Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

CT5-V 5BW v. 4BW

CT5-V Model
I wanted a 5 but couldnt quite come to terms with a 6-figure GM car. I dont need the extra space and the more I looked at the 4 the more it seemed to actually fit what I needed and wanted from a car in this class.

Now that I have a 4 its been great and I dont think the shorter range of the thirstier 5 would fit my long distance driving style very well. Ive also seen a lot more problems with the 5 from nuked engines to cats.

And the instructors at Spring Mtn say the 5 is only 1 sec quicker around the track than the 4, obviously in street driving the 5 is a gorilla. No lift shift on the 5 doesnt really offer much but on the 4 its a real visceral experience that I cant over sell. Plus if you need winter tires the 5 is harder to shop for.

No doubt the 5 looks better and sounds better but its a Samurai sword and the 4 is a pocket knife.
Yes, the engineers at GM if you polled them which one they would buy everything put into perspective? I would bet they would go for the 4 because of the "value" and the 4 has it in spades!

I have to disagree about the 4V BW backseats, it depends on your usage for the car. My 13 year old and her friends are just fine back there. Also, my wife is 5’7” and has ridden back there with no complaints. I even specifically asked her about it and she said she never had the thought it was too small.

These aren‘t 911 seats, those I would agree are only good enough for a gym bag.
Yeah +1 here. I have seen this pretty often that the rear seats are as unusable as the Camaro and other 2 door cars and I just shake my head. My Camaro was an absolute nightmare to fit anyone in. In the 4 blackwing I have had adults fit comfortably in the back.

My '04 GTO had surprisingly roomy back seats for a 2dr car. More room than my '98 Caddy STS.

In 2015 I had my mother get an ATS sedan and room/size was her main complaint, back seat and trunk. When it got totaled in a hit and run while parked, I then found her a '17 CTS. The ATS vs CTS size relationship carried over fairly the same as the CT4 vs CT5. That was one pro of the CT5 for me with having two young boys. However, they both have never rode in my car yet which I've had since March 2022.

I really, really, really wanted to buy a 4BW for many of the reasons enumerated above - much lower cost, great size, plenty of power, lighter weight, etc. Also had in mind a memorable high speed test drive in an ATS-V sedan a few years back that was quite an eye opener. But at 6'2" with 34" inseam, no adult could even try to fit behind me. I don't even push the driver's seat all the way back in any car but the back seats of the 4BW are pretty much unusable for me once I am positioned. I take adult passengers in my cars several times a week so I ordered a 5BW.

I'm so glad I'm 5'8" lmao. Little one fits behind me just fine. Of anyone complains, it's usually my partner complaining about front passenger legroom because of her long legs & platform boots! She's gotta scoot waaaaay back, lol.

If they were the same price I don't think anyone would ever pick a 4 over the 5. For me, 4 it was because the 5 is out of my price range. 5 is definitely the superior car.
Aside from acceleration and space, they are amazingly close performance wise with the 4V winning in a couple of categories on some tests I’ve read (braking/skid pad grip). So no, it isn’t as clear cut as that IMO and some people prefer the smaller car and the intangibles that go with it.

Hope you can get in a 5V someday so you are in the car you really want.

Aside from acceleration and space, they are amazingly close performance wise with the 4V winning in a couple of categories on some tests I’ve read (braking/skid pad grip). So no, it isn’t as clear cut as that IMO and some people prefer the smaller car and the intangibles that go with it.

If you only look at the numbers but in reality one will ask less of you to produce fast lap times, take both on the same track and the 5 equipped with its more powerful engine, bigger brakes and larger wheels/tires will be a more relaxed experience to achieve laps 1-2 seconds faster than the 4. In the 4 you will need to be closer to the 9-10/10 driving to even think of following the 5, while in the 5 you'll be driving 7-8/10 and stomping the 4 with ease.

Two different experiences, I am happy there is such big of a difference in there pricing, in my specs it's basically 41k cad savings if I don't get my 5 allocation and run a 4 next season.

I would get a 4BW for track use, less cost upfront and down the line. I don’t plan to track my 5BW. I honestly don’t get the premise that the 5 used on the street is too big, has too much HP, or is not a good DD (gas cost aside). The too much HP argument I believe comes from the false idea that it’s necessarily to mash the gas pedal to enjoy the car. I don’t find that to be the case, the car is an excellent comfortable cruiser. I would say because of the great torque it’s actually a better cruiser than lower torque cars including the 4BW.

Both cars are nutty expensive - over twice as much as any prior new car - but the 5 is worth it to me. V8 + MT was the only thing I had any interest in.

And like others pointed out, I also rationalized the extra $$$ because I believe I'll always be able to get my money back if I need to.

Think New Amsterdam GIF by NBC
Anticipation Popcorn GIF

De
If you only look at the numbers but in reality one will ask less of you to produce fast lap times, take both on the same track and the 5 equipped with its more powerful engine, bigger brakes and larger wheels/tires will be a more relaxed experience to achieve laps 1-2 seconds faster than the 4. In the 4 you will need to be closer to the 9-10/10 driving to even think of following the 5, while in the 5 you'll be driving 7-8/10 and stomping the 4 with ease.

Two different experiences, I am happy there is such big of a difference in there pricing, in my specs it's basically 41k cad savings if I don't get my 5 allocation and run a 4 next season.
Depends on the track, of course.

I meant on paper. The 5BW is the flagship.

I'm extremely happy with my purchase. The 4BW is amazing, a much nicer car than I've ever owned. I prefer the smaller vehicle too.

I keep my cars for 8-10 years, I'm not sure cars like these will be around then.

In my experience, this is what makes the slower car more fun to drive. The performance limits of both the 4BW and 5BW are extremely high, especially for the street but you don't have to push the 4BW as hard as the 5BW to "wake it up" so to speak. That said, a Miata is ideal for being able to winding out the gears and whipping it around on the street without risking your license. :)

As for the track lap times, it really depends on the track. If it is a tighter technical track then the 4BW will have the edge. A road course with long straights then the 5BW will be able to take advantage of the extra horsepower and higher speed. I have seen similar comparisons with the Camaro 1LE (455hp) and ZL1(650hp). Of course, the driver makes all the difference in the world.

Last edited:
The 5 is a lot of money. I never would have spent it (over spent) if my idea wasn't to keep it forever. I don't want to use the "collector" word, but along those lines. I'd love to have a 4 as a DD. I think that would be an excellent choice. Good size, better on gas, still very quick, fun to drive.

As far as a track car, I'd get a 4. Cheaper, more nimble, probably more fun. I do know, at SM, me and my 4 could not keep up with the 5's on the straights. I could make up some time in the curves, but not on the straighter sections.

I would get a 4BW for track use, less cost upfront and down the line. I don’t plan to track my 5BW. I honestly don’t get the premise that the 5 used on the street is too big, has too much HP, or is not a good DD (gas cost aside). The too much HP argument I believe comes from the false idea that it’s necessarily to mash the gas pedal to enjoy the car. I don’t find that to be the case, the car is an excellent comfortable cruiser. I would say because of the great torque it’s actually a better cruiser than lower torque cars including the 4BW.
5BW is a great cruiser, it is a very well rounded performance sedan, which makes it very special. You just have to set proper expectations for those who have never owned a vehicle with such high performance limits. Some folks may expect a more visceral experience when looking at the spec sheet. On the street, cruising in the 5BW is like jogging for an Olympic sprinter. So simple and easy to do, which is great that you know you have this capability at your disposal but can be a bit boring or frustrating for enthusiast looking for more. I have heard the same from folks that purchased the new C8 Stingray. Almost too refined and leaves them wanting more. Z06 is the answer there but still needs a manual transmission.

I've had a 5BW six-speed for over 2 years and absolutely love it. Just got back from a 1,300 mile rally and there was nothing else that could hang over bumpy back mountain roads through CO, AZ, and UT due to the incredible compliance and control of the mag suspension and big torque out of corners. Made me love the 5BW even more and it's a forever keeper (as long as it doesn't fall apart or become a big problem. Great so far in 11k hard miles!)

That said, for the right price, I'd take a 4BW for a track toy and around town weekend/daily beater to replace my recently bought '24 Corolla GR (really fun car too in it's own right!). Waiting for the sub $60k purchase price of a decent option new 4BW. :D

On that front, if you can swing the upfront cost of a 5BW, it will absolutely hold long-term value much better than 4BW, especially the six-speeds. It's just a fact due to last of breed and unique aspect of a supercharged V8 strapped to a six-speed. So, long-term ownership cost could arguably be cheaper with a 5BW.

I've had a 5BW six-speed for over 2 years and absolutely love it. Just got back from a 1,300 mile rally and there was nothing else that could hang over bumpy back mountain roads through CO, AZ, and UT due to the incredible compliance and control of the mag suspension and big torque out of corners. Made me love the 5BW even more and it's a forever keeper (as long as it doesn't fall apart or become a big problem. Great so far in 11k hard miles!)

That said, for the right price, I'd take a 4BW for a track toy and around town weekend/daily beater to replace my recently bought '24 Corolla GR (really fun car too in it's own right!). Waiting for the sub $60k purchase price of a decent option new 4BW. :D

On that front, if you can swing the upfront cost of a 5BW, it will absolutely hold long-term value much better than 4BW, especially the six-speeds. It's just a fact due to last of breed and unique aspect of a supercharged V8 strapped to a six-speed. So, long-term ownership cost could arguably be cheaper with a 5BW.
That GR Corolla looks like a fun car. Does it live up to the hype? Tough to wrap my head around a $40k+ Corolla though.

That GR Corolla looks like a fun car. Does it live up to the hype? Tough to wrap my head around a $40k+ Corolla though.
Savagegeese did a shitbox shoot out (Corolla, type r, n, sti, vwr) and GR was seen as a econobox pushed to its max. Overheated on track multiple times. It’s great for shooting through snow and slippery roads but for track, they said to look elsewhere.

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Delaware Cadillac

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners

Back