Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

Best mode for controlled slides

savethemanual

Seasoned Member
V-Series Cadillac(s)?
2023 CT4 V blackwing
Any recommendations for what the best mode for a bit of tail out fun would be? My previous car was a brz and it would slide its tail out with tc on. I have never managed to get the blackwing to slide apart from a first gear turn and dump the revs. Even then it didn’t seem smooth but rather like the tc was working to get me back straight.

Ps- obviously will do it in a safe place.

So there is a bit of a hidden mode called "Competion Mode" which doesnt limit wheel spin. Set PTM to Sport. Then press the traction control button 2x, give it about a second or two between presses and you should see a message on the right side of your instrument display. You should be able to find this buried in the Blackwing Manual addendum in your owners manual packet.

Alternatively, you can try to press and hold the traction control button for 5+ sec which should disengage everything.

PTM Sport. I had a ton of fun at SM AutoX using this mode to steer with the right foot and power slide my way thru the course.

So there is a bit of a hidden mode called "Competion Mode" which doesnt limit wheel spin. Set PTM to Sport. Then press the traction control button 2x, give it about a second or two between presses and you should see a message on the right side of your instrument display. You should be able to find this buried in the Blackwing Manual addendum in your owners manual packet.

Alternatively, you can try to press and hold the traction control button for 5+ sec which should disengage everything.
Wait. I didn’t realize competition mode was still a thing. Had it on my 6th gen camaro . Similar button press.

As you read the responses, reference what car the responder has. (4 BW or 5 BW). When it comes to this topic the two vehicles act totally different.

As you read the responses, reference what car the responder has. (4 BW or 5 BW). When it comes to this topic the two vehicles act totally different.
How so, other than it being easier to break the tires loose with more power in the 5?

If you want to hang the tail out you need to turn active handling off. That means one of the track-race modes or the long press everything off.

BTW, it’s hard to get the tail out under power because adding power will unweight the front and give you less front grip and more rear. The exception is if you can add enough power quickly enough to shock the tire to break traction.

It’s easier to get oversteer by loading the car up laterally under power and then lift to unweight the rear. I don’t recommend any of this on public roads.

How so, other than it being easier to break the tires loose with more power in the 5?
Correct. What he describes as to how the car reacts to throttle input and sliding, is only the case with the 4. On a 5 it is so easy to slide the car around. If someone was used to 4 and got in a 5 they would have to be much more careful.

5BW, not hard to get the back to step out at all. I have done in a few modes but most of the time in "my mode" with the ptm at least invasive setting. Even with tc on in tour it will swing but will shortly there after cut it.

There are alot of different ways to get it to step out, weight transfer, power, very hard braking... Try a few til you find what you are most comfortable with. Just put it in race mode and have at it!

edit... after re reading, I may be mistaken on what you are talking about. do you mean to get it to slide or to maintain the slide? 4BW will prob be harder to maintain as its a turbo car.

I think OP wants the key to those long power slides the car mags always use in their photo shoots. I always have images of me leaving a driveway with clouds of tire smoke billowing up from the tires as the rear gracefully breaks out and then gently slides back where it should be.

Unfortunately, its harder than it looks..........I have to lift to avoid spinning too far.

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Delaware Cadillac

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners

Back