Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

4BW vs M340i

Grainofsand

Seasoned Member
Has anyone considered the M340i when purchasing the 4BW? If so, what made you go with the 4BW? They seem to be very close in price. BMW claims 382 hp for the M340i, but it is faster than the 472 hp 4BW in both 0-60 and 1/4 mile. The M340i also seems to be tuneable. It also gets 23 mpg city vs 16 mpg for the 4BW.

Last edited:
Faster in a straight line isn't as exciting as being faster on a road course. The 4BW will run circles around the M340i on a track. I wanted a truly track ready, hot lapping all day, very capable car that I have to do nothing to besides replacing tires and brake pads every now and then, and have room to carry the 3 5 gallon fuel cans which is very necessary for tracking this car. And of course, being able to drive to the track and back home in comfort. The M340i is a street car, with no real track intentions. The 4BW is a street car that can double as a reliable track car. I'm not really interested in tuning or heavily modifying my 4BW, so tunability was never an issue. I wanted something phenomenal out of the showroom floor and Cadillac delivered.

Plus I'm generally not a fan of modern BMWs unless it has a Toyota badge. Even then, a Supra is still a pretty compromised car from a design and engineering standpoint, as Toyota had to work around the hard points of the Z4 chassis.

Oh, and the Blackwings have buttons. And a manual.

Last edited:
If it’s just about speed…probably the BMW. I wanted a manual so there really was no choice

BMW m performance models don't deserve the M badge. Just like CT5 V and CT4 V don't deserve the V badge and AMG 43 and 53 models don't deserve the AMG badge. All these midrange models just dilute the performance brands of these makes. Cadillac diluted their V performance badge so much that they had to make a confusing new one based on an engine they no longer make.

BMW m performance models don't deserve the M badge. Just like CT5 V and CT4 V don't deserve the V badge and AMG 43 and 53 models don't deserve the AMG badge. All these midrange models just dilute the performance brands of these makes. Cadillac diluted their V performance badge so much that they had to make a confusing new one based on an engine they no longer make.
Agreed.
Give me the true performance models, or nothing.

Has anyone considered the M340i when purchasing the 4BW? If so, what made you go with the 4BW? They seem to be very close in price. BMW claims 382 hp for the M340i, but it is faster than the 472 hp 4BW in both 0-60 and 1/4 mile. The M340i also seems to be tuneable.
I test drove a 2021 M340 last time I was looking for a car and went with an Alfa Giulia instead. The Alfa was way more fun, even down 100 horsepower.

The M340 is really quick, but like a lot of modern BMWs, it's very isolated. If all you want it for is to crush a long highway commute, it's probably the perfect car; I can't think of something else I'd rather buy in that price point.

The BW is a marginally worse highway cruiser (I commute in mine and it's still excellent; magride rules), but so much more fun around town, on back roads, and on the track. And it doesn't have stupid screens on the inside.

I test drove a 2021 M340 last time I was looking for a car and went with an Alfa Giulia instead. The Alfa was way more fun, even down 100 horsepower.

The M340 is really quick, but like a lot of modern BMWs, it's very isolated. If all you want it for is to crush a long highway commute, it's probably the perfect car; I can't think of something else I'd rather buy in that price point.

The BW is a marginally worse highway cruiser (I commute in mine and it's still excellent; magride rules), but so much more fun around town, on back roads, and on the track. And it doesn't have stupid screens on the inside.
THE BMW SCREEEEENS 😭

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Delaware Cadillac

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners