Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

No cylinder deactivation on the 5Wing Manual transmission?

revvhigh

Seasoned Member
V-Series Cadillac(s)?
CT5-V Blackwing
I was going to get this tuned out but heard a rumor that since I wisely selected the stick shift, I am already deactivation-less. Is there a way to confirm this is true?

I've never noticed any cylinders deactivating but if GM was slick enough about it, I suppose it coulda happened and I wouldn't notice...

The 4 and 5 BW do not have cylinder deactivation or shut all the way off when stopped. I hate that shit. My 991.2 even had it. Each time I started the car I had to turn that feature off.

The 4 and 5 BW do not have cylinder deactivation or shut all the way off when stopped. I hate that shit. My 991.2 even had it. Each time I started the car I had to turn that feature off.
Funny. The guys at the Cadillac Academy in Pahrump told me it definitely had deactivation when I went out there for the 3 days.

IMG_5839.gif

At least on the M7 C7 Z06s, the LT4 AFM would only engage in Eco mode. In the other drive modes it would not engage. Also, the A8 cars won't engage AFM if in manual shifter mode. I don't know how the 5BW functions, but my guess is it would behave similarly.

The LF4 doesn't have AFM nor auto start stop.

Manuals DO NOT have AFM. Autos DO (at least the 5, can't remember on the 4). You'll see the V4 icon in green on the dash when it kicks in, mainly on the highway. NONE have auto shut off.....thankfully.

Have you M6 5BW owners tried driving in snow/ice mode and seeing if AFM activates?

Have you M6 5BW owners tried driving in snow/ice mode and seeing if AFM activates?
Have driven in Weather mode & it does NOT activate.

I noticed that when I'm on the highway, especially in 6th gear, and deaccelerate, the exhaust makes a really odd sound, kind of like a JAKE brake on a semi although certainly not as loud. I always assumed that it was related to the AFM. BW5/6-spd.

I noticed that when I'm on the highway, especially in 6th gear, and deaccelerate, the exhaust makes a really odd sound, kind of like a JAKE brake on a semi although certainly not as loud. I always assumed that it was related to the AFM. BW5/6-spd.
One of the fuel economy related pages (right side I believe) will give an indicator of V4 or V8, showing if AFM is engaged or not. At least on my A8 C7 Z06, that indicator is really the only way I can tell it's activated.

Last edited:
Definitely no AFM in the 5BW manual. I'd be okay if it did... it was very smooth in our C7 Z06 7M. Super happy our BWs don't have ASS!

Attachments

• 20170223_175357.jpg
    20170223_175357.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 27
The net of it is that AFM is only worth about ~1mpg. More trouble than it is worth. You need special lifters that are known to fail, ECU programming, AFM exhaust valves that need to open and close when AFM activates and deactivates so the exhaust doesn't sounds like crap. Those exhaust valves would stick, rattle or fail.

Just a bunch of stuff that increases cost and complexity yet yields very little benefit. Don't even get started on the stop/start technology.

Last edited:
The net of it is that AFM is only worth about ~1mpg. More trouble than it is worth. You need special lifters that are known to fail, ECU programming, AFM exhaust valves that need to open and close when AFM activates and deactivates so the exhaust doesn't sounds like crap. Those exhaust valves would stick, rattle or fail.

Just a bunch of stuff that increases cost and complexity yet yields very little benefit. Don't even get started on the stop/start technology.
Total agreement. I have a 2020 6.2L Sierra 1/2 ton with that stuff, and even though I have not had problems, I am likely to trade it before the powertrain warranty is up.

NO WAY I want that junk on an LT4.

The LT4 (M6) in the ZL1 and BW5 have the AFM lifter, but it is disabled in the tune.
Does that imply the LT4 M6 also has all the other parts listed in the video above. Like the high pressure oil pump and the cam.

Last edited:
Don't even get started on the stop/start technology.
I had s/s on my Porsche Panamera S with the big V8 (non-turbo) and I experimented a bit with it... I noticed a 2 MPG improvement for in-town driving during the Winter (no A/C). That was just an experiment, I had it turned off the rest of the time because it was so annoying. It rarely ever did it in the summer with the AC blasting.

My wife's newish 2024 BMW X5 4.0 has s/s and it is no longer defeatable in the BMW, so it does its thing all of the freakin' time. It has gotten much better than it used to be, but still it requires more thought and effort to drive the car smoothly, especially if one wants to come to a smooth stop and not have passenger heads bobbing around. For what it is, a powerful and very large car, it does get exceptionally good gas mileage. I'm still not convinced that it's worth the trade-off though.

I'm not thrilled with the $2500 (or whatever it was) gas guzzler tax that I had to pay on the BW, but I am glad that we can turn this nonsense off on our cars.

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Delaware Cadillac

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners

Back