

So what's everyone's plan on maintaining these vehicles? Factory service and fluids, or DIY because you trust only yourself?

Last edited:
I do all of my own maintenance. On an engine I build myself I do the first oil change early as you suggest. But I have been lead to believe that GM breaks in these engines and changes oil before installation. So my oil changes are 3000 miles as long as I own it
It sounds like the PF64 filter is different than the PF48 used on previous LS engines although the mounting threads are the same.

DIY because I only trust myself. Changed oil semi early after 3500 easy miles. Will be at 5000 mile increments from now on. Mobile 1 ESP D2 with pf64 filter.

I just had mine changed at the dealership with 3k miles. I’ll probably go every 5k miles going forward. I’ve known the service manager for almost 20 years. It does go a long way.

No dealer is going to use the same care as I do when changing the oil. I always look over everything else while there. I've never used their free oil change. I can get free oil changes on my car from the shop where I work, but don't do that, either. I'll probably do an "early" oil change on this car.

In regards to the 4BW, manual says change the oil when either the light comes on, 7500mi, or time-wise not more than a year.

My favorite thing to do is to head to Wal-Mart and get my favorite oil: Pennzoil Platinum/Ultra Platinum which are one of the very few true synthetic oils made from natural gas, and depending on how good the factory oil filter is, I might get a high quality one from Mobil one while I'm at it.

Is this oil Dexos 2 rated?

I've only read the manual for the 4 BW. And it needs dexos1, which it is rated for. This will be my first GM car so I didn't know there was a dexos 2

If the 4 is OK with Dexos 1 check out Kirklands (Costco) line of synthetic oils. Four, five quart jugs with free shipping for $66.
Pennzoil Platinum is $20 for 5qt jug. I'd rather pay a few extra dollars a jug and get one of the purest synthetic oils available. I don't know of another major brand that derives their oil from natural gas.

Obviously it's all preference and as long as it meets manufacturers spec, it should be all good. I just personally want the best.

Last edited:
Since it was brought up... Anyone know why the LT4 has a dexos2 recommendation?

Looks like the stuff is primarily for DPF equipped vehicles.

Since it was brought up... Anyone know why the LT4 has a dexos2 recommendation?

Looks like the stuff is primarily for DPF equipped vehicles.
As I recall it's Dexos Gen2, not Dexos2 but I'll check shortly.

It's Dexos2 for the LT4. There is also a Dexos1 Gen2 that is used in LSY (2.0T L4) and LGY (3.0TT V6).

Here's GM's Dexos2 list of suppliers, Dexos 2 approved oils, which if you wanted Pennzoil, you would get their Euro L spec oil.

I don't know the weight of oil for 5BW, but it's 5w-30 for the 4

Pennzoil Euro L
5BW is 0W-40. There are only 2 options that are Dexos2. Mobil 1 ESP, and Castrol Edge (which doesn't appear to be available).

Last edited:
I had bad and terrific service from the same dealer. Completely agree on a mechanic and service writer.
As far as oil changes...I may or may not prepay for the oil changes ( that relationship building).
my last LS2 i gave beans pulling out from the dealers lot. Drove that car HARD.
On a subject of oil, and by no mean I want to turn this post into another oil discussion...I will use full synthetic Group 4.
In my garage i have to have oil for the fords performance (5w50, the one that meets the spec is motocraft one or redline oil), Trackhawk is 0w40 ( SRT labeled penzoil bottle is what i get from dealer/retailer).
I have some amsoil, royal purple that i would not hesitate to tap off if i was in a bind.
I am firm believer in doing REGULAR maintenance vs relying on a "15,000 mile oil change" or whatever marketing or fad of the day. However some of my cars have "smart sensor" i believe.... with 7,500 oil change or light first 2 oil changes resulted in under 3k mile service interval.
500 miles first oil change - yes and no. Typically yes, however I had a vehicle that gave me hell in initial break-in/sealing. I used up over a quart of oil in under first couple of hundred miles. so technically first oil change on that motor went over 1k miles. to each his/her own logic.
I have my believes/reasoning but i would listen, try, change/adjust my routine, get oil analysis to review my approach. I am not concern with price of the oil change rather with detergent properties and doing more harm by short circuiting the oil intervals. Once again, for me it is part of the owning the car, trending break-in and wear of the engine.

The GM oil change algorithm is pretty sophisticated and very well engineered. I know when they developed it they ran a vette motor the equivalent of 100k at exactly 55 mph on a single oil change and the oil came back from lab testing that it still had life left and the motor showed pretty much no wear. RPM, load, temp, etc. all play large roles in how long the oil lasts and it can go a VERY long time under certain conditions.

If you're not comfortable with their algorithm then send a sample off to blackstone labs and have an oil analysis ran. It's not very expensive. I have a twin turbo Q50 Red Sport and took it to 5 100+ degree track days. After 3,300 miles the oil had a TON of life still left in it after I sent it in and am going to try 5k next time at the labs suggestion. It would be difficult for anyone to run a car as hard and in worse conditions than what I did that car for those miles. Modern oil is light years superior and changing too often is just a waste of money and natural resources.

I'd be hesitant on mobil filters. They typically don't test well.

The GM oil change algorithm is pretty sophisticated and very well engineered. I know when they developed it they ran a vette motor the equivalent of 100k at exactly 55 mph on a single oil change and the oil came back from lab testing that it still had life left and the motor showed pretty much no wear. RPM, load, temp, etc. all play large roles in how long the oil lasts and it can go a VERY long time under certain conditions.

If you're not comfortable with their algorithm then send a sample off to blackstone labs and have an oil analysis ran. It's not very expensive. I have a twin turbo Q50 Red Sport and took it to 5 100+ degree track days. After 3,300 miles the oil had a TON of life still left in it after I sent it in and am going to try 5k next time at the labs suggestion. It would be difficult for anyone to run a car as hard and in worse conditions than what I did that car for those miles. Modern oil is light years superior and changing too often is just a waste of money and natural resources.

I'd be hesitant on mobil filters. They typically don't test well.
Thanks for the info, I have to look up that test that they did with the Corvette motor as it sounds interesting. I just wanted to get that initial oil change out of the way with any gunk and sealants that will end up in your oil due to it being a brand new engine.

It's Dexos2 for the LT4. There is also a Dexos1 Gen2 that is used in LSY (2.0T L4) and LGY (3.0TT V6).
8AE2EE79-BFC3-4EC5-A7AB-8A4B4973FCFA.jpeg

I’m seeing Dexos 1 Gen 2 or am I reading that incorrectly from the manual

View attachment 7689
I’m seeing Dexos 1 Gen 2 or am I reading that incorrectly from the manual
The downloaded 2022 CT5 manual I have has this below the 2nd paragraph:

For the 6.2L V8 (LT4) engine, use
SAE 0W-40 viscosity grade engine oil.
GM recommends Mobil 1 engine oil
that shows the dexos2 approved logo.

Your manual capture does not even list the LT4. Is that a 2022 manual?

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Delaware Cadillac

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners

Back